“You get what you pay for!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Seri Malaysia to your Saves list
Seri Malaysia
Taman Tasik Putra, Kulim 09000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Kulim B&B and Inns
“You get what you pay for!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I thought we were just being unlucky, but the first two reviews confirm how much room for improvement there is for Seri Malaysia. I don't think we would stay here ever again, however we haven't got a choice because grandma's house is full and this is the only hotel in the area. We've moved rooms twice (we asked to move to a family room because of our baby, and there were problems with the first one - sink leaking, air con not working properly - so we asked for another room), and the problems below appeared on all 3 of them. I guess it all comes down to management. First impressions were good. Entrance of hotel is grand-ish, etc. Staff pleasant and well presented. Room nice, even though quite dated, but clean at first sight. Then hairs began to appear everywhere: on the beds (sheets, blankets), on the floor, on the bathroom floor... As mentioned before, windows are filthy, headboards, bathroom and shower cubicle doors... They seldom vaccuum the floor, I had to ask them this morning to do it. But underneath the beds it's just disgusting. Fingernails, cocktail sticks, crumbles, dust and so on. Also the blankets have got hair and other dirt tangled on them. I wiped the bathroom fittings (toilet seat, flush, taps) with antibacterial wipes, just to be sure. Went to the restaurant for breakfast the other day and the tables had not been wiped from the day before! I had to ask someone to do it. Service could be better: Had to move rooms and they kindly moved all my stuff while I was away (at my request), even the fridge contents, which I had forgotten to pack! But when I got back and into my new room, the fridge contents (milk, fruits and baby food) had been left out of the fridge for the whole day!!! Come on... Either someone doesn't care, or they're just not bright enough for this job! Service looks nice and helpful at first sight, they all smile and try to be helpful, but I've noticed that you need to follow through, come back and ask again, explain in clear English, but really be on to them, if you need something sorted out, or it doesn't get done. Depends on who's on duty, I guess. Swimming pool: nice and seemed clean. Unattended. No lounging chairs or tables with those sunshade umbrellas around it, lack of shaded areas. A couple of tables and chairs under the coconut trees, but you have to get your wet feet dirty with soil if you want to use those. Also at the childrens pool bottom, the drain was open, with a broken lid, so potential health hazard. Not bothered to complain, as I have a feeling that that's not priority for them. Food: specific for Malaysians. Do not expect "continental breakfast" on the buffet. Apart from the hot food they usually eat for breakfast (rice, eggs, soups, noodles, meats), there's toast and coffee, and one or two choices of fruit, maximum. They really don't seem too bothered to widen their clientelle. Oh, speaking of widening the clientelle, they don't have cots for babies! Yes, if you have a baby you're on your own. We've moved into a family room, for the extra bed and had to put the chairs around the bed to stop baby from falling off it (which had happened before).
Wifi access is free, and it worked fine in the first room (front-facing) but not in my previous and the current room (both back-facing). Now I can only get a signal next to the door.
So, yes it's cheap, but you get what you pay for, and you don't get what you don't pay for!

• Stayed February 2011

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Nice location. Great free car park. Spacious. Rooms far too old and dirty. Carpet in room had iron burns everywhere. The window was so dirty you could hardly see out of it. The headboards on bed were filthy. The hotel room door so old you could hear every little noise of people walking past. Still an old fashioned key system.

To make this hotel recommendable the rooms need to be refurbished big style.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kulim hotels

Kulim
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

this hotel not worth the price. is sucks the room is dirty . the shower giving me problem. if you need hot water you on the water bigger become cold water

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Seri Malaysia? Share your experiences!