“The Worst Hotel In Kapit At An Unbelievable Price” 1 of 5 stars

Meligai Hotel
Lot 334, Jalan Airport | P.O. Box 139, Kapit 96807, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kapit
Sarawak
“The Worst Hotel In Kapit At An Unbelievable Price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Unless the owner does a serious overhaul of this place (and its management), this hotel will continue to be THE WORST HOTEL IN KAPIT. At their prices, you would expect something better but this place underperforms & does even worse than cheaper hotels nearby which charge roughly half of what this hotel charges (Deluxe Single at RM80/night - corporate rate).
The hotel is conveniently located in the town centre & is not hard to find. Just ask where the local Maybank is. The hotel is the adjacent building in dull white & grey colour. Reception is easy to find. Ring the bell for service. Check-in was seamless & the receptionist was friendly & helpful. Lots of coffeshops for food & small stores for supplies nearby. Most close before 6pm though so get your supplies & dinner early.
If you want to use the hotel's free Wifi, it is only available on the 3rd floor where the suites are. I suspect that it was only installed for the suites. No internet on 1st & 2nd floors. Cheaper hotels nearby have free Wifi on all floors. It just makes me wonder why they cant do the same here.
The receptionist gave me the wrong pin for the Wifi. I called the operator to enquire & they told me to try again later. Why would I want to try the WRONG pin again later? Realising that they were totally clueless & helpless, I hung up & tried entering random sets of 10 digits. I found the pin on my second attempt.
However, my woes with the Wifi were not over yet. The Wifi was fast in the morning when I checked in & when I woke up but when I got back in the evenings, it was totally unusable! I couldn't even connect to Google! I suspect that this was due to heavy traffic. Amazing how 1 semi-occupied floor can congest an internet connection. Must be a really cheap internet package for such a big hotel. I tried to use the internet all night to no avail. It might work in the late nights or early mornings but I wouldn't know because I was sleeping by then. It's both baffling & frustrating because I had seamless surfing at countless other hotels in Kapit.
The lift was out of service for the whole duration of my 3-day stay. Looking at how the management runs the hotel, it might stay out of service for a long time. Be prepared to walk to your room like in one of the budget hotels nearby. I would have been willing to walk the stairs to the 3rd floor if there was good Internet. Without it, I am reminded with every step that I paid too much for too little.
The rooms were spacious & clean. No cigarette smell which was good. The beds were comfortable & clean. No bedbugs. Sleep was good. AC was good. TV was small. It only had 3 local channels & the reception was bad. No satellite channels. Plumbing was good. I love the shower head. It's the kind that does not let too much pressure through but just enough to give you a gentle massage on the head.
I will not be returning to this hotel because there are plenty of other hotels nearby which offer better services at a lower price. Besides, there are plenty of new ones I have never tried before. They are not on TA or any other website though so you will probably need a local contact to get you their contact details. Seriously, the only hotel worth considering on TA for Kapit is Greenland Inn (Single - RM120/night).

Room Tip: If you want free Wifi, ask for the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

thank goodness we had a look at a room before we agreed to stay.

it was much more expensive than any of the other rooms we looked at in kapit 120rm per night for a twin room. the hotel's interiors looked tired and worn. the paint was peeling from the walls. the room looked dirty. had a look in the bathroom, moved the shower curtain and a cockroach crawled over my flip flop shod foot. needless to say, we ran out of there sharpish and didn't look back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton, CANADA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

Locals in Kapit, pretty well the last frontier town up the Batang Rajang river in Sarawak, say that the Meligai is the best hotel in town. I guess that means two stars beats one star. The Meligai is 90 RM, and pretty rundown. Good aircon in room and sheets were clean, but carpets pocked by cigarette burns, and toilet seat held together by duct tape. The front desk girl was dying to be helpful, but couldn't figure out why there were no towels in my room.
There are a couple other guesthouses(New Rajang Inn)a few blocks further away from the wharf, but I wanted to be near the river boat terminal. The Meligai is directly in front, up the hill a couple of blocks. I might have done better if I'd viewed a few rooms, but the sight of air con sold me on the first one before I had a better look.
Kapit, on the other hand, is a lively market town with plenty of restaurants, internet cafes, and karaoke pubs--a frontier town for upriver tribal folk, loggers and hinterland traders to stock up on supplies.

Been to Meligai Hotel? Share your experiences!