“Wonderful surprise” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early September by accident- largely because we had booked too late to stay within Lucca itself. Turned out to be a fantastic accident! This was the best place we stayed during our three weeks in Italy. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, and we woke up to a magnificent view through our window in the morning. Dario is super friendly and able to help you with whatever it is you want to do in the general area. We opted to stay in one night and Dario cooked us a delicious multi-course meal, including a bottle of the wine made on site. The castello has a very social atmosphere, with a communal table for breakfast and other meals. Can't recommend this place highly enough. I wish we could have stayed longer. It is very close to both Lucca and Florence, an easy day trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Such a memorable stay and journey !
We rented all hotel for a university friend group of 12 people coming from Sicily, Germany, Austria and Italy.
Mr. Dario and her american wife was very kind, we enjoyed ourself in a relaxing and familiar atmosphere.
The food is typical from local and genuine Tuscan products and we recommend this place to everybody above all for family.
Armando from Trento - Italy

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This B&B has it all. Great location, awesome rooms, fantastic host. We got it all right here. Dario set up everything we asked--wine tasting, quaint dinner (he cooked). Fantastic dinner he arranged at a local place close by. If we travel this area again, we would definitely stay here. It could not have been a better experience

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Such an awesome place! This was our home base for 3 days and Dario and Marie made our stay very memorable. They help with recommendation on places and sites to visit. We asked recommendations for fine Tuscan food and Dario replied that he was on outstanding cook. So they prepared a wonderful dinner meal for us on our last night.
I highly recommend that you take the time to enjoy this wonderful and relaxing atmosphere
Waddy W

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Algonquin Highlands, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! Dario and Marie (the owners) are extremely welcoming an hospitable and go above and beyond to ensure you will have an amazing time. They offer amazing home cooked Tuscan dinners complimented by Dario's home made wine and olive oil, produced from olives and grapes right on the property. Dario is full of amazing stories about his time working in the North American, European and Middle Eastern hospitality industries and his experience really shows. He is also full of advice of where to visit, interesting day-trips and how to get there. All in all, this place was a great experience and I highly recommend you take the the time to go...I wish I could have stayed for months.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Howick, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We did not know what to expect when we were winding up the hill to find San Gennaro Castello B&B, the view just got better and better. When we arrived the view was spectacular. We were welcomed by Marie and immediately felt at home. We were suppose to stay one night but stayed two. The little family restaurant in the next town which we walked too was great!! Dario's home made wine was the best. We arrived strangers but when we said good bye to Dario, Marie and the children we were sad to leave our friends behind and move on. We hope to return soon to stay with then again. Pieter and Riana van Rensburg from South Africa.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

From the moment we arrived at San Gennaro Castello, my daughter and I felt like we were part of Dario and Marie's family! It's a crazy ride up to the B&B, and when you get there the views are breathtaking, the town (I should say towns, there are loads of tiny towns on this mountain side) is lovely and ancient, and Dario's property offers welcome respite from the bustle of the world below. We had a great room, lovely decorations and large bath, with a window open to the olive trees in back. In the midst of a summer heat wave our ceiling fan was greatly appreciated, making our sleep in the excellent bed cool and comfortable at night. If you have time, Dario will give you impromptu cooking lessons, and prepare an amazing Italian feast made with only incredible local ingredients for a wonderful dining experience. Our dinner was enhanced by other guests from Switzerland and Australia which made for a truly unforgettable night. Dario and Marie also made dinner reservations for us at a fattoria within walking distance, which was magnificent. I am running out of superlatives to relate what a great place this is. I encourage anyone to stay here who wants a real, personal Tuscan experience instead of a sterilized, formal hotel. Although he has lived around the world, Dario is a local and he made amazing suggestions to my daughter and I about a visit to Cinque Terre which saved us tons of time and wasted energy trying to get around an unfamiliar area. One other thing which cannot go unmentioned: I left 2 valuable items in the drawer next to my bed as my daughter and I left quite early for the Pisa Airport (and Dario was already up making us breakfast). When I realized that I had left them I emailed Dario and he sent them back to me, completely intact, and they were waiting for me when I arrived home. I hope to go back to San Gennaro Castello some day (soon), I encourage anyone wanting a break in Tuscany to visit, stay for days, and soak up life on the mountainside!

Room Tip: I did not see other rooms, but ours was great. It had a queen size bed, two entrances, one to the ou...