“Dunbrody Cookery School” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Arthurstown
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Dunbrody Cookery School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Dunbrody House is a favourite of ours, not only is the food always, ALWAYS so delicious, but Dunbrody provides great hospitality and a genuine warm welcome. Its obvious everybody enjoys working there, the smiles and chat are constant, nobody is rushed, creating a totally ambient atmosphere winning me over very time. Catherine Dundon remembered Dave from his time photographing a wedding there during the summer (well remembered), and took the time to stop and chat, and not forgetting Thomas who kept the chat coming and the drinks pouring in the bar, we felt part of the family and utterly relaxed!

Having checked into the Hotel on Friday night, we treated ourselves to dinner at the house which was just exceptional. Aged rack of beef for two in a port jus still has my mouth watering, (for my vegetarian friends please look away now) the beef was cooked medium rare, total juicy perfection that was simply melt in the mouth. Its times like that I LOVE being a carnivore,. The beef was perfectly complimented by a (few) bottles of WitherHills Pinot Noir.......mmmmmm....gosh, I am going to have to stop there, I am literally dribbling over my keyboard which makes typing a little difficult........

We did the Cookery School on Saturday morning class commencing at 9.30am. Our tutor for the day was the talented French Chef Mr Julien Clémot, who prepared, cooked and shared an almighty ten recipes with us that day!

Thank you to Julien and everybody at Dunbrody House Hotel for making our stay simply perfect! We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
athlone
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

VIsited dundrody for oct bank holiday weekend. 2011 . And was later joined by our son and his fiance they were reviewing for their wedding . The house is very nice lovely bar and relaxing drawing rooms . The bedroom was nice but a bit cluttered lighting very poor for reading.
The menu read very well on our first nite. The main courses came out cold . The replacement dish was still the same .
For the 3 nites we stayed the menu never changed except the special This had to be shared and was not suitable for sharing as it was beef and some like it rare others well done and this was repeated twice.
The food was cold on all 3 nites and we had great difficulty trying to choose what to eat in fact by the 3rd nite I was dreading going down to dinner in fact we would have checked out except my son was joining us.
We had no hot water to bathe on the 2nd evening. And no hot water the following morning to have a shower. What annoyed us most of all was how the owner dealt with the problems after we complained about he water. In fact he went out of his way to avoid us, there would have been no confrontation if he had addressed it like a professional and I would not be giving it a bad review .
M y son decided it was not a suitable venue for a wedding as you could not depend on the food and MR Dundon did not treat his guests as a hotel owner should have done . We take a break this time every year and. this is a first for us to complain as we have very good hotels with very good food
Will not be returning anytime soon

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
dunbrody, Owner at Dunbrody Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear GalwayAthlone,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our our hotel regarding your stay last year. I am disappointed that everything was not to your complete satisfaction as it is our aim to please. Having checked the menus from during I stay I can assure you that the Seasonal menu changed on all three nights - not everything as this menu is not designed to be completely different each night but is designed to reflect what is in season and freshly available. Our suppliers are all local so the fish options will be dictated by what comes off the boats that day, fruits and vegetables come where possible from our own gardens and again reflect what is harvested at that time of year. On the dates in question we also featured our Tasting Menu and the less formal dining options in Dundons Seafood bar which guests are always welcome to order from if they choose.
We also do our very best to offer something off the menu if we can and as I myself take the majority of orders in the restaurant on weekends I can guarantee that it is never a problem and indeed we actually state this on our menus so as guests feel encouraged to ask.
If the food was not hot enough I apologise. All meats are left to sit for a short while immediately after cooking so as to re-absorb the juices and be as tender as possible and all the plates are heated so as to retain the heat for the duration of the meal but if this was not enough we are very sorry.
Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to pass on your comments which are very welcome.
Kind Regards
Catherine Dundon
Galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The house is really lovely and staff are very friendly but do not visit for a 'food experience'. Food was very average and very expensive at €65 for 3 courses.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MP
Thank you for your review. We were sorry to see that you found our dinner not to the value you hoped for. Our €65 Seasonal Menu is designed to offer a choice of about 5 or 6 starters, main courses and usually 4 desserts/cheese all of which reflect what is in season and freshly available. For example tonight's menu features Duck Liver Parfait with Winter Fruit Compote & Warm Toasted Brioche, Lightly Curried Sweet Potato Soup, Warm Arthurstown Smoked Salmon on Confit of Leeks, Winter Salad, Scallops from Kilmore Quay for starters and for main courses the fish is yet to be confirmed but we have our Rib of Beef for Two to share, Duck Legs Confit, Game PIe, Wild Mushroom Risotto and Balsamic-Glazed Loin of Bacon all to choose from. Combined with desserts, tea/coffees with handmade petits fours, pre-dinner canapes we firmly believe that this represents excellent value for money and we are very happy to stand over all our menus as prime examples of contemporary Irish cuisine representing wonderful produce which is in season and sourced locally from Wexford, Wicklow & Waterford.
I hope you will re-visit and maybe our Spring or Summer menu might be more to you taste.
Many thanks
Catherine Dundon.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently made a one-night trip to Dunbrody as part of a Boards deal bought online before Christmas. We had heard so much about Dunbrody from my sister and her boyfriend who had spend a weekend there the previous year to celebrate getting engaged!! However, I was a little apprehensive as I'd read so many mixed and bad reviews of the place on Tripadvisor. Since my boyfriend had bought the deal, I decided to splash out on the 30e upgrade to the superior room... for 30€ isn't really all that much. When we arrived, we entered a beautiful lobby which was toasty and warm from the outside cold and greeted by a lovely friendly girl who offered to take our bags and then showed us up to our room. As we walked, she informed us of dinner times,breakfast times and the general layout of the house. Our room was extra warm and welcoming and I was impressed by the design and layout. It was beautifully decorated in duckegg wallpaper, 2 beautiful queen anne armchairs and a beautiful extra large bathroom. The lamp had been switched on as had the radio and I know it was only a small touch but it made all the difference. The view was over the garden and small herb garden, with the chicken coup visible from the bathroom window. A real country manor feel to the whole experience. If I could go back just for the room alone, I would!! The day and night only got better as we went to the bar for a pre-dinner drink. We were send home-made crisps from the kitchen and our order was taken in the bar. Once we were ready we moved to the beautiful dining room, where we were given amuse-bouche of potato and lemon soup, curtsey of the chef. Another small and simple touch but lovely all the same.
The menu was small and seasonal but 2 starters of smoked salmon (possibly the best I've ever had) and amazing chicken liver parafait set us off on the right foot. Our mains were duck leg confit and game pie both of which were amazing but if I had to pick one it would be the rich and wonderful game pie. The meat was cooked perfectly and the rich jus complimented it . For sweets I had the lemon tart while my boyfriend has the sticky toffee pudding. Both were wonderful, and I think the pastry chef deserves praise.

We stayed up past 2am chatting in front of the fire, on a fabulous comfy couch. It has all the comforts of being at home, that I almost took off my shoes to curl up on the couch. This is how relaxed the staff at Dunbrody make you feel. We were the last to go to bed, and I'm sure the 2 staff left to wait for use to go to bed, could have done with us leaving sooner but never once did they make us feel like we should move on. In fact, they checked on us numerous times through the night to see would we like more turf on the fire.
The comfy bed made it difficult to get up the next morning but the promise of a breakfast til 2 noon and a check-out at 2pm meant there was no rush. The variety of choice for breakfast was good, and the buffet again needs the mention of the amazing pastry chef. If you're passing the buffet, take a pastry... the best I've ever had.

I cannot say a bad thing about Dunbrody house,and am a little confused by the bad reviews , save to say 1 night is just not enough. I will be back again to this fabulous country house for the food, the service and the overall experience. If you are looking for modern, minimalist and a city buzz, be warned - this is not the place for you. This is a place where you leave your phone switched off, wander the gardens and take a look out the window instead of at the TV in your room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SpinsterCaz,
Thanks so much for your lovely review. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. We will be looking forward to welcoming you back - maybe in the summer next time when you can have a completely different experience lounging in the sunshine on our terrace or enjoying the amazing array of colour in the gardens...there's always turf for the fires which are more or less a year round feature so cosy couch and late night chats are always an option at Dunbrody.
Thanks again for staying and for taking the time to let us know your comments.
Best Wishes
Catherine Dundon & all the team.
Wexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the 27th of jan. First we were welcomed by a very friendly lady which brought us to our room, which was called the green room. The room was beautiful so elegant. We decided to have dinner in the seafood bar. The staff were so friendly could not do enough for us. The food was excellent, and not over priced. The only thing I can say bad is that we only booked for one night. Can not wait to go back. The best place I have ever stayed in.

Irene Fox

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear IreneF
Thanks so much for your review. I see you are only from Wexford so not too far so we'll be looking forward to welcoming you both back to Dunbrody to stay or even just for tea and a scone if you're passing our door.
Best Wishes til then,
Catherine Dundon & all at Dunbrody
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012 via mobile

I booked a post Christmas break for myself and husband and was not completely satisfied with the total experience. The open fires, warm personal welcome, fine dining and homy atmosphere all combined to make this a wonderful experience. Thoroughly recommend for that special venue romantic getaway.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Gigbrewster,
Thanks very much indeed for your kind review - delighted of course that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will return again in the not too distant future.
Best Wishes til we see you both
Catherine Dundon & all at Dunbrody
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have stayed here on many occasions and each visit has left us with a fantastic memory.The welcome and the staff have always been second to none as was the food,we have stayed in many other country houses but always came back to Dunbrody.We have spoken about Dunbrody to our friends and family and all who tried it felt the same as we do.We found the food to be of a very high standard and could not agree with some of the other reviews .We will be back as we love everything about it from the lovely rooms,welcome and the charm of the house itself.

Room Tip: Our special room is no 204 and also any of the suites,our tip would be turn off heat in the bedroom...