“Great break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Armagh, United Kingdom
“Great break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Really enjoyable short break at this hotel. Staff were very friendly, food was excellent and the leisure facilities were great. Nice walk around the grounds.Looking forward to a return visit in January.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding staff, food and our leisure facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit in January. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have been stopping here on regular business trips, and i have to say pretty faultless. Spacious rooms always clean and tidy, great facilities GYM and SPA which i can not comment on yet as i have not used either so far. A quite impressive atrium with log fire and the kells bar a couple of the nice public spaces to relax in. The Hotel restaurant is superb with a good menu and reasonably priced, i highly recommend the Warm chicken ceaser and the setanta burger a quality feed. Staff very friendly and helpful. i can not find a single fault. I highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to read your many kind comments. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
bangor co down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and really can't fault the place.
Loved it.
This was our 3rd time staying.
Meal in restaurant was excellent .
Staff so helpful and friendly and even though there was 30 of us nothing was a bother.
Place was lively and buzzing.
Will defo be back

Room Tip: We got front room so great aspect.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding the food and staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
allatim
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I visited this Hotel about 18 years ago travelling from Dublin to Donegal,it was feted then as the ''in'' place to play golf and had very high standards.I stopped and had a meal, I had fillet steak and by God was it rank, it was all but blue, it left me with a sour taste in my mouth about the place ever since.
So I recieved a voucher from a colleague, a nicely presented gold card and we opted for a 2 night stay to include breakfasts and evening meal, we brought our little boy with us so we had a family room (624).We also decided to do some shopping in the North and celebrate our wedding aniversary.
First impressions to me always determine our attitude as you might gather from our previous reviews and this was not good,we had just travelled for 7 hours it was 8.50pm when we arrived,our greeting was cordial and adequate having been asked twice if we needed help with out bags and declining we were asked a third time somewhat robotic but not to worry we booked dinner were told we needed to pay as we went, as my credit card was not registered on their system even though I booked the room with it, so with the room paid 298 euro, a balance remained on my gold card everything else was cash,A smile at reception costs nothing!
So the room was immaculate the curtains we noticed were exactly the same material on our duvet and pillow cases at home so in essense we felt right at home ,the bathroom too was pristine a credit to the uphouse staff, in fact I needed an extension lead for a respirator and a member of the uphouse staff went out of her way and spent a lot of time looking for a cable for us,well done.
To Dinner night 1
I had Tampura prawns with chilli dip my wife had deep fried brie our little boy had fish fingers and chips,all very nicely presented and very tasty ,our main course,I decided on the fillet with pepered sauce (rare to medium), this time the fillet was perfectly cooked ,however the veg was over salted,stone cold and unedible just aswell it came seperately.My wife opted for the fillet of Hake and she remarked that it was divine we also ejoyed a bottle of house wine and handed over a hefty 107 euro plus tip.
To Bed night 1
I decided to check my email on the keyboard provided,I got the batteries from the safe but failed to get it to work correctly.Beds very comfortable woke about 4 and ventured to open the window and had a nudist show in the bedroom opposite, I did'nt have to pay for this.
Breakfast: nothing to write home about , tea as weak as dishwater and coffee likewise,long wait for toast, bacon and sausages superb.
The Pool.
One of the best ''indoor'' pools we have encountered.
Dinner night 2:
This was to be the so called ''included dinner''this turned out to be an absolute disaster, I had the mussels,I like mussels and here in Cork we get mussels of size , these were the size of peanuts with a sprinkle of bread laid out in a pretty circle to make them look a lot more than what they were, which was to me anyway a ''con job'' My wife and little boy had soup which was beautiful.My main course was a parcel of Lemon sole, it was beautifully prepared and cooked, my wife on the other hand had the Hake as she enjoyed it so much the previous night however she left the whole thing after her because it came with a watery sauce was raw and without flavour.My little boy was to have a portion of the roast of the day with gravy , but this too was inedible because the gravy was as thick as syrup and was sickly sweet, having poured it on the dinner he could not eat it.
In fairness to Monika( not to be faulted at all) she offered us alternatives and compted my glass of wine but to be honest far to many inconsistancies at that stage we left deflated never to return, to add insult to injury we were asked to pay 4.70 for jelly and a dollop of choclate ice cream my little boy had instead of his dinner at reception the following morning , how cheap is that ?
I believe my reviews to be honest and totally fair have stayed in 4 star hotels and eaten in Michelin stared restaurants and this hotel is way way way overated, as far as prices are concerned most certainly it is Michelin stared and that about sizes it up.
I would not return! not because of the service, but because of the standards that I anticipated and were not met, and that in my book is failure.

Room Tip: Travelling to the North on a shopping trip Try the Everglades hotel in Derry great value and superb...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to note your kind comments regarding your bedroom and leisure facilities. I understand our Quality Manager has spoken with you, as a result of a report sent to her from Monika and that she has apologised for your dissatisfaction with some elements of your meal on the Friday night. I am disappointed that you did not allow us to replace your wife’s main course on the evening. I do hope you will reconsider your decision not to return, as we would welcome an opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed for two nights with my husband and one year old. Have been a a few times before and will return again although the hotel has lost a bit of that luxury feel it once had. I think it's being updated at the moment with carpets etc being replaced.

We stayed on a groupon this time round. Excellent value. The room was a superior one with 6 ft bed. Little bit dated but the bed was extremely comfortable and room was clean.

As other posters have said the afternoon tea was nothing to write home about. We sent back our scones and the waitress replaced them with fresh ones.

Head bar man was excellent and Molly in the bar was also a pleasure. Otherwise service was very hit and miss depending on how busy it was. The manager though added a nice touch on a very busy Sat afternoon calling by the tables in the foyer to check all was okay with everyone.

I felt the bar menu was good value for money with the exception of a plate of pasta with sauce which cost almost €7 for a one year old! Food was lovely otherwise and the breakfast had a good variety on offer.

Spa was enjoyable as on previous occasions and we both used it during our stay. Some really good special offers in Dec.

The hotel offered us a very good rate of €70 to extend our stay by a night when we enquired. We didn't get to in the end. Overall we will return if the hotel keep running such good value special offers.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read your kind comments regarding the hotel and Ian, our Bar Manager. Please accept my apologies if your afternoon tea and bar service as not consistent with our usual high standards. Regarding the pasta dish, I assume that you ordered a Tagliatelle dish from the children’s menu at €6.75, this caters for children up to 12 years, however had you ordered a baby bowl we would have been happy to provide this at a charge of €2.50 and it is unfortunate you did not bring this to our attention at the time. I am happy to note you intend to return to the hotel and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker
Killinchy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having visited this great hotel before as part of a residential conference, we grabbed a deal to stay a couple of nights. The rooms are lovely, spacious, well equipped and pretty quiet and we got the best two nights sleep on the most comfortable mattresses. Afternoon tea was fine - nothing special and the breakfasts are a good spread. However, everywhere the worst of Christmas music was broadcast and hard to avoid. Many hotels spend a fortune on decor and 'ambience' and then play tat music or rap when folk are there to relax. It was Dec 1st so a little early for the Christmas party albums - let's have some classic or choral Christmas themes please. I didn't get to say - as unusually I wasn't asked on the way out if everything was alright!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted you chose to return to the Slieve Russell and to read your kind comments regarding your room and food at breakfast. We had a Christmas Craft Fair taking place on 1st December and had made the decision to play some Christmas background music in the foyer and restaurant to join in the spirit of the event, I am sorry if this was not to your taste. I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just back from a night in this hotel. As usual it never let's me down. I love it. It's so warm and welcoming. Food beautiful , staff lovely, spa excellent and an all round Christmas feeling. I'm going back in January and can't wait.

Room Tip: 625 lovely view of golf course
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding food, staff and our Christmas atmosphere. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!