“Wonderful Wedding Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
inishowen
“Wonderful Wedding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I decided to write this review as I attended a wedding in this hotel only a few months ago, from entering the hotel to leaving that night the service was excellent, the staff even organised a local taxi to leave us home. The food was served with skill and the quality was great. The bride and groom were delighted also as the hotel had everything organised for them leaving them with more time to spend with their guests. The location of this hotel is amazing which matches my experience here. For a couple looking for a venue for their wedding, check this place out as I'm sure it will tick all the boxes for your special day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed with my wife and two young children over the Christmas period and had a wonderful time. Very child friendly, nice leisure facilities and bar food good quality at a reasonable price. The excellent childrens play area adjacent to the bar area made our stay even more relaxing. The area is stunning too.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with two kids aged 3 and 7. Excellent family hotel with brillant kids play area in the bar so we could enjoy our meal and bottle of wine (which was excellent). The kids had a ball in the play area and during the day, the pool was great. I found the staff very helpful and friendly from the moment we checked in. A 10 minute walk takes you to a lovely beach which also has an outdoor kids play ground. Overall an excellent family hotel with a great atmosphere, would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in november with my wife for a friends wedding for 2 nights.
This is what I think.
Poor standard of food in bar, canteen standard for City prices. Food offered on menu is not what arrives on your plate. Fresh cream offered but cheap instant cream served.
Rude, poorly trained staff of a low standard in bar and at wedding banquet. Some staff working at the banquet were working for the first time as servers.

Very poor attitude from management when we raised issues. See other reviews.

No water in bathroom to shower. Never informed of this. This was due to an apparent leak somewhere in the hotel.

I will never set foot in this place again.

I know what a great hotel offers, however this place falls short of the number of stars it offers.

Dissappointed customer.

• Stayed November 2012
JoDBL, Customer care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear guest, it is disappointing to read your comments.  Our hotel gets such wonderful compliments on the quality of food daily so it is surprising that your experience was not the same, we believe our prices are very reasonable also. I'm sorry that you felt management were not able to resolve your issues when you raised them.  We had a major leak in our hotel in November which was quite serious, the water had to be turned off temporarily until the problem was resolved, I hope you can understand that these problems were beyond our control. Im sorry your time with us at the lodge was not enjoyable, we take all feedback  received seriously and i can assure you your comments will be passed onto the rest of the team, best wishes.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Arrived saturday afternoon with another couple to celebrate his even bigger birthday.
Recption was pleasant and made our way to our room, 204 which was freezing. No Heating. Contacted reception & reported situation & were advised that she would put it on.
Went for a walk along the beautiful nearby beach & about an 1 1/2 later returned to the hotel for a beer. The Advisor went up to the room only to return a short time later to advise that the room was still cold.
Upon retiring to our room to get ready for dinner we discovered that not only was the heating not on but the water pressure in our bath was virtually non existant. Again contacted reception & a young man was sent up to rectify the situation.
It turned out to be the barman who served us in the bar after our walk. He got the heating going & sort of resolved the water pressure. Also the temperature of the water wasn't overly hot.
Dinner in the restaurant was okay for what you pay. Only problem with it was that bar & restaurant are really one & as it was very busy in the bar the waiting staff were stretched.& service suffered. Also quite noisy.
After dinner there was nowhere really to sit except in the foyer & relax & have a drink because there was pretty average music in the bar, tables in the bar had food plates dirty & scraps of food where people had eaten & also kids running around. Across the foyer in the function room there was 40th birthday party again with pretty average music spilling out into the foyer & again kids running about & in & out of the toilets. People were going into the main doorway & smoking which meant that the smell came into the foyer. No member of staff stopped this practice.
We decided to visit another hotel bar for a pleasant & quiet drink.
The hotel provides, not a turn down service, but earplugs. You need them if there is a reception on.
The heating came back on. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.
Breakfast in the morning was okay for a buffet type. Could have been a better selection of fresh fruit.
When we were checking out the receptionist offered a small reduction in our bill because of our heating difficulties before we raised the issue.
Will we return. Yes but in mid week when problems with the heating & water pressure have been resolved & provide there are no functions being held.

Room Tip: Go for a romm on the 2nd floor away from the noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at the ballyliffinlodge recently,  it is our aim here to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable time with us, sometimes certain issues are out of our control like the the smell of cigarettes coming inside the hotel or children running around.  The heating problems were rectified once we were aware that the heat did not come on after your first request.  Your comments in relation to the service in our restaurant will be addressed with the restaurant manager and I apologise that it was not up to standard.  We provide a selection of fresh fruit every morning for breakfast and this is replenished during service.
Our hotel is a popular wedding destination and as we are small hotel noise tends to travel so for this reason we provide earplugs in our guest rooms if noise is an issue as we try and ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible during their stay. I do hope you will come back to stay with us again the future.  Kind regards

Drogheda, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrive on a Friday evening to find the reception area crowed as there was a wedding going on, As it was just myself and my Husband this was disappointing. We were shown to our room which was in the attic of the Hotel. Skylights for windows! I found the room very claustaphobic and asked to be changed. We got the room changed and second room was good. We decided to go to the bar for a drink after our long journey, no room in Bar! I also forgot to mention , when we arrived we pulled up to front of house to unload car , my husband went to park the car. I went into hotel with some of the luggage where I was seen by some of the staff but nobody came to help me.
The dining room is just off the bar which I found noisy. The food was good but we were handed the same dinner menu on both nights which was a very limited menu. Breakfast was a buffet which was just ok and selection again limited(more fresh fruit needed, not tinned!)
The staff were lovely. I won't be returning, alll in all ,very disappointing .
To be fair the hotel did say there was a wedding on both days of our stay but this really shouldn't affect the other residents of the Hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take an Attic room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JoDBL, customer care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay here with us at the Ballyliffin Lodge and you were not happy with your room allocation, unfortunately some of our rooms have velux windows, these rooms are located on the second floor and we try to allocate non wedding guests these rooms so that they are least affected by the noise levels from the function. These rooms have the same interior as our other standard rooms but i can appreciate people who suffer from claustrophobia may not like these. We are currently undergoing refurbishment work in the hotel and we will be replacing these velux’s with dormers during this time. I am glad we were able to relocate you to a room with a normal window and your comments will be addressed with the rest of the team; I do hope you will return to the Lodge again sometime in the future.
Buncrana, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Was here at a 50th birthday party at the weekend and stayed the night. We arrived on the Saturday and I went to the leisure facility at the house. It was really good. Nice gym and swimming pool, sauna etc. Was a bit to tired the next morning but I would of loved to go again. Spa is worth the visit if you can. The food was great as was the service. Actually the staff are some of the nicest people that I have met and in any way they can accommodating. I am really looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the executive suites with a view are cool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JoDBL, Customer care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,thank you for your great review on our hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us at the lodge recently. We have a great team of staff here at the lodge and I will certainly pass on your comments to them. I hope to welcome you back again soon, best regards,

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!