“Stunning location & villas but dubious food...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bulgari Hotels & Resorts Bali

Save Saved
You added Bulgari Hotels & Resorts Bali to your Saves list
Bulgari Hotels & Resorts Bali
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Goa Lempeh, Banjar Dinas Kangin, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Pecatu
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning location & villas but dubious food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have read reports in this website complaining about the villas and the food.. hence, I was hesitant about making a reservation especially during the wet monsoon period. Yet, I did so as Bulgari is flexible about the minimum number of nights stay (some top resorts in Thailand, like Six Senses & Trisara insist on a 10 day minimum in peak periods giving you a USD 50k bill!).. and I love Bali anyway...

I felt that the criticisms in Tripadvisor about the villas was totally unjustified. Some complain about the design of the villa (one review below talks about the lack of a covered walkway to the villa door entrance, but that is absurd as there is such a device called an "umbrella"..) and others complain about the wear & tear (another reviewer talks about the scratches on the bedroom floor but guess what? Wood scratches!). In reality, the villas are intelligently designed and well built. We stayed at a premier ocean view villa (number 45) and the sea-view was magnificent. Having stayed at all the Amans in Bali as well as the 4 Seasons Jimbaran, I would say that Bulgari's are the best beach villas. The layout maximizes the use of space both for the interior as well as the exterior, and the plunge pool is usable and attractive. All in all, the villas are superb (so please readers, don't whine about minor shortcomings!).

Having said how much I loved the villas, I must also admit that the food was pretty disappointing. The breakfast buffet is rather pathetic with limited options. And why have 2 tiered pricing for those who want it with eggs (American) and those who don't (Continental)? I also ordered the breakfast nasi goreng and they used brown rice which is very bizarre (having lived in Asia, I know my fried rice and rice HAS to be fluffy and white). We also stayed for New Year and food there was similarly uninspiring, especially for the hefty price of the New Year's eve event! Thus, overall, I agree with the criticisms on this website about the quality of the food and the hotel really needs to look at a new F&B team - as the hotel is a long drive from anywhere else (apart from the Alila, which has better food) you don't have many other dining options. Also, the wine list is TOTALLY horrific in prices.. it is totally unjustified to charge guests hundreds of bucks (minimum) for a bottle of wine, and even more for champagne!!

In spite of the criticisms of food (and cost of wine), this place is a "must see/stay/do" in Bali. The resort is well laid out, amenities are great (even the non-swimmable beach is pretty), service is excellent and the management team are very nice! Uluwatu is an authentic part of Bali that has not been destroyed by mass market tourists, and the Bulgari is in a stunning location. Combine it with a stay at the superb 4 Seasons in Ubud/Sayan and you have the perfect trip to the land of Eat, Pray, Love!

Room Tip: Stay in a Premier Ocean View VIlla as you won't get a view of rooftops in front (and won't h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bulle, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My family and I stayed at Bulgari last Christmas and it was amazing! Our villa was a two bedroom villa with a huge pool and living area. Here are the things I'd like to highlight:

1. The villa was excellent, with a lot of space.

2. We really enjoyed the spa, the atmosphere, the location, the service, the amazing cliff rooms and the treatment itself. My mom and I have been to lots of spa appointments and it was one of our favorite.

3. Fantastic view, just stunning!

4. We like the fact that we were showered with gifts, with different turndown amenities everyday.

5. Compliment for the bed, it was by far one of the most comfortable bed I've slept on.

6. A lovely Christmas Eve dinner, although it rained for a while. Food at Il Ristorante was delicious especially the truffle and leek amuse bouche.

7. Service was good but could improve.

Overall, our stay was great and we were so happy. Thank you Bulgari for a wonderful Christmas vacation!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Well another trip another hotel. Sorry I forgot to take pictures. My wife and I decided to go to Bali for New Years. We were booking with AMEX points and the Bulgari Hotels & Resorts Bali was one of the hotels that would could book with points. The photos seemed amazing (and yes the hotel, grounds, and rooms are stunning) so that is the hotel that we choose. Before arriving at the resort I emailed the hotel and they were very accommodating with arranging a pickup for our late arrival to the hotel. In fact we were greeted before we entered customs by a hotel staff member that walked us through the visa on arrival, walked us through around the customs line and had us processed by some higher up why we waited for our bags then got us to our car. On arrival we were taken directly to our room where they checked us in so that we did not even have to go to reception so late. Thank you. Below is my Pro's and Con's list. For every hotel I think you should always try and see both sides to everything so that people reading the reviews can make there own choice based on both sides.

PROS:
- The View. You can not go wrong anywhere in this hotel from the rooms to the restroom from reception to the pool. This is just fantastic.

- The villa. We had a wonderful room king bed room. The bathroom was larger that the bedroom practically and the bedroom was not small at all. This was a small house basically. A wonderful outdoor shower as well as an indoor shower (please see the shower con below). The plunge pool was actually warm. We have stayed in hotels with plunge pools before. The problem is the hotels never heat them they rely on the sun. This one just perfect. Last but not least about the villa is the patio. It is wonderful and really big. There is no lack of space in these accommodations.

- The staff. These are some of the nicest people out there. Good day and Roberto especially. These guys were so helpful and kind.

- The food in the Indonesian restaurant was really good and the service was great. The italian restaurant that is supposed to be this great restaurant that has won awards was a let down.

CONS:

- The overall lack of attention to detail. I do not blame the staff at all. I think something like this is taught from the hotel management. My suggestion would be to steal some managers from the Four Seasons.

- The shower. It seems like most people complain about this in the reviews. The floor is so rough that it feels like you are walking on the bottom of the sea with rocks on it.

- Leakage. Yes with all of the rain our room was leaking from the ceilings and it looked like it had been happening for a while. In addition to this the moisture was coming through the walls and a great deal of this was around the electrical outlets.

- Cleanliness. Since we checked in late we jumped into bed and went right to sleep. We woke up in the morning and the bed sheets looked like there was leftover room service stained on the sheets. Yuck. We took the sheets off and had the replaced. Three nights later it was the same thing again. They changed out the sheets and they were dirty again. This should never happen one time let only a second time.

- The pool service. This is an example of lack of attention to detail. Once get to the pool you get the towel service and the water. After that other than a snack later you really never hear from anyone again not even if you want to order a drink. I would think a hotel would want to sell sell sell. The towels were pretty old and frayed.

- Breakfast. This is a really odd one. When we checked in till about January 2nd the hotel was packed. The choices for breakfast were 4 things on the menu and some pastries, fruit and yogurt, and cereal in a buffet setting. It was not bad but what was really weird is that once the hotel emptied out we were greeted at breakfast and told that we could have anything we would like to have made for breakfast. This is not really a con it was just really weird. It seems like the hotel can not handle a large number of people (management).

SUMMARY:

This was a hard place to review actually. On one side it was just amazing and we walked out of the hotel loving our stay but we paid with points so the money is not a factor really. I think that if we had paid the huge sum of $1k per night we would have really been bummed out. There is a hotel that we went to for dinner called the Alila Uluwatu. This hotel is not the same style. It is stunning but very sleek and modern. It was very nice to walk around there at night and the food. WOW!!! it was awesome that is all that I can say. The staff were great as well.

WOULD I STAY HERE AGAIN?

Probably not. I would not be bummed if someone else paid for it but I would not pay for it. I would try out the Alila.

Richmond,VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My daughter Diane and I spent close to 6 weeks in Bali during July & August 2011. Of the six properties we stayed at, I enjoyed my time at the Bulgari the most. The beach is simply the best at the Bulgari! The service delivered was extraordinary and I felt like I was in paradise. My room was cleaned twice a day and we did not have any problem with bugs as I had in other resorts. The food was delicious at all of the restaurants.

I especially loved the beach The setting is natural despite the fact that an elevator crosses the mountainside to carry guests down to the beach. I also stayed at another upscale property along the same stretch of beach and climbing up and down that mountain to get to the beach is quite challenging. The manager of the beach-club seemed to everything about the wildlife surrounding us. He helped us find beautiful shells along the shore. It's different from any other beach I've ever visited.

We loved the swimming pool and hot-tubs. Our room was gorgeous and left little to be desired. I'm really glad that this was one of our final destinations because I would have felt let down if we had started out at the best hotel.

Room Tip: This location should be a top destination in itself. Don't expect an exciting nightlife or crow...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
HK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

This hotel is overrated. The villa was generally very dirty. We found dead bodies of the bugs and insects on the bed and shower area when we first checked in to the room. They were not removed after our four days' stay there! The pool in the villa was exceptionally small, the public one was small compared to all other resorts in the same class. The private beach was a joke. Need to take a lift there. All the way were full of ants! The people there had no knowledge as to what time to arrange hotel car to send us to airport! At this price, we feel cheated!!

Doha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I didn’t like my stay at the hotel.

I will start with the cons.
1. Unnecessarily expansive. I paid over $1,000 a night for the room. Nothing in the hotel made me believe the hotel was worth a $1,000 a night.
2. Cleanliness. For what I paid I expected there not to be any bugs in my bed. One night we grabbed 6 ants and three spiders from the bed! And yes the door/window were always closed. Plus the entire villa had one trash can!
3. Service. Depends on who you were dealing with. I appreciate why hotels would have non-locals working at the establishment, in this case they had Japanese and Chinese staff members to deal with their Japanese and Chinese clients. But they should at least be able to speak English! I was also very disappointed by the Chinese lady at the concierge desk. When I asked her of good restaurants outside the hotel for dinner, without even making eye contact she handed me a little booklet of different places to visit from her top drawer!
4. Beach didn’t serve any beverages.

Pros
1. The hotel probably has the best view in the world. No kidding the view from the top of the cliff can’t be described.
2. Food was great, and I really appreciated the fact that the included breakfast meant I can order it from a menu in my room. First time.
3. Monkeys. They came to our villa, a dozen of them, it was the most exciting thing about this trip. The hotel sits on a jungle-like cliff with plenty of monkeys.
4. The ride/adventure down to the beach. You have to try it to understand the highlight of our trip.
5. SPA was great.

All in all, I would not stay at this hotel again, however I do recommend honeymooners spend at least two nights there.

Bali, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

For the price you pay to stay at the Bulgari I think there are much better options in Bali, such as Alila, St Regis and The Four Seasons. For this level of hotel I expected much more. Aesthetically the resort was absolutely gorgeous and the room was beautiful. The fit out was of a very high quality as you would expect. Here is where i was let down: Upon arrival we had to wait 30 minutes to get into our room, we arrived after the check in time and i would have expected the room to be ready right away. The pool in the villa was cloudy , has dead worms in it and was dirty, In the evening we arrived back from dinner to find our room swarming with flying bugs, we called and had a man arrive, followed by another 3 staff who sprayed the bugs and informed me we had a nest of them at out front door, it was at this point that i would have expected a room transfer. Instead the room was left for us with all of the dead bugs on the floor and not cleaned up. We continues to have them invade our bed throughout the night which made for an uncomfortable and unromantic night. The hotel cannot control the bugs but they could have moved us to another room with no nest or at least cleaned up the dead bugs. The next morning we went to breakfast that was underwhelming, the eggs were cold and the yoghurt was warm, the service however was excellent, Upon return from breakfast i would have expected the bugs to at least be cleaned from our room but they were not. What I did like was the beautiful resort itself, the service from the butler and the restaurant staff, the bed was absolutely amazing, the most comfortable bed, doona and pillows i have ever slept in, the view was lovely. All in all I would not go again instead i would go to the Four Seasons which is at a better location, has better service and food or the St Regis where I could also say the same.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bulgari Hotels & Resorts Bali? Share your experiences!