“Another fantastic holiday at Rising Sun.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rising Sun Residence

You added Rising Sun Residence to your Saves list
Rising Sun Residence
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   48/13 Moo 6, Soi Sai-Namyen, Chao Fa West Road, Chalong, Phuket Town, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chalong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Be
“Another fantastic holiday at Rising Sun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My Husband and I stayed here in August. We were excited to be returning to Rising Sun, after a fantastic stay last year.
Wipa, Methee and staff are as helpful as always – nothing is too much trouble.
Breakfast served in the villa was wonderful, fresh and tasty.
Having been to Phuket previously, were we keen to stay in and relax, and the pool at Rising Sun was the perfect place to do just that.
I don’t need to tell you all about this wonderful hotel as it has been described many times previously. Perfect holiday - we will be back at Rising Sun again next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Really enjoyed our 4 night stay at RSR in August 2013. Two adults and 2 teenagers can easily stay at 1 bed room villa, we did have extra beds for the kids and there was ample room. The driver Sukin, the housekeeper No, the hostess Blah and the owner Wipa all made us feel very much at home and suggested nice places to go and things to do. It was pure luxury to have breakfast prepared at our villa when we were slowly waking up. The other villas were all empty during our stay so we had the shared pool all to ourselves. All staff were very friendly. Officially we had the driver from 1pm till 10pm but the first night we didn't bother going anywhere and one night we stayed at Kata Beach and got a taxi/tuk tuk home ourselves. It is very steep so don't expect to walk much in the area of RSR. Highly recommend. Thanks RSR!!

Room Tip: We had villa number 4. A one bedroom villa is big enough for a few nights. The lounge does have a so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Rising Sun Residence is nothing less than the best place to stay in Phuket, the staff are extremely enthusiastic and friendly. Not only are the villas very clean they had a lovely view of the Chalong Bay. Absolutely Stunning. The atmosphere at the villas was really calm and relaxing and it’s such a fantastic place to go if you have a family to take. The swimming pools were incredible as was the food. Rising Sun really go for a more personalized service and pay attention to what you want. It’s so much better than any other place to stay in Phuket. Although, despite the staff being excellent, there was occasionally a language barrier but it was a hardly a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed at the Rising Sun with my wife and 2 young children (Cohen & Jackson) in a 3 bedroom villa (Villa 'Chandra'). Yes it's expensive but worth every penny. Villa was huge with views towards Chalong Bay, great sized pool which the kids loved and breakfast every morning in the villa was great. Kuhn Wipa was amazing and welcomed us like part of her family. What a lovely lady. She was assisted by the fab Ms. Prapussorn and a very hard working team. They helped us arrange where we wanted to go and booked dinner in various restaurants. Having our lovely driver (Bhang) was a highlight, allowing us to go wherever we wanted. We will be back! Khob-kun-krub!

• Stayed July 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family of 5 visited Thailand for the first time in March 2013. My kids are 15, 13 and 10. As busy working parents, we did not have a lot of time to plan our vacation, so we were attracted to the advantage of having a driver and the benefit of local expertise to help us out. We were not disappointed! Khun Wipa was amazing. We let her book all of our dinners - lots of local Thai options, but also some of the best Italian (kids request) and steak we've had. Our driver was excellent and took us to all the best spots. We said we wanted to go to his favorite beach, and it was perfect. We also took Khun Wipa's cooking class, which we would highly recommend. The villa was huge, and we loved having the private pool. Breakfast made to order every morning was also nice. We highly recommend Rising Sun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

The moment we stepped out of PI airport, we knew we were going to have a great time. We were greeted by our driver with a big sunny smile. He loaded our luggage and was already instructed by Khun Wipa and Ms. Prapussorn where we wanted to go. We were forewarned by Trip-advisors that there might be a language barrier with the drivers. We went to the supermarket and he waited patiently for us.

On arrival to RSR, Ms. Prapussorn (on behalf of Wipa) was waiting for us with jasmine flower bracelets in front of the 3 bedroom villa with private pool at RSR. She helped plan our activities for our 4 day stay. We relaxed at Nai Harn beach, rode on elephants, had massages, visited Wat Chalong and White Buddha. We always enjoyed our morning swim in the villa's private pool. We also had a delicious dinner at Kan Eang Pier Restaurant about 5 minutes of driving.

Breakfast and fresh seasonal fruits were served daily. Wipa and her staff goes to the market daily. Breakfast was abundant with choices. Our housekeeper meticulously clean our villa from dishes to lanai! We didn't have any problems with water temperature or pressure. I think their herbal soap/ bottle shampoos are manufactured just for the Rising Sun. They were in bottles but we didn't have problems with them. The L'occitane bottles (at Ritz) were difficult to squeeze.

We are thankful to have a driver included. We realized it is difficult to get to some places with public transport plus language barrier and taxis because were 5 of us. Taxi has a capacity of 3/4 PAX.

Thank you, Rising Sun for an unforgettable and hospital stay in Phuket. We will be back. Kob kun Kaa

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had very high hopes for this place. A tripadvisor traveller's choice winner and one of the top places to stay in Phuket. I feel that at the moment the hotel is resting on it's laurels and needs to raise standards to deserve the 5 star ratings and amazing comments. It is a mystery to me how there continue to be so many 5 star reviews and no criticism.

Let me just say that the staff are lovely. Very friendly, happy to help and Wipa can organise and advise on some great things to do/eat in the local area. If the staff were bad then it would have gone from an average stay to a disappointing one.

You've probably read loads of glowing reviews of this place telling you about all the good things so I'm not going to do that here, go read the others. Below is an honest appraisal of the things which in my opinion we not up to scratch and detracted from my stay. Hopefully the hotel will take notice and improve some things, but at least fellow travellers can be aware.

The included driver, as everyone says, is pretty much essential to having a good trip as the hotel is so remote and there is nowhere to walk to. Our driver spoke very little English and on several occasions was reluctant to wait for the length of time we asked even though we were well within our time limit. An hour or so at a location seemed fine but if you say I'm going to the beach and dinner, see you in 3-4 hours, he got a bit funny about it. I don't really want to negotiate with a driver that is bought and paid for in my room rate so that was a slight irritation when planning days out. On the whole he was ok, drove incredibly slowly everywhere to the point that other motorists kept honking their horn at him, but we just allowed extra time for his poor driving when planning a day and tried to look at it as a bit of comedy rather than getting annoyed. We soon gave him the affectionate nickname of Manuel (UK people will know why).

We were unable to make full use of the pool in the evening/night because half of the pool lights did not work. I reported it but they were not fixed during my trip and it wouldn't surprise me if they still don't work now. There doesn't seem to be many if any maintenance checks going on like a larger complex and when most of the pool and hot tub are pitch black at night it makes it hard to enjoy one of the main perks of the complex and surely this is easily noticeable to staff with basic checks.

If the Rising Sun did not charge such high rates then some of these things I wouldn't mind so much. I would like to just flag some things up to the tripadvisor crowd who seem to think it's a 5 star luxury paradise. I compare the Rising Sun to some other island hotels in Thailand which I have stayed in which were truly amazing and in the same mid-high price bracket, namely the Jamahkiri on Koh Tao and Silavadee Resort on Koh Samui.

When I'm on a holiday which is very pool and beach orientated the one thing I really like is a good shower. Sadly the Rising Sun could take the award for the worst shower I've ever used in a hotel. Not only did the water pressure keep alternating every 30 seconds between a dribble and normal flow but the water temperature kept swinging from completely cold to burning hot every minute too so had to either keep adjusting the shower controls or step out of the water. Either way it was irritating and uncomfortable - a £30 a night hostel would have provided a better shower. The shampoo/gel/conditioner were in tiny bottles which were too hard to squeeze so had to tip upside down and wait and wait... Cheap and tedious - get some proper size bottles or dispensers for guests. Covered in sand/salt from the beach there's not enough in them to last more than two people showering and they weren't replaced the next day either, only on day 3.

The pool and lounge area is a comfortable size for two couples but I am incredibly thankful that only 2 of the 5 villas were occupied until the penultimate day of our stay, because when two families turned up and started using the pool it made things very cramped. If you are unlucky enough to stay at a busy time with 4 or 5 full villas it would not be a peaceful nor relaxing experience to use the pool area or sun loungers and I dare say could ruin your holiday - screaming kids in such an intimate complex is not what I call fun, don't be fooled into thinking a family of 4 would get their own separate villa and pool - they are quite happy to get the rollaway beds out and use the one bedroom villas! This spoils the peace and quiet for everyone, especially if you are on a couples holiday and they can monopolise the pool quite easily. The Rising Sun should not allow a family in the one bed villas - with the 5x one bed villas booked you could end up with a mix of 20 adults/kids sharing the small swimming pool!! Also, the photos and other reviews don't mention that the pool and lounge area are right next to a road which is by no means a main road but has a reasonable amount of traffic up and down which spoils the peacefulness.

The main lounge of the one bedroom villa we stayed in was a good size but it had a tiny uncomfortable sofa which was barely big enough for two people to sit together on and I know you're not meant to go on holiday to watch TV etc etc but a little bit of TV is nice! The first square box old style TV I've seen for years greeted us. An example of the Rising Sun resting on it's 5 star laurels. Not only would investing in widescreen LCD TVs for the villas be more power efficient but they would pump out a lot less heat into the room than the old TVs. The air conditioning units are on their last legs and struggle anyway so every little helps.

It was a relief to get to the hotel in Bangkok after the stay at the Rising Sun because of the incredibly hard bed. Why such a hard mattress? The pillows were cheap and flat too. We both slept quite badly and didn't feel as well rested as we hoped.

To conclude, perhaps by Phuket standards this place is amazing, I haven't spent a lot of time there. If so I would hate to stay at the other places! However it is not amazing by my standards or by the standards of the other islands like Tao or Samui. On balance there were many positive aspects to my stay and trip to Phuket but I wouldn't book the Rising Sun again and not sure I could recommend it to family and friends, I've had too many wonderful stays at other places which provide true relaxation and luxury for a similar price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rising Sun Residence? Share your experiences!