“Worst of all - no Internet” 2 of 5 stars

Johnstown House Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Enfield-Johnstown Bridge Road, Enfield, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
encinitas ca
“Worst of all - no Internet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Worn public areas missing furniture and dirty upholstery in the rooms combined with very hard to find Internet service add to the overall "fallen into ruin" feel of this resort it is evident it once was well appointed and grand however now lack of light bulbs in the bath; detached bath tub casements; lime build up
In the tea service; maid service completely missing the room for 8 hours ; peeling paint ; doors propped open for ventilation; need I continue? Once was grand but not now. And NO Internet in the room !

• Stayed September 2013
odhran l, General Manager at Johnstown House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear 1959mgaEncinitas,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. Your comments are very important to us and we appreciate all your feedback.

Since last year we have undertaken a refurbishment with new carpets in the reception and the lobby areas. The bar and restaurant have also received a total refit. It is our intention to upgrade other areas of the hotel over the next number of months and a soft refurbishment of the couches in the lobby is underway at present. Equally, it is our intention to offer wifi in all bedrooms. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Johnstown House Hotel in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Odhran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

we stayed here as a family and we all enjoyed are stay we were visiting Enfield as that is where my husbands family are from. The hotel rooms we had were lovely and the hotels swimming pool was lovely and clean. If you are coming from England you need to make sure you have a swim hat but they do sell them and there was a couple you could borrow. The bar itself we only went in once as was very expensive and there is a couple of lovely bars near by Flatterys and the hamlet that are very friendly and a lot cheaper. We had two meals in the restaurant at the hotel which was part of the package of the hotel stay which you could not fault and would definitely recommend they were lovely and the staff were very friendly in there. We also had breakfast every morning which was nice and the main lady that was there was lovely. I have seen a couple of reviews that say the wallpaper in the hallways could do with updating which is true but not enough to ruin your stay. The location you do need a car for to get around but is only about 40 mins from Dublin

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nicola G,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. I found your review to be fair and balanced. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your gratitude to the team at the hotel.

Borrego Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This may once have been a nice spa but now shows signs of neglect and deferred maintenance wherever you look. The rooms smell musty (we had to move from the first one). The door into the reception area is propped open by an old chair to keep it from banging closed. Our bathroom door will not open/close without scraping the tile. We stayed 3 nights (as a base to Newgrange and Dublin) and the second day found we had no housekeeping while out for 7 hours. We reported to the front desk before going to dinner and returned to... you guessed it... no room service. We've been in Ireland for 3 weeks now and try to stay in nice accommodations, but i struck out on this one.

Room Tip: stay at a B&B
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Thunefeld,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent experience. It was with deep regret that I read your comments as this is not the standard we are striving to achieve. On behalf of the management and staff at the hotel I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. As I have mentioned a number of areas have been recently refurbished and a plan is in place over the next number of years to refurbish other areas. The front doors of the hotel are glass sliding doors so it is impossible to hold them open with a chair. Perhaps you are referring to an internal door. It may be that someone was entering or exiting with luggage and propped the door open. It is our policy to clean the checked out rooms first and to do refresh the stay over rooms later. This would explain the delay in your room been refreshed. Once again thank you for your review and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had to visit Enfield and when my wife saw a voucher deal for Johnstown House Hotel we purchased the deal for one night B&B plus dinner from the bar menu. It was very good deal and we had a very enjoyable time there.
The house is impressive and our room was clean and comfortable: there was no sense of it being a ‘voucher room’ which we had experienced in another hotel. Check-in was friendly and professional. We had lunch in a small courtyard outside the bar: the MTV music in the bar was very loud but as it was sunny we preferred to dine outside anyway.
We spent some time in the leisure centre and enjoyed it so much we returned the following morning. There in one outdoor Jacuzzi and it was heavenly to lie in it while the sun shone down.
We also enjoyed the dinner in the bar. At breakfast we had to wait outside the dining area while the buffet breakfast closed and the served breakfasts began. I prefer a cooked-to-order breakfast so I didn’t mind waiting while the food was transferred from the buffet to the kitchen. Unfortunately I suspect some or all of it re-appeared, re-heated, later as cooked-to-order. My slice of bacon crumbled on my plate, it was so overdone.
That and the loud music were the only negatives and they were greatly outweighed by the many positives: professional & friendly staff, wonderful surroundings, and the clean and comfortable environment.
I would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. Our outdoor Jacuzzi is a beautiful facility and we are delighted you got to enjoy it on a hot sunny day. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and rest assured I will pass on your comments to the team. I also notice the areas you have highlighted for improvement.

Odhran
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Went on a groupon voucher yesterday for a facial, massage and hydrotherapy pool session. Staff were so friendly and I was checked in quickly and shown where I could change and my locker etc. Bernadette was my spa therapist. She did such an excellent job on my treatments. I was so pleased and relaxed. She is a very professional and experienced therapist. So happy with the experience. Fab spa. Lovely facilities. Will be back!! :))))

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Shellywoodles,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our Spa. I can guarantee you that you have made Bernadette’s day by mentioning her on Trip Advisor and she is really grateful for your comment.
Once again, thank you and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had booked this hotel months ago for Our anniversary getaway on Sunday just gone. After a surprise Engagement on Saturday we were looking forward to our first trip away as soon to be married!

Needless to say my happiness ended as abrupt as the receptionist was! He was sour faced and could not look less like he wanted to be there! My partner informed him that we were just engaged and looking for a nice relaxing trip... this was met with a blank stare and a couldn't care less attitude!! We upgraded our room at extra cost to treat ourselves! We should not have bothered! The room was large and that was the only good thing about it! it was left very dirty by the cleaners and there was a bad smell in it! the grout in the bathroom was black and mold in the shower! the couch was old and broken and smelled like the cover where never cleaned.

All the wooden doors in this hotel were broken and scratched and look very bad! also all the wallpaper in the hallways is ripped and it looks awful! Its almost as if the cleaning trollies had ripped the walls and broken the doors as it is the same and the same level in every corridor.

We dropped our bags in and went for a bite to eat in the bar. The bar was nice and clean enough but again the staff were very sullen looking and it all felt very miserable. The food was basic deep fried supermarket party packs! and I was fairly annoyed when the bill came and we realized the small half filled glass of house rose I had was E7.25.

We decided to cancel our dinner in the restaurant that evening as I just could not face the rudeness and we wanted to hand on to our bit of engagement happiness!! We ordered food to the room which was a burger and chips and was very nice, and contemplated going home, the only thing stopping us was how tired we were to do the drive!

The only saving grace of this hotel in the receptionist we had checked ( sorry I didn't take her name) out with and the girl serving breakfast!

I would not stay here if you want to stay happy!!

Room Tip: Avoid upgrade as it is worse then normal rooms!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wicklow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I attended a conference here recently. The restaurant service for the vegetarians in our party was appalling, particularly as the requirement was flagged well in advance. The vegetarian food was very poor - a small quiche on the first day and dreadful penne pasta in a light coating of congealed tomato sauce on the second. Unforgivable however was the delay - particularly on the second day. Waiting staff were asked four times, however my meal only arrived as EVERYONE else at the table was finishing theirs. I had the pleasure then, of eating my toddler-food as my colleagues watched on.

Otherwise the hotel was adequate, if a little tired. The lunch scenario is unacceptable though given the size of the contract and the notice given.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear B-in-Bray,

I would be grateful if you could email me directly at the hotel so that I can look into your comments in greater detail. Once again than you for your feedback.

Regards,

Odhran Lawlor

Been to Johnstown House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!