“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Beijing
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Got a great deal for an overnight B&B and 8 course tasting menu last weekend. Everything about the stay was simply lovely and so comfortable. The staff were excellent and were very welcoming. If you are a person who loves good food and wants a lovely relaxing overnight stay to go with it this is the place to go. Its surrounded by lovely woodland and the drive up is beautiful, especially in the Autumn. The rooms are very comfortable and cosy - just perhaps make sure you are in a room not near the bar if you are a light sleeper but it did not have a major effect on us. For a romantic night away book it now - it was so perfect that we even got engaged. We did'nt try the spa but it looked fantastic and would love to come back to do a cooking course- especially after tasting the food which was fantastic. All in all a really lovely short break.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear BeijingexpatChina,

Thank you very much for your recent review, we really appreciate the positive feedback relating to our staff & property.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the food experience too, keep an eye on our website for a list of courses for the cookery school where you can see an outline for each course.
Once again thank you for the feedback and congratulations on your engagement, don't forget we do weddings too!!

Paul Mernagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were excited about our trip as we had decided to book a suite so we were looking forward to chilling out for a couple of days in a bit of luxury. What a disappointment...the suite was a lovely size but extremely tatty. The couch looked like it should have been thrown out many years ago and looked dirty. The bathroom was awful. It was very dated and there were pubic hairs in the bath and tiles that looked like they were coming off the wall. The towels and face cloths were thin and the cotton balls in the glass jar clearly had been handled. The TV was prehistoric. The food was average. The breakfast was particularly disappointing, I went to get some fruit and I had to pick up 4 different bowls before I found a clean one, they were stained with dried pieces of cereal/porridge. It turned me right off. We got bread but no butter, asked for poached eggs and got fried, the orange juice is from a carton, not fresh. The staff are all lovely, helpful, friendly & polite but clearly untrained and there seemed to be no one there to give direction.

Dear SangriaLady,

Many thanks for your recent review of our hotel. Let me firstly apologise if you did not enjoy your stay with us; I can assure you that your feedback is taken very seriously and I have carried out a full investigation.
I am sorry you feel the bathrooms are dated, they are not super modern bathrooms as this is a Country House with a little more of a country feel to it; I could find no evidence to suggest that any tiles were falling off the walls. After a thorough check of the towels and facecloths I could find none as you described as thin. The cotton balls in the jar are checked everyday however I do accept that there may have been one or two handled.
Regarding the food, I am sorry if you came across bowls that were not perfectly clean, this is not acceptable & it is something that has been rectified. The orange juice is squeezed by the Breakfast Chef everyday.
We take the reviews that are written about the hotel very seriously, I have to hold my hands up when we are not perfect but at the same time I have to defend the hotel when I feel that some points are unjust.
I do hope you read this reply and appreciate my points, I would hope to welcome you back again; if only to prove to you that we are better than your description in this review. If you would like to contact me to discuss this further please do not hesitate to email me your details at: pmernagh@dunbrodyhouse.com.
As always thank you for your feedback, I look forward to the chance to welcome you back to see us again in the future.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here recently as we got a great deal through their website. Was really looking forward to it as have heard a lot about it over the years. On arrival we were promptly shown to our room. My first reaction was that the room was very dark, I realise that it's an old house and the decor is in keeping with it's age but it felt a little tired. I know previous reviewers have commented on the TV system in the room, have to agree. While you don't visit somewhere like Dunbrody to watch TV, you would expect a more modern system with a few more channels. The bathroom felt very dated and defintely could do with a revamp.

We had dinner in the restaurant, the food was good but was not blown away by it. It's quite expensive and I didn't feel that it lived up to the hype. The bar area is very nice and guy who was in there was very pleasant and helpful.

As I said at the start we got a great deal on the room but had we paid the normal price I would have felt quite hard done by, I would not have felt it was worth it. If you are going to charge those prices you have to provide 5* rooms and equipment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Dublintwinkle,

Thanks for the recent review of your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback and will do our best to learn from it and improve where we can.
We did have a shortage of channels during the Saorview changeover however I can assure you we are back to normal again now and are fully equipped.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant & the service in the bar.
Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back to Dunbrody again in the future.

Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Drive out to Hook Head, have a pint and lunch in Duncannon on way back, then enjoy the friendly welcome and really great food at Dunbrody House. Pity there is no leasure facilities like pool etc but very enjoyable.
The spa was not as successful for my wife though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear ConorTipp,

We thank you for leaving your recent review!

Glad to read that you enjoyed your visit to Dunbrody, perhaps you could send me an email at pmernagh@dunbrodyhouse.com to let me know about your Spa experience.

Thank you for your comments regarding the food, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Fab House, Fab People , Fab Food , Had one of the best weekends away with my lovely wife in the lovely chilled out house, treated like a long family on a visit rather that a guest . The food in both the restaurant & the bar ( we eat in both ) was some of the best food I have eaten in a long time .Bedroom was warm , comfortable & very relaxing . Staff were genuine & showed a real interest in all the guests & reflects the way the owner & his wife treat their guests. Irish hospitality & Irish Food at its best .

Dear JoeBlogs2009,

Thank you so much for the fabulous review! We really appreciate the lovely comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.
Glad to read that you enjoyed the food, staff & bedroom.

We are already looking forward to your next visit to us.

Best Regards,
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We spent two nights in the Dunbrody House, in a suite. This is not a luxury hotel. I would call it a superior property. Much of the hotel is in need up updating and renovation, including the suite. Some of the common rooms have been renovated and are quite lovely. In our suite, however, I did not feel comfortable sitting on the sofa or on the upholstered chairs. They felt old and not particularly clean. I did not feel comfortable walking around without my shoes. The bathroom included a shower that was tiny and in need of rechaulking to remove the black around the edges. The towels were very thin. The bed was very comfortable.

I am not suggesting avoiding this hotel. The hotel is ok, it is just not a luxury property. The staff was very nice and friendly. We ate a casual meal in the bar upon our arrival and the food was delicious. Our breakfast was wonderful.

Dear KarenPNJ,

Thank you for leaving your review regarding your stay with us.

I am sorry that you did not like the antique furniture in your bedroom, as it "antique" it is going to be quite old but I can assure you that it is perfectly clean. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your food experience in the bar & again at breakfast.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Stradbally, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is our second time back in Dunbrody house! We had an overnight treat in September we had an amazing time. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were completely spoilt. It was a very special occasion and when we arrived we were well impressed that we'd been upgraded to a huge room! The food in Dunbrody house is out of this world I have never had dinner like it. We went for the 8 course tasting menu and wine pairings it was amazing. The breakfast the next morning was fabulous So much of a selection I went for the pancakes and I was not disappointed they were beautiful! :) The staff were so helpful and friendly. There's nowhere like this place on earth it's just perfect! :) Thanks again to all the staff who made our stay so relaxing and memorable! :) Will definitely be back again to Dunbrody! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
dunbrody, General Manager at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Fee28,

Many thanks for the lovely review on your return trip to us here at Dunbrody Country House.

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, delighted with your kind review and looking forward to your next visit.

Paul Mernagh

Been to Dunbrody Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!