“Great place to stay and eat.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Convent

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clogheen
The Old Convent
You added The Old Convent to your Saves list
Mount Anglesby, Clogheen, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clogheen
Cork, Ireland
“Great place to stay and eat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

Great place to stay. Delicious food. Lovely staff. Extremely comfortable room. Would recommend it to anyone!!! A great facility is the kitchen on the same floor as the bedrooms where you can help yourself to drinks, snacks, books, games etc.

• Liked — the bedroom and the food.
  • Disliked — Nothing to camplain about
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Wicklow Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

We arrived to this little gem on Saturday afternoon, and were greeted with warm and very friendly staff, who offered us tea/coffee in the beautiful drawing room....with a log fire glowing.
Our bedroom was so romatic and it was wonderful not to have a TV, to distract my sportsfanatic husband''''' The place is a ideal spot to chill out and relax within an area of spectacular scenery.The food was out of this world and served by a very charming staff..we stayed 2 nights and hope to return again soon. Highly recommend as a pecfect getaway from this busy everyday world..

• Liked — The ambience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

I have just returned from spending a truly amazing and memorable night in The Old Convent, in Clogheen. My boyfriend booked a night there as my Christmas present and I can safely say that it was the best gift that he has ever given me.

Last weekend, the country was rocked by some of the violent storms this year. There were high winds and rain almost nationwide. As a result, a number of towns experienced power outages. Unfortunately, the area immediately around The Old Convent was one of these places. As a native, I recognize that this is an extremely rare occurence and unlikely to happen again in the future.

However, our hosts, Dermot and Christine, were left with a dilemma. They had to feed and house all their guests without the aid of electricity!

To say that they rose to the challenge admirably is an absolute understatement. They positively turned the situation around and adapted so well to the conditions that I was left almost wondering why we ever bother with electricity in the first place. Candle-light, a roaring fire, and excellent company are all you need. The atmosphere in The Old Convent last Saturday night is something I will always remember.

Dermot, cooking by candlelight, using gas appliances, provided THE MOST AMAZING meal I have ever had the pleasure of eating. As a vetern of places that appeal to a similar market, such as Marlfield House in Wicklow and The Wineport in Athlone, I have to say that the 8 course extravaganza far surpassed anything I have had in these places. I cannot praise it highly enough. I remember thinking - if this is what he can do without power, what must the meal be like if he has power!

Christine, our host, was one of the most warm and welcoming people I have ever met. She was absolutely wonderful: Resourceful, honest, and totally calm under pressure. She was also exceptionally generous when it came to settling our bill, under the circumstances. A truly lovely woman.

It goes without saying that I will return. And soon. This place is a little gem. Just don't tell too many people!

• Liked — Everything from start to finish
  • Disliked — I can't think of one single thing. It was all amazing.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

I have just made "The Old Convent Gourmet Hideaway" my number one favourite weekend away retreat!
This may seem somewhat exaggerated but I cannot fault (nor do I want to) anything about The Old Convent. At last, after many stays in good Country Houses (I am not a fan of Hotels) I have now found a superb Country House.
Open almost a year; Christine and Dermot Gannon seem to have special powers when it comes to hospitality! Everything is fantastic; our bedroom was gorgeous..with seperate living room, beautiful bed and a big bath in our bedroom!
The Tasting Menu is beyond words...8 courses of seasonal and local produce reflects everything that is great about Irish food...the highest quality, flavoursome...combined with chefs that understand food-the perfect recipe!
Christine deserves a special mention, you can see just how much she adores opening up her House and welcoming you in...she was also a dab hand at helping my boyfriend provide a host of little suprises along the way!
I simply cannot wait to return...and I don't think I've ever said that before! Will add photos once I actually download them!

• Liked — Tasteful decor, no tv and amazing food.
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring you trainers and get in a good walk before dinner-beautiful surroundings.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Convent? Share your experiences!