“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
london
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really beautiful food, reasonably priced. I had a gorgeous goat's cheese terrine and a salmon kebab. Friendly too.

Visited August 2013

Somerset
“A Pleasant Evening, but .....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having seen the restaurant advertised locally, we thought that we would give it a try. It is located in a very attractive situation, right next to the church of Ste Catherine-de-Fierbois , in a square which is dominated by a statue of its name sake Jeanne of Arc. The interior of the restaurant is very traditional, I suppose, much like the food it serves.

My husband and I both opted for the' Menu Traditionnel' of three courses for 27 euros. Though we had a very pleasant evening, we came away with mixed feelings about the food. We both very much enjoyed our entrée and our desserts, but had reservations about the quality of our main course. I started the meal with a small 'cocotte de lotte'. The monk fish was cooked to perfection and the crayfish sauce was quite delicious. I also very much enjoyed my dessert which was caramelised pineapple on a tiny pancake, served with ice-cream. However, my chosen main course, a 'porcelet' was rather disappointing. The pork was tender and copious, but was too much like a vacuum packed dish one can buy at supermarkets. Equally, my husband found his 'entrecote' steak rather meagre. Both dishes were served with the same accompaniments. We drank a house Chinon red wine and thought that it was good value for the price.

Even though the restaurant was very busy, the service was efficient and the staff lively and friendly. The proprietor took the time to go around to each table to socialise with his clients. We felt that this was commendable.

Would we go there again? Yes, possibly. Considering the reasonable price per head, we considered the food acceptable, but on another occasion would choose our main courses more carefully. The restaurant has a very large terrace outside, which I would imagine would be very pleasant for eating lunch outside during the warmer months or dinner on a summers evening .

• Visited February 2013