“Frustrating service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
“Frustrating service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My major gripe is with the service and less so with the food. Our reservation was at 6:30pm. The tasting menu is supposed to last 2.5 hours. 3 hours in to the meal with the 3 phases of dessert left to go (palate cleaner, dessert and petit fours) my poor aunts were falling asleep in their chairs. I asked if we could speed up the rest of dinner and take the petit fours to go. Our server was very accommodating and told us that she would call the buggy and have a taxi waiting for us. That was fantastic, except it was all false. We finished dinner and waited 20 minutes for a buggy (the only way to get back to the area where cars come in). Then, when we got to that area, the attendant there said "sorry" - it's first come first serve and we had to give other people your taxi because you cannot reserve taxis here. And even though we requested a taxi over an hour ago at that point... The next taxi that arrived was given to a couple who was waiting there before we got there... and the reason they got that taxi was because we were waiting for the buggy... Whatever they claim to be their system baffles my mind and only makes me question what service is like at a hotel where you pay $1k per night but can't get a taxi in logical fashion. Highly frustrating customer experience.

Now back to the food. I feel weird complaining about this, but foie gras but 3 times during the meal was a bit much for me. The pumpkin soup was oversalted and my aunt's steak was tendon-y. Overall, not bad but not flawless and in Bali, for $100 per person plus 10% for service and 10% for tax and more for drinks (including water...which is a pet peeve of mine), you kind of expect a little more.

Visited September 2013

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
“Value Exchange”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

FOr Value Exchange of what we paid, it was slightly under when it came to service and the small details

Visited September 2013
Batavia, Illinois
“expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A six-star experience all the way, with a price to match. You can eat like a king for $5 in this country, and this meal is $100 US per person--and that's without too much boozing.

The restaurant has a very beautiful setting, surrounded by candlelight. I recommend this place if you're planning to propose marriage, or are celebrating an anniversary, or if money is no object. (I don't fall into any of those categories but, my oh my, the food was outstanding.)

Visited June 2013
Perth, Australia
“Spectacular Indian Ocean Cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were out on a scooter adventure when I saw the sign for Bulgari & said let’s go that way. An extraordinary experience would be to say the least. We asked to go in for a drink or lunch and were escorted on golf buggy around the $1000 per night property. The view of the Indian ocean is spectacular. We enjoyed classy cocktails in a comfy lounge bed out in the sunshine overlooking the skyline blending into the ocean.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Grove, Australia
“Like being on a Doctor Who set”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a delicious lunch at the restaurant at Bulgari with a view to die for. The journey there was very surreal - we got a little lost as the resort is in the middle of nowhere with little signage. Once we got through the two security checks and arrived at the stone monolith of a lobby I started to relax a little. Our car was taken away by a valet and we were transferred to a golf buggy that took us down windy, steep, rocky paths through the resort to the restaurant which overlooks the water. The resort looks gorgeous, tropical and is super quiet...the sort of placed you go if you don't want to see the outside world...and if you have the cash to splash. Our food was sublime. We choose traditional Indonesian style dishes. The staff were super friendly if not a little over attentive but it didn't help we were the only ones in the restaurant at the time! Highly recommend it as an experience out of the ordinary in a place like Bali. Make sure you take your credit card as you are paying Western prices plus for the experience.

Visited August 2013