“My home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Bougainvillea

You added Hotel Bougainvillea to your Saves list
Hotel Bougainvillea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 m Oeste de la Escuela Publica de Santo Tomas, Santo Domingo de Heredia 40301, Costa Rica   |
Kingsport, Tennessee
“My home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been staying at the Hotel Bougainvillea for 17 years now, and have to say that my most recent stay (March 2013) just reinforced why I keep coming back. I return to Costa Rica almost every year to visit with family and friends, and always stay at the Bougainvillea. The gardens are the big wow factor, but not the only reason I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The staff greets and treats me like family, and always makes a point of welcoming me back. The rooms are always clean and the beds are comfortable. The views from the windows and balconies can't be beat. The food is always good, if not excellent. The pool area is beautiful, and offers a sauna and exercise room. The gardens are where I spend my extra time, since they're never quite the same from year to year. It is probably because of the tranquility of the gardens that the Bougainvillea guests tend to be quieter and calmer. Since I come to Costa Rica for R&R, I appreciate the peaceful atmosphere. I like being away from the noise of San Jose, yet minutes away from the highway so I can be in San Jose within 15 minutes most of the time. Yes, traffic in San Jose is increasingly terrible, but by using back roads, one can get to most any place in the central valley within an hour. It's no different from large cities in the US--timing is everything . I do wish the regular rooms had refrigerators--only the junior suites currently do. I am a middle aged woman and feel safe and comfortable at the Bougainvillea, even when I travel alone. There are other beautiful places to stay in Costa Rica, but none that I know of can compare with the Bougainvillea.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room while staying here. I usually request a garden view room, but have stay...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Hadleigh, Suffolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 1 night at the start of our tour around Costa Rica and 2 nights at the end of the trip to unwind after 2 weeks of concentrated birdwatching all over the country.
we had a twin bedded room wgich contained 2 large double beds, a bath and shower, large balcony overlooking the beautifully maintained gardens and assorted birdlife, large flatscreen TV and a decent coffee making machine.
The beds were seriously comfortable. There is a good choice on the lunch and dinner menus at reasonable prices, although we felt that the buffet breakfast at £10 per person was slightly overpriced. Expect to pay UK prices or just over for your drinks. Overall though this is a very good hotel at reasonable cost and not too far from the airport. I`d allow 45 minutes to get to the airport unless your journey takes place during the rush hour, in which case an hour max should be sufficient. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and would unhesitatingly recommend this one as just the place to start and finish your time in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room on the first floor. You can still see the gardens from the second floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Comfortable rooms. Decent breakfast. Beautiful 10 acre garden with many birds. It's about an hour from the airport. (The hotel claims 20 minutes but that's only true at 3:00 AM in the morning with no traffic.)

oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We started and ended our holiday in San Jose and it was a real pleasure to stay at this hotel. The staff were courteous and efficient and the gardens had the WOW factor.

I can only concur with comments from other guests who rated this hotel Excellent

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and extended family stayed here at the start and end of our recent Costa Rican holiday. We arrived in the dark and wondered where we were heading as it is located away from the city centre in a quieter suburb. We need not have worried as the hotel is in a great location, far enough away from the airport, but close enough to it for easy transfer.
The staff were all very pleasant - especially our waitress at our final dinner. The rooms are well equipped and the beds comfortable and clean. Rooms either come with a garden view or one over the suburbs to the m
ountains surrounding the city. It is not too big to be impersonal, but not too small either.
It's major plus point is it's stunning garden, which is large and beautifully laid out. It makes a tranquil place to stroll and take a bit of air, whilst bird watching and spotting butterflies and enjoying the wonderful array of flowers and trees. The pool is enclosed and surrounded by the garden which protects it from the wind which is aways a constant feature.
The restaurant is clean, modern and the food very good. It also looks onto the front garden and the bird feeders which attract lovely birds - including a gorgeous Motmot!
This hotel makes a great choice for those that do not like city centres, but require a good standard of hotel to use as start and finishing point for San Jose. Recommended!

Room Tip: Rear rooms over look the garden and have balconies.
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from a week in Costa Rica (my husband, me and our 12 year-old daughter). Our first night, we stayed in Hotel Bougainvillea. We had not anticipated how slow rush hour traffic could be on a Friday night -- the trip from the airport was long even though the hotel is really quite close. If you can avoid arriving at this time, I recommend it. The neighborhood where the hotel is located in no way prepares you for the beautiful hotel and grounds. From the moment we walked in, the staff were all helpful, pleasant and easy to work with. The room was spotless and the linens on the bed were the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The gardens are astounding! We spent as much time as we could walking on the paths, smelling the huge variety of flowers, and marvelling at the beauty. The pool was nice and there is a small work-out room. The food in the restaurant was truly delicious, and again, the staff were great. One waiter noticed my daughter's interest in the some of the flowers and told her the name in Spanish (Reina de la noche). Try the white sea bass or salmon. They have a tour desk (Sun Tours) in the lobby and Rebeca was delightful and proactive in getting us set up with a car. We returned on the last night of our trip and everything was equally as good. A great landing spot for your first night. It didn't seem like there was too much else of interest right around there, but they will arrange day trips or you can explore the country on your own as we did.

Room Tip: The garden side rooms have a better view. We were on the "mountain" side which was fine...
Atlanta,Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel gardens are phenomenal! Our rooms were clean and nice with a beautiful view and the help at the desk was excellent. We spent the final night of our anniversary trip here and the waiter in the restaurant made us feel extra special! Everything he recommended was superb and he even brought us out extra ice cream a small cake to celebrate!!! Over the top service! The next morning he reserved a table for us while we walked the gardens and had our food prepared by the chef instead of the buffet! The beautiful young lady that books the tours took extra time to help me get my tempermental GPS unit working - the first day to Arazu and the next day to the gas station and rental car office at the airport. I could not have done it without her!!! Everyone was so kind and helpful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bougainvillea? Share your experiences!