“Average and variable” 3 of 5 stars

Sydney, Australia
“Average and variable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Pros -

Very friendly staff. Reading the other reviews here I'm amazed that I had such a positive experience with the staff, but almost every person that I dealt with was polite and seemed genuinely friendly.

Location and grounds were great, clean green and well kept and lit.

Cons -

Breakfast… This wouldn't necesarily be a con but they ripped me off on one occasion. Normally…Juice, white bread, small crosant, small cinnamon swirl and coffee or tea. I asked if I could pay the difference to have eggs as well and the woman said yes, served me the egg meal as well, minus any bread as my other one came with bread and then charged me for both. I didn't even bother arguing but I'm fairly certain that it wasn't an accident.

Avoid room 202! The smell from the bathroom whenever you use the sink is putrid. No S bends!? and there was a leak from under the sink. They moved me with no dramas when I asked though.

Wifi stopped working on the second day there and was out for a few days until I left.

Upstairs rooms aren't sealed and mosquitos are horrendous. They supply an electric mosquito zapper and I also had one of my own running but I had bad sleeps because of mosquitos. Downstairs might be better sealed but they also don't use gauze on air vents.

If you're reading this, and you are under 30 and a surfer you might be happy enough with it. Personally, it wasn't for me. I found the bulk of the surfers to be a fairly unfriendly lot but that's just my experience as someone who isn't one. I could imagine it being hell if you were keen on a good night's sleep and you happen to get a loud group nearby. I think you might find better options with smaller homestays.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I barely know how to start...
First of all the staff is terrible, no education, rude and try to make you foul.
The bedrooms would be okay if they were clean but they are not!!! The sheets are dirty, the floor is dirty, the blankets, everything. The bathroom is disgusting, almost impossible to take a shower without a flip flop.
The breakfast it is just good if you book the hotel for more than a week... if not the breakfast is almost nothing, just a croissant with some butter. And I have to say if you stay there for more than a week, congratulations, because I couldn't stay for more than 2 days.
The environment of the hotel and the localization are good, but this is the only good thing about it, I am pretty sure that you can find a better place as cheap as there.
The staff for me was the worst part of being there.
Totally don't recommend to go.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stayed in Bali for one month and have stayed in many different hostels, home stays, hotels however this is by far one of my worst.

The price is 230,000 without breakfast (very steep price considering other properties were much less). I stayed here for 5 nights and 6 days if hadn't booked I would have just left...

The room: no hot water - pretty standard over this way and surfing most of the day that didn't matter too much. Unless you pay a fortune you're looking at pretty basic rooms, but that's all good and apart of the fun.

However Ayu Guna - The room was covered in ants, sheets smelt very clean however they had way too many stains on them.
The bed itself was ok and comfortable! The walls were dirty! The room clearly has never been swept or moped because there was black dirt all along it.

The bathroom: wow, that was vile! Dirty walls, floor, ants and smelly drains.

If I paid 100,000 down by I could accept this lack of hygiene, however for the price they really need to get someone to clean the bathroom and room properly.

The staff: the receptionist on duty at time (I think her name was Ari) turned a solo customer away at night stating there were no rooms. Firstly, this girl had made a booking via agoda and had already paid and secondly she was given no apology as to why there were no rooms when she had already booked. We felt really bad for her so helped her find a room in the dark so that she wasn't walking with all her luggage . If that was me a female and a lone traveller first time in Bali... Well that would be a little scary to start with especially if I didn't know the place.

As it turned out room 135 had been empty all day was empty after we helped the girl and remained empty until 5pm the following evening meaning there was a room and this receptionist was simple not bothering to call her manager and to do her job properly.

Don't waste your money here head to cempaka inn up the road instead 150 a night with exception food and an amazing staff unit.

Finally the wifi was horrendous! No service in room and would cut out for days unless in the lobby.

The silver lining - it is near to the beach...very friendly people staying there all surfers and like minded people, has potential to be good if they focused more on room instead of the garden!

Room Tip: Back rooms privacy
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
St-urbain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I slept 4 nights in this hotel on a second floor of one of the several bungalows.
Normal breakfast included in the room. The restaurant serves wonderful vegetarian, seafood or meat curries! Open for lunch and dinner. Staff is very sympathic and helpful.
No swimming pool if it is one of your criterion, but the sea is very close. A/C

3 different ATM very close, stores also, several restaurants.

You can rent scooter in Ayu Guna Inn.

I was there by the end of April 2014 and I paid 250 000rp per night.

Room Tip: Second floor, better for air!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful garden, nice staff!
Good rooms, cold water, simple but very nice breakfast!
3 min walk to nice restaurants, and 10 min walk to Padang Padang beach!
I suggest to rent a car or a scooter, than you can see bingin, uluwatu beach and temple.

• Stayed May 2014
Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Place is a dump no hot water dirty smelly no tv no water pressure no soap and is miles away from everything, the place may as well have no power too, spend a few more $$$ and find somewhere decent. Guy says to me eveybody say why no hot water no tv no fridge a paid extra for delux room what a joke. Who ever is writing reviews saying its good has severe mental issues is retarded, blind or demented.

Room Tip: Dont stay there thats good advice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Definitely a cheap place if u are just finding a place to lay your head. It has Aircon in the room.
When i booked it, at the cheapest price it comes with brekkie. However, just a light one it was - croissant, escargo, a slice of toast...Probably because I was wanting it prepared at dawn as I had to take off early.
The guys were polite and helpful too that they were willing to prep up the brekkie that early.
If you are surfers, this place would be OK as it's close to the surfing area, Padang-Padang.
The Inn is about 10-15mins by taxi to El Kabron, one of the best joint in Bali.
They also seem to organise party weekly on Saturday, close to Padang-Padang area under the bridge, that started about 10pm. Unfortunately no time to check it out.

Now the down side...
If you are going to Bali for fun, please find somewhere closer to Jimbaran and towards Kuta as this Inn is really in an isolated area and not easy to find. I took 5 taxis to the hotel, all of them have to ask around and even Blue Bird has to call back to base to check where the place is.
It's very dark at night and not quite really close to any main actions that got my friends surprised why I booked the hotel.
Beware of the location marked on the map as it didnt look that it's accurate.
That area is "owned" by the Uluwatu Taxi, you cant order any other taxi from the front desk. IF you are ordering the taxi, e.g. Blue Bird, they can pick you up there no worries. Mind you, Blue Bird will take an hour to get there so please book in advance.
When booking the taxi via front desk, the helpful guy did tell me the Uluwatu Taxi have meter and do use meter. They were honest about this. But in reality, Uluwatu Taxi wont use meter if you are travelling just around the area.
They will say they have "flat rate" be in near or far if still within the area. But that's just their way of getting the best out of you so bargain hard as it's really not a "flat rate" as such as there's nowhere it says so.
I learned their trick the hard way after taking a couple of those taxi.
From Airport to Ayu Guna Inn will take around 45-60mins by freelance taxi in traffic, costed me Rp150.000
From Ayu Guna Inn to Airport took around about 30mins in light traffic and costed about Rp100.000 on the meter.
At night, around 10pm, its really hard to find taxi around there.
It doesnt have warm water, maybe because I didnt check that it doesnt actually have it.
The room upstairs when i was there, didnt look as grand as the photos. It has some strange smell, leak marks running down the walls, and the toilet tiles look like it wasnt cleaned. But again, i was there to just sleep and it was OK in that sense.
What really threw me off was their brekkie got me diarrhea! I was lucky I could handle them well around the tight schedule I had the next day of travelling on the road the whole day!

Room Tip: check out the room you are getting before accepting the allocated room. or tell them to give you a d...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ayu Guna Inn? Share your experiences!