“Cheap BUT you should pay a bit more for a better accommodation.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Guna Mandala Inn to your Saves list
Guna Mandala Inn
Jalan. Labuan Sait No. 73, Pecatu, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #33 of 39 Pecatu B&B and Inns
“Cheap BUT you should pay a bit more for a better accommodation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Was here for my first night at Uluwatu as the taxi driver just dropped me off by the stairs leading to Padang Padang beach.

I should have looked around more before checking into this place. It was cheap for 150,000 Rupiah but once I saw some other places afterwards they looked a lot better and only for 300,000 Rupiah with AC and hot water and a clean bed.

The staff are extremely friendly but the kitchen was another worry as I saw cats eating off the countertops.

Would only recommend if you were on an extremely tight budget.

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The closest accomodation to Padang padang beach, and the only place with wifi for less than 150 rupiah /night. All though, the internet goes up-and-down (online pokerplayers - beware!)
They offer motorbike rental, a pretty good breakfast/dinner restaurant, a friendly staff and obviously a really good location. Other than that, the staff wont do anything about your room unless you ask them too. No hot water in the showers, the water smells like old sewage and they seem to have some sort of bug problem.

Descent for a day or two, but If you are planning on staying in Uluwatu for a longer time, then I would recommend another accomodation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ericeira, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Good location, lazy staff,smelly rooms, all the beds are infested by wood bugs, the water from the showers smells like rotten ...a pity.., could be the best accommodation in Padang Padang beach, but right now is just a place to be when you can get anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Do not make a reservation through Agoda. The reception does not actually work with agoda/ trip advisor and will make you pay cash at the end of your stay regardless of whether or not you have your confirmation email. I would recommend calling the hotel prior to arrival to make sure there is space and simply pay cash upon arrive or departure. I also agree with other reviews and recommend getting a second story room (the first floor turns into a total broasis at 4:00 AM when all the bros come back from KutaKutaKuta). Nonetheless, people are very laid back and friendly (as they should be on a 2 year brobbatical), so if you want to join the party feel free! You can't get any closer to Padang Padang Beach and the temple is about a 5 minute drive (be sure to bargain with drivers to get a reasonable price). The restaurant is a slow, but inexpensive option for breakfast/lunch/dinner. I would try to stay somewhere else for quieter/ long term option, but it was fine for my short visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I booked this on my 4th trip to Bali for 2 reasons, 1 it's close to Padang Padang beach which is my favourite and it was close to where my friends were getting married which is why I was in Bali.

I arrived at 1.30 am after a late flight, I presented the print out of my booking confirmation (paid in full) booked through Agoda, they insisted I did NOT have a booking. I argued for over half an hour and repeatedly showed them the print out of my booking and they continued to argue with me... eventually they gave me a room and said we'd sort it in the morning. A different guy was on in the morning who again requested to see my booking confirmation. He said Agoda had failed to notify them of the booking. Consequently, I ended up with a fan only room rather than the aircon room which I had paid for...

As for location, it's amazing, directly across the road from Padang Padang beach, no other hotel is closer. There's also a mini mart at the hotel grounds which is good as there's not much around that area. The restuarant was good although I only had breakfast there each morning and was off for the rest of the day and night. The staff were friendly also.

As for the room, well it's what you would expect for $25 a night. There was no toilet paper or towels in the room, I asked for both, they handed me a roll of toilet paper but the towels never came. Which worked out ok since I spent all my time at my friends 5 star resort where the wedding was held and showered there instead... The room was basic, a small dresser and mirror, small wardrobe, double bed, ensuite and fan on the wall. It was VERY dirty... black foot prints all on the wall next to the bed, dirty marks around the light switches ect.

It was fine considering all I needed was a place to dump my gear and to crash, I was leaving every morning after breakfast and wasn't returning till after midnight and only slept there so it was fine for me. I couldn't want to be spending my days there though...

Basically, what do you expect for $20-odd dollars a night.... my only recommendation is BRING A PRINT OUT OF YOUR BOOKING!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Snowmass Village, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel/hostel offers a supreme location next to a beautiful Padang Padang beach. Cheap rates, friendly atmosphere, easy and cheap board and scooter rentals, laid back staff, cheap restaurant, no shoes required, great waves, and lots of Bintang make this place one of a kind!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

A tricky one to rate here.

I booked via Agoda.com and when I turned up the Manager denied I was booked in (I didn't have the Agoda Booking confirmation with me). I went off and returned 20 minutes later with the Agoda.com booking confirmation - "We don't deal with Agoda" said the Manager.

Then I found Guna Mandala was about 3kms from where it shows it is on the Agoda Map - the only reason I booked the joint was so I was a hundred metres or so from a wedding we were going to. So then we had to get transport as well.

Not such a great start.

They had an empty room so we negotiated a rate and I took that (I was traveling with my 20 yo daughter and 17 yo son).

Guna Mandala Inn is situated directly opposite Padang Padang beach and just down from a few restaurants on the road to Ulawutu beach (about 3 kms away).

Seemed to be a pretty popular spot with tons of surfers in the place.

All I need when traveling is a clean room with a half comfortable bed and a door that locks - Guna Mandala provides that and is good value for money.

The shower was a bit grotty and had a large manhole in the ceiling that wasn't covered.
It has a cafe attached (didn't try that). Get's quite noisy in the middle of night with people crashing back to their rooms.

When I checked out I paid cash.

Then, in a surprise to no-one, when I contacted Agoda to ask for a refund they said the Manager said I hadn't paid. A week later that was finally sorted. (Agoda said the place was new with them and they needed to educate the owner a little more).

The place was okay, cheap and gets the job done. But the stuffing around making sure you don't get ripped off makes it a waste of time.

Room Tip: Get scooter hire from Tete about 1 km up the road.