“Charming, unique hotel ideal for your wedding!” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Station House Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main St, Kilmessan, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmessan
Straffan, Ireland
“Charming, unique hotel ideal for your wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We got married here last Friday and it went flawlessly, thanks to the staff of the Station House. The food was perfect, the staff were organised and courteous and our guests said it was one of the best weddings they had been to (although who knows if they are being biased!) It was great value although I think it really is a pity that it is only assigned 3 stars as it certainly deserves more.

Now go get married there!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

My wife and I came down from Dublin for a mid week escape as with all thats been happening we needed to get away from the gloom. When we arrived after our 35 min drive for that i'll thank the new M3 which made it an easy journey we were greeted and made welcome even with the place bustling. We checked into the quaint honeymooners room and made our way for our delicious dinner and afterwards settled into a night of live music and a cozy open fire. All in all a perfect mid week getaway and for recession busting prices.

• Stayed December 2010
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Attended this hotel for potential wedding venue as i was advised , but it was a terrible let down.
Bar food was a joke and bad service,Manager very unprofessional along with staff on duty.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
DeniseSlattery, Manager at The Station House Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2010
To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to reply to your comments posted on November 28th 2010.

I am shocked to learn of the level of service you were provided with in our hotel. As it is our constant aim to provide patrons with a product of the highest quality, it is indeed essential that we are fully aware of any aspect, which discredits us from the goals we have set ourselves. May I therefore thank you, at the outset, for bringing this matter to our attention.

The Station House Hotel has always been renowned for it's excellent service and fantastic food. As I am sure you are aware we have received many awards, accolades and credits from food critics, our most recent allocades being:
Weddingsonline.ie Wedding Venue of the Year 2009 (Leinster)
Georgina Campbell Best 10 Places in Ireland for Sunday Lunch
2010 Irish Restaurant Awards Best Chef in Meath Award sponsored by Louis Latour

We sincerely regret that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us and hope that our commitment to excellence as outlined above will encourage you to re-visit The Station House Hotel at a future date.

Kind Regards,

Denise Slattery
Manager

Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I booked a Saturday night stay with my girlfriend that was inclusive of dinner, the station house suite 120 and breakfast.

This was a birthday surprise for my girlfriend. When we arrived at reception it was unmanned and after a few minutes of waiting I asked the Barman who responded quickly and then the receptionist appeared.

All staff were very friendly.

Suite 120 is very quaint and charming, lovely decor and four poster bed but a maintenance man is badly needed at this Fawlty Towers hotel. Two door handles in the suite came off the doors in our hands ( the bedroom door and sitting room door ) !

The dimmer switches on the right inside the door don't seem to work at all.

The timber blind on the 1st window on the right was broken.

The televisions in all rooms have only rte1 and rte2 ( this is not a joke form the early 80's, ) it is 2010 in the age when most hotels have 10+ channels and the better ones have IP on demand TV this hotel has almost unwatchable reception, I kid you not !

WiFi in the rooms would be as alien as ET in this place so don@t bother bringing the laptop !

The receptionist said " why would we want to watch TV while we were on a night away ! "

The bathroom upstairs in the suite has a chikuzee ( can't spell that word ! ) bath and showerhead, problem is the showerhead drips and no amount of tightening the control, wrapping towels or shower curtains around it will stop it dripping on to your head or back or just driving you mad with the sound when using the bathroom.

At dinner food was nice but there was to be a candle in the desert of my girlfriend, according to the receptionist The Chef must have forgot !
Desert list is not great, we didn't leave a tip !

After checking out we went to the garden and sat on the wooden swing seat, the armrest was hanging off with nails exposed.

This hotel is actually nice and quaint but it's the little things that make the difference. It is in the country but country standards seem to apply, the lack of attention to detail would not be tolerated in a city hotel.

Receptionist said it had been quiet lately but hotel was full that night and hoped things were turning around. If I was her I wouldn't hold my breath, we enjoyed our stay but couldn't recommend the place as it's kind of falling apart and judging by a previous review of the hotel on this site complaining of leaking taps etc. management have not done anything to remedy the shortcomings. Pity as it could be a really great place to stay if it was better managed and maintained and they invested in a Sky TV dish and brodband !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
To Whom It May Concern,

We are disappointed to hear that you found so many flaws in our beautiful hotel. We have taken on board all of your points and would be delighted if you would consider paying us another visit to review the hotel again.
We are an award winning hotel with accolades such as the Weddingsonline.ie Wedding Venue of the Year 2009 (leinster), Georgina Campbell Best 10 places in Ireland for Sunday Lunch and one of the Best Places to stay & dine for xmas by food critic Paulo Tullio to name but a few.
We hope that you will consider us again for a future visit and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Warmest Regards,

Denise Slattery
Manager
Ashbourne, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

It was roughly 10yrs ago when myself and my partner (now husband) were invited to our friends wedding at the Station House Hotel. We both fell in love with the venue, it is so unique and has that old charm which we loved, and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous also. Needless to say we booked our wedding here. Our wedding day was only 2 days ago and the day was brilliant, the staff really supplied that extra personal touch. In fact the staff were very helpful all the way up to the wedding day, more than willing to help in every way. I cannot recommend the Station house enough and its no surprise the hotel and restaurant have won such prestigous awards. A huge thank you to Sarah and Henry for helping to make our wedding day so memorable.

• Stayed August 2010
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Firstly - Warm white wine during meal. Advised Mr. Slattery the owner during his walk round and he advised that they should have placed water in the ice bucket and he then walked off. I had complained initially to the staff and the best they could do was place it in the freezer while we ate our starters.

Secondly - we had to ring reception at 10.30PM as classical music was blasting out into the garden area, which our room overlooked. Nice idea but at 10.30 when it was raining heavily and there had been nobody outside in the previous number of hours! We were told when we complained that they were testing the speakers!

Finally - when we had breakfast we noticed that the toast had green mould on it..
Just after we had noticed that, my omelette arrived which was the most unappetising food I had ever seen, by this stage I was so appalled by my stay that I immediately walked out. My wife made a verbal complaint (I believe Denise Slattery, manager on duty and daughter of owner) was at reception at that stage and they blamed the bread supplier for the mouldy bread. I love to see a service provider talking full responsibilty for their deplorable service.

We got married here in May 2006 and had a wonderful time, how standards have dropped. I would assume that the same terrible product is also available at the sister hotel (Waterside - Donabate).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
WatersideHouse, Front Office Manager at The Station House Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
I write with reference to your comments regarding your visit to The Station House Hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in responding to you, our sales and marketing manager has been out sick for the past month.

As a result, I have spoken with the management team and staff within the relevant department in a determined bid to prevent a re-occurrence. The shortcomings you described were truly inexcusable. Thus far, in the last twenty seven years we have worked very hard to achieve the high level of recognition and praise with which The Station House Hotel has been acclaimed, namely our Best Chef in Meath Award and the Wedding Venue of the Year (Leinster) 2009. It is with such honest feedback that we can genuinely strive to maintain this position.

We sincerely regret that you did not fully enjoy your meal with us and hope that our commitment to excellence as outlined above will encourage you to re-visit The Station House Hotel at a future date.

Kind regards,

Sarah Kelly
046 90 25239
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

My stay at the Station House was just amazing. From reservation stage to checking out. I could not fault anything and the food was just devine.
Nothing was a problem and I have rebooked for the next two months as I am on business in Ireland a little gem in the country.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Station House Hotel? Share your experiences!