“Wonderful spa!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Enfield
Galway
“Wonderful spa!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Went on a groupon voucher yesterday for a facial, massage and hydrotherapy pool session. Staff were so friendly and I was checked in quickly and shown where I could change and my locker etc. Bernadette was my spa therapist. She did such an excellent job on my treatments. I was so pleased and relaxed. She is a very professional and experienced therapist. So happy with the experience. Fab spa. Lovely facilities. Will be back!! :))))

• Stayed September 2013
odhran l, General Manager at Johnstown House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Shellywoodles,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our Spa. I can guarantee you that you have made Bernadette’s day by mentioning her on Trip Advisor and she is really grateful for your comment.
Once again, thank you and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

591 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had booked this hotel months ago for Our anniversary getaway on Sunday just gone. After a surprise Engagement on Saturday we were looking forward to our first trip away as soon to be married!

Needless to say my happiness ended as abrupt as the receptionist was! He was sour faced and could not look less like he wanted to be there! My partner informed him that we were just engaged and looking for a nice relaxing trip... this was met with a blank stare and a couldn't care less attitude!! We upgraded our room at extra cost to treat ourselves! We should not have bothered! The room was large and that was the only good thing about it! it was left very dirty by the cleaners and there was a bad smell in it! the grout in the bathroom was black and mold in the shower! the couch was old and broken and smelled like the cover where never cleaned.

All the wooden doors in this hotel were broken and scratched and look very bad! also all the wallpaper in the hallways is ripped and it looks awful! Its almost as if the cleaning trollies had ripped the walls and broken the doors as it is the same and the same level in every corridor.

We dropped our bags in and went for a bite to eat in the bar. The bar was nice and clean enough but again the staff were very sullen looking and it all felt very miserable. The food was basic deep fried supermarket party packs! and I was fairly annoyed when the bill came and we realized the small half filled glass of house rose I had was E7.25.

We decided to cancel our dinner in the restaurant that evening as I just could not face the rudeness and we wanted to hand on to our bit of engagement happiness!! We ordered food to the room which was a burger and chips and was very nice, and contemplated going home, the only thing stopping us was how tired we were to do the drive!

The only saving grace of this hotel in the receptionist we had checked ( sorry I didn't take her name) out with and the girl serving breakfast!

I would not stay here if you want to stay happy!!

Room Tip: Avoid upgrade as it is worse then normal rooms!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wicklow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I attended a conference here recently. The restaurant service for the vegetarians in our party was appalling, particularly as the requirement was flagged well in advance. The vegetarian food was very poor - a small quiche on the first day and dreadful penne pasta in a light coating of congealed tomato sauce on the second. Unforgivable however was the delay - particularly on the second day. Waiting staff were asked four times, however my meal only arrived as EVERYONE else at the table was finishing theirs. I had the pleasure then, of eating my toddler-food as my colleagues watched on.

Otherwise the hotel was adequate, if a little tired. The lunch scenario is unacceptable though given the size of the contract and the notice given.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear B-in-Bray,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. Your comments are very important to us and we appreciate all your feedback.

I would be grateful if you could email me directly at the hotel so that I can look into your comments in greater detail. Once again than you for your feedback.

Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My review is based solely on the customer service, or lack there of, received when trying to book a room. I did not actually stay at the hotel. I emailed the hotel to enquire about a triple room as I did not see an option for same on the hotel website. I received no reply. I also tried to call the hotel and again received no reply. I sent a second email and 4 days later I still have not received a reply. The reason I wanted to book this hotel was because both a brother of mine and a good friend live in Enfield and highly recommended it. Thankfully we have booked another hotel, unfortunately not in Enfield.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Letterkenny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I emailed the hotel to book a room for myself and two friends.I got a call from the reservations manager Louise,enquiring if we had any special request and offering to book our Spa appointments for us and informed me of all the facilities available.
We all arrived at the hotel at different times and were delighted with the welcome we got from the staff at reception.We spent the afternoon in the Spa which could only be described as fabulous ,the staff were friendly and were very understanding when one of the girls under DR,s advice could not have any treatments and allowed her to spend the afternoon relaxing with us in the Spa.
We had a lovely dinner in the bar and a couple of drinks,where we found both the Bar man and the waitress to be good cracic and very friendly.
We had breakfast in the restaurant ,and were well looked after by A very nice girl called Gillian.
Overall we had a great 24hr break and myself and my friends are all ready trying to sort out a date to return again next month and we have already recommend the hotel and Spa to family and friends.Collette.

Room Tip: We shared a 3 bed family room which was lovely and quiet but be prepared for a long walk down two co...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
odhran l, General Manager at Johnstown House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Col10Letterkenny,

Thank you for taking the time to review Johnstown House Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and had such a relaxing time. I am also delighted that you have taken the time to mention both Gillian and Louise. For any staff member to be complimented is such a boost to them and their confidence. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future to Johnstown House Hotel.

Odhran
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Johnstown House Hotel is a fantastic hotel! its set in a lovely place in the village of Enfield, there is a fantastic bar just down the road called "Flatterys" if you fancy a change? the hotel has everything ud ever want in a hotel its self contained and its been done to a high standard! the food was great the staff where also great and i think the only thing i can pick up on is that if you are staying in the hotel more then a couple of days as its so isolated you need a car to get about! as you can only do so much in the hotel before you get bored so as enfield has such a lovely vibe about it have a drive into it and try to see the small railway station its tiny lol but all in all a fantastic hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. W,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and rest assured I will pass on your comments to the team. While the hotel is siuated in the countryside it is only a 20 minute walk from Enfield where there is a bus and train service to the west and to Dublin.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Johnstown House Hotel in the near future.

Odhran
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Just back from a "Spa Break" which was a treat for my daughters and myself ...Spa was wonderful experience .....staff excellent ....only disappointment was the unbelievably bad welcome we received at Hotel.....we had the audacity to arrive on time for our pre-booked treatments, but were too early to check in ....and were rebuked and told the hotel had been very busy and that the rooms were not ready ....we had to "trundle" upstairs to Spa with all our luggage ....thankfully the Spa staff were most civil and welcomed us .....beware if attending for a Spa weekend ....don't book treatment a minute before "check in" time ......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carmel H,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. While I am delighted you enjoyed the spa and I am disappointed at the lack of service you received in the hotel. I am not sure form your review as to what time you checked in at. However check in for the hotel is from 3.00pm. Reading between the lines it would seem that the front desk was not very friendly to you and unhelpful. If this is the case I would like to apologise most sincerely.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Odhran Lawlor

Been to Johnstown House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!