“Nice, but beware the 'taxi' scam” 3 of 5 stars

Jl. Pantai Suluban, Pecatu, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #9 of 39 Pecatu B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Nice, but beware the 'taxi' scam”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This place is great value in all the normal ways - decent room, service, pool, grounds, & location is excellent if you either want to keep away from the crowds or go see the nearby Uluwatu Temple at your ease. And I'd love to leave it at that & give this place a 4/5.
But when I asked for a taxi to the airport - & I was clear when I said & confirmed "taxi" - I was assured this would be fine. Instead, a private car turned up & I was told to "sort out the price with the driver." The driver then stated IDR200k (USD21) & wouldn't budge. I had no time to make changes so I was forced to go with him. He told me on the way he drives guests for this hotel at this price every day.
As it turns out, a metered taxi costs IDR100k (USD10). So I have to warn future guests to insist on a "meter taxi", or call one on 701111.
This was a disappointing end to an otherwise very nice stay. (I only mention this because in the rest of my Indonesia travels this kind of dodgy dealing (& surely with a kickback to the hotel) was refreshingly rare.)

Room Tip: See room before u commit.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Aiea, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I loved my experience there! I went there with little expectations and was pleasantly surprised! Rooms were very basic, with no AC, but it was kept nice and clean. The staff were very friendly and felt like family. Love Kedak and her husband. Truly hospitable. Food is good, and overall it is good value for money. =) Would definitely return again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Gong in April, we were meant to stay for 3 nights and ended up staying for 6! The family who run The Gong (Kadek, Wayan and baby Bintang) are so friendly and helpful. We upgraded to the top floor apartment which had stunning views of the sunset each night from our terrace. We had a spacious lounge area and a great bedroom with air-con.
Value for money is excellent but it's really the family who made our stay that bit more special and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at The Gong for a couple of weeks while in Bali. I can not say enough about the + energy not only the staff gives, but the entire hotel has. It is built in Uluwatu in Bali (10 min walk to the point), and has a lovely garden, pool, and rooms. A simple place with a simple, kind, honest family. The family's daily life is spent keeping the people staying at The Gong happy, as well as pouring there heart and time into keeping the natural beauty flourishing at facility they have established. The food at their warung is excellent! The menu items and traditional dishes are cooked to order with love and pride. The food is as authentic as you can get, and is very very reasonable for what you get. All in all The Gong is a great place to stay, visit, or eat at and I will be going there for many years to come. Real people, who have a ton of Balinese pride and spirit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at The Gong for three weeks back in February '12 and felt right at home. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and very, very affordable. The pool was amazing and the food was great (I highly recommend the banana pancakes with honey).

What stood out was the service. The Gong family was so friendly, helpful, and generous. I would consider them friends for life. When we had questions, Kadek and Wayan would be happy to help us and give us information on places to go, eat, see, etc. They would go out of their way to make food for us and schedule transportation for us. Kadek took us to the temple to see the fire dance and Wayan took us to see the doctor at one point. They would clean our rooms when we were gone for the day which was so generous. We learned so much from them as they explained things about their culture and what things meant. They are truly all genuine and trustworthy people. I hope to go back very, very soon!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed in this place for three nights and we really enjoyed our stay. First of all the staff/family is very friendly and they will certainly make you feel like home. I wish all the best for them! The rooms are clean and there were also a nice pool area where you can eat for example your breakfast or just chill out and enjoy the relaxed athmosphere :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Valparaiso
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

The Gong is nice enough, has a relaxing pool, decent rooms, several with two twin beds, no AC but good crossbreezes and fans, and a great little restaurant. But the thing that really sets it apart is the staff. They all seem like one big family (which I think they might be?) and are the nicest people I met on Bali. Kade and Wayan take care of you, as do the older women. The food is wonderful. They are FRIENDLY. Our friend needed a bandage after getting a facial cut and Wayan motorbiked 30 minutes to the nearest hospital to get a special butterfly bandage, and didn't charge him anything. They also love helping you with speaking Balinese and Bahasa Indonesian, which was cool. They made our experience, and for that we are so appreciative. P.S. It's super cheap.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Gong? Share your experiences!