“A Very Good Option.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Mrauk U B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A Very Good Option.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had arranged a private boat from Sittwe and embarked in blazing sunshine into the vast mouth of the river with wonderful views across rice fields and far away mountains. A couple of hours into the journey it was freezing cold and I sat huddled on the open deck trying to keep myself warm
The river meanders into narrower waters past tiny shacks and small groups of farm workers gathered around blazing open fires, one of the boat hands moved to the bow with a torch for fear of us colliding with fishermen on tiny planks of wood, only visible by the glow from their cigarettes!
Five hours later I arrived shivering at the jetty and took a cyclo on the twenty minute journey to the hotel.
I received a very friendly welcome from the staff and went to my adequate room for a shower. Supper wasn't great but sufficient and as they had no whiskey they obligingly sent a lad downtown for a half bottle of the local brew which was terrific!
The next day I hired a form of tuk tuk and covered most of the local sights including some fascinating ancient temples and monuments, one of them was especially eerie. I then walked around some outlying villages to see what the locals were up to. Extreme poverty everywhere, makeshift huts and crudely fenced gardens with all sorts of animals running free, in and out of the accommodation and if you owned four plastic chair you were well ahead of your neighbour!
On the way to a monastery I saw somw partially disrobed monks playing soccer and on another occasion I joined a game with some young lads whose only english was 'Hi', 'Bye'!
The market downtown is a source of fascination, not much for sale that one would recognise at home except a few poorly faked goods and contraband booze. The stallholders were hilarious, giggling away as I tried to stoop under the awnings. I bought a couple of woven blankets for the return journey.
I loved this place, it's still authentic, smoke everywhere and terrible roads but the atmosphere and warmth of the people made up for any shortcomings.
The hotel has no pretentions, it is well run and the staff are all delightful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

There is no comparison with its namesake in Sittwe. This hotel is infinitely better.The manager was very friendly and helpful. All of the staff, even the front guard / watchman were efficient, friendly and attentive. I fully recommend this hotel if you are visiting Mrauk U. It is a short walk to any and all interesting destinations. The rooms were clean and the hotel has an efficient backup system for the many power outages that frequent Mrauk U.

Room Tip: get a room in the back away from the comings and goings of the front desk and restaurant
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

This hotel is certainly much much better than it's sister hotel in Sittwe. The manger speaks very good English and was extremely helpful in helping me to contact the travel agent I had booked things through. The bungalow which I stayed in was fine, the room was not huge but big enough and the bed was comfortable, the bed linen good quality. The shower however could be much improved! It consisted only of a hand held one over the side of the bath but there was plenty of hot water and I had no real problems with it (but I am not a shower perfectionist). I ate lunch in the restaurant on two occasions, and felt slightly overwhelmed as I was the only person there and the two staff were literally hanging over me in their attempts to be attentive. The food was good quality. The breakfast was much like many I had - okay. I would certainly recommend this hotel as management were so helpful and the quality of the room is absolutely fine!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed here on a recent visit to Mrauk U. I was originally supposed to stay at the Mrauk U Princess but a snafu by my travel agent required a change.

The Shwe Thazin is located on the other end of town from the Princess and it is a bit of a ride from the jetty but on a busy road that leads to most of the places you want to visit. It consists of a bunch of one-storey bungalow type rooms. It is owned by the same people as the Shwe Thazin hotel in Sittwe. But it is a whole lot nicer and newer.

My bungalow was quite large with a queen size bed and a twin next to it. This seems to be a feature in a number of hotels in Myanmar. Perhaps it is designed for families. There was also a sitting area with a small sofa and chairs, a minibar/fridge, desk, dressing table, wardrobe... It was a well outfitted room. The bathroom was also rather large with a tub and separate shower. There was also a wash basin inside the room in addition to the one in the bathroom which would be handy if one person was in the bathroom or if all you need to do is brush your teeth.

Lighting is just OK. The room being so large with a high ceiling doesn't help, plus the interior is all wood paneling.

The TV gets a few channels including BBC World or sometimes CNN-I. They seemed to change which channels were available at different times of the day.

The a/c unit was strong enough.

There are relatively frequent power outages in this part of the world. The a/c and TV are connected to surge protection devices that do not allow them to turn back on for a short while even after the lights come back on.

Breakfast is OK, but not plentiful. No buffet here. They take your order for eggs, bring you some toast, tea, orange "juice", etc. It is enough food, but barely. I also ate dinner in the restaurant each night. There is a mixed menu and food was fine. Service tries very hard. There seemed to be one gentleman who was basically in charge of the dining room and a younger guy helping out.

The whole staff were quite friendly, always smiling and saying hello.

I sprained my ankle very badly getting off a boat when returning from a day trip to the Chin villages. I was in a lot of pain with a lot of swelling. Medical care isn't exactly readily available in Mrauk U, but I knew how to treat a sprain. I had my guide ask for some ice and a short time later I was delivered a bucket of large ice chunks to my room. It worked out well enough for icing it down through the evening. I was leaving the next day for Yangon so at least I didn't have to do a whole lot of walking on it for a day. So, the staff came through for me.

I really enjoyed my stay. There is no internet here. They told me the only place in town with an internet connection is the Princess hotel.

The only drawback here is that termites are eating the hotel. I could see the piles of dust in the corners of the room and on the plug of some things I had plugged in overnight. I have to assume they are aware of the situation but there may not be much they can do about it at this point. Also, Mrauk U is a very smoky place. People in the town live in small huts basically and the cooking fires start up around sundown and then again in the morning. So if you have a lot of respiratory problems, Mrauk U may not be the best place to visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Shwe Thazin Hotel? Share your experiences!