“Station House - rooms in adjoining houses” 3 of 5 stars

The Station House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main St, Kilmessan, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilmessan
Dublin
“Station House - rooms in adjoining houses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed in the rooms available when the hotel is fully booked. A bit grotty to say the least. There was no blind, curtain or otherwise on my room when I arrived. Similarly to 'Belfastrab' review, they asked me to pay upfront. As it happened I wasn't duped into this approach, although I was somewhat captive anyway as I was there with a group so finding alternative accommodation at short notice wasn't an option. The toilet roll holder was swinging loose on the wall while the toilet itself was stained with something blue and grey. Perhaps there's a water problem in this area, I'm not sure. Hot water for a shower was in short supply too.
It was only when I went to get into bed that I realised it was not made. The sheets were neatly laid out and folded in two on the bed underneath a blanket and throw/quilt. That is, they were laid on the bed but not tucked in as you would expect.
Would I stay again? Probably not.
On a positive note, the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Maybe check out guest houses in the area rather than stay in these rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
dublin ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My sisters and myself stayed at the station house hotel yesterday 7th Oct 2012 for my mams 75th birthday.I dont often write reviews but felt compelled to write about this hotel. The owners Chris and Thelma Slattery could not have done enough for us to make our stay a very special one.
From the moment we arrived there we felt pampered. The staff were absolutley amazing Henry and Derek could not do enough for us as were the bar and restaurant staff. Food was amazing and the hotel even organised a cake for my mam. Will most certainly return again in the near future.

Many thanks. Rachel Mulryan and my sisters and mam

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

arrived and was quickly checked in by a lovely receptionist, shown to our room by a lovely and friendly manager and although the rooms are small and quite expensive we didnt mind as we wanted to just enjoy the joyous occasion

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My partner and I had booked for a 2 night stay at this property and in all fairness we received a good deal through a third party website so only paying £105 (British Sterling) for 2 nights.

We are from Northern Ireland and thought this would be a good spot not too far away from the motorway for a relaxing few days away. We checked the hotel's website out and it looked great and we also checked on Trip Advisor and all seemed fine.....

We arrived bang on 2pm for check-in which was done quickly and with the minimum of fuss by a very pleasent receptionist, however I was a little annoyed at being asked to pay for the accomodation up front rather than place a card on file which they already had anyyways, so none the less paid for the room before seeing the room which I guess was my second mistake, the first being duped by their nice website and also by the good reviews that were on Trip Advisor.

Got into our room to be immediately presented with a small staircase of 3 steps leading down into our room which apart from a few high end suites I have stayed in, in the past this was a first for us having stairs in our room.

The decor of the room was extremley dated to say the least and reminded me of what my grandmother's nursing home room looked like back in the early 1990s, just bad art in dated frames, plush enough carpet but badly aged and stained, bedding/sheets badly stained and dated, very uncomfortable bed for me at least as I out of the two of us was the only one brave enough to lie down on it. In fairness the room was in essence clean enough if you looked past the stains and age, however the thought of staying in this room for two nights made us both down hearted as we were looking forward to a relaxing break and this room felt more like a punishment for some crime than a treat.

In fairness the management did show us another room but it was exactly the same if not worse than the original room but at least the second room had no staircase in it, which by the way had 3 normal sized steps and one very small longer step which was about 2 inches high just tall enough to catch you foot and send you flying. We eventually agreed with the management that we would not be staying but to try and get some of my money refunded I said for them to keep the cost of one night and refund the second night, which after talks with the owner they did. In all fairness they gave us dinner for free before we left to try and make up for the situation.

Guys to be honest with you this hotel isn't cutting it and I have no idea why people have given it such a high rating either they are mad, or must have stayed in some very poor quality accomodation in the past. Its up to you but don't be taken in by cheap offers for this property on the likes of Groupon we found at least 5 other higher quality hotels in the area for cheaper on various hotel booking websites.

I have to say that the staff were very good but I have the sense they know they are fighting a battle they cannot win, This hotel has the hallmarks of being truely excellent with some investment in the guest rooms and facilities. I left the hotel feeling sorry for the staff because they were quite clearly hard working and did seem to care about the hotel where as the owner clearly does not or simply does not have the funds to invest in the property.

I have been fair and honest in this review I had given the bad and the good and just know being ex travel industry what people from Northern Ireland and the mainland UK would expect from a hotel and it simply wasn't to be found here. We are a engaged couple in our early 30s so might suit a older less wordly wise crowd, but anyone used to city breaks or city centre hotels will be left with a bad taste in their mouth.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before paying and also be sure to get a room that is not above a function room b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
None of anyones business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

When booking the hotel was full so I stayed in the hotel apartments. They are off the grounds, a 4 minute leisurely walk. There is a complimentary bus service that will take you back snd forth. Lovely breakfast and dinner. Rooms in the apartments were spacious but average and the bathroom had no bath and wasn't the cleanist!

• Stayed April 2012
Tallaght, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We're literally just recovered from the jet lag but I just wanted to thank you and all the staff who made our day so special and enjoyable. I can honestly say it was the best day of my life and every detail of what I ever wanted was provided by you all even bits I forgot or didn't realise would mean as much to me.
All the guests are still talking about the food, service and the setting and its all thanks to the staff. My only concern the whole day was there would be an awful dip after dinner as i have experienced at other weddings, but the whole running of the evening and staff were excellent in the overturn for the night time fun. Even our evening guests were raging they had chosen not to stay they were having so much fun!!
I really cant describe how you all made us feel and Im so glad we didn't look at other venues and stuck with our (my!!) initial instinct.

Really all I can say is that you are by far the most considerate, approachable friendly team I have had the pleasure of working with and thanks also for putting up with my very stressed out bridezilla head (I honestly though I was coping really well) but Im so glad you were all so supportive especially with the whole maposa layout which still wont work for me lol especially Sarah with my frantic phone calls at all times of the day!!

Im sure you get this all the time but really all I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping us to create a day we will never forget and also one which all my guests enjoyed and are still talking about but more importantly for making everything easy and manageable and a fun process.

Room Tip: avoid the groom trying to carry you over the thresh-hold of the carriage suite it does not work like...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just back from a really terrific stay in The Station House Hotel. The staff were so kind and interested in us from the moment we checked in. Our room was big, beautiful and had lots of character. The bathroom was nicely tiled and the shower was great. The bar is welcoming and serves food all day but we choose to eat in The award winning Signal Restaurant where we had the early bird 2 course menu for €19.95. The food was Sensational and included An 'Amuse Bouche' which is a pre starter served with the compliments of the chef- it was a beef and carrot broth served in an expresso cup - WOW!!! we loved it. This hotel is, in fact, full of old world charm with beautiful gardens in a lovely little village and we highly recommend it as a first class escape hotel. Many Thanks to all the staff from Terrie and Jean

Room Tip: ask for a twin room - we got a room with a double and single bed and it meant the room was bigger
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Station House Hotel? Share your experiences!