“Excellent view, great service, wonderful room. We will come back again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali

You added Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali to your Saves list
Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Pemutih - Labuan Sait | Impossible Beach, Uluwatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Anantara Bali Spa Essence
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Pecatu
Perth
“Excellent view, great service, wonderful room. We will come back again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had an ocean front suite. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The view was fantastic, and we could view the beautiful sunset of uluwantu right in our room. The resort is located at a secluded area of uluwantu but close to uluwantu temple and Pandan Beach. Many beautiful memories of the place. Will definitely come back to recharge and enjoy the sunset.

• Stayed September 2013
Stephan W, General Manager at Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Lawrence,
Hello from Anantara Uluwatu Resort and thank you very much for sharing your great experience at our Resort. We are very happy that you had a great time and enjoyed our service and those great sunsets! Do come back for more, your favorite room will be ready again, all yours!
Stephan & team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the breath taking Anantara Uluwatu Resort. We spent our honeymoon here in August 2012 and our 1-year anniversary September 2013. The staff was thoughtful enough to put us in the same glorious room which made our second visit extra special!

The staff was extremely hospitable and catered to every one of our last needs. I am gluten, ovo & lacto free which makes traveling difficult. However, Chef Kai was wonderful and made sure all my dinners were made with extra careful preparation and perfection.

The views are absolutely breath taking and the infinity pool is now my favorite pool out of all the five star resorts we've stayed in. My only complaint was when we were kept up way passed our bedtime due to a late night wedding party down at the Pool bar, but manager Mark made up for our lack of sleep with balinese massages at the wonderful spa. The spa was so blissful that is made me want to design our next house with some of the same features. I received one of the best massages of my life from the lovely Ani.

I would recommend this hotel to couples looking for some relaxation, beautiful views and wonderful service. We will be back for sure! Thank you Anantara

Room Tip: Any room with a view will be delightful!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ErickaAnntionette,
Hello from sunny Anantara Uluwatu and thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience! We are indeed very glad that you came back, and of course the same room was all yours, with its great sunset views. Thanks also for mentioning our service, the team and Pak Marc and Ibu Ani.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back any time soon and your sunset room will be ready once again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Anantara Uluwatu is a fabulous Resort and Spa, just a short 10-15 minute drive from the airport at Denpasar and set in the most amazing cliff top location.

We booked a very private suite with a spa bath and our own swimming pool the suite was magnificent, elegantly decorated as are all the hotel amenities – labradorite stone throughout the lobby – unsurpassed quality.

The food is amazing, great selection and excellent quality.
The staff are friendly and the service excellent.

We made the right choice going with Anantara this is one of our all time favourite places for rest and relaxation, one of the worlds finest resorts and locations with outstanding quality, service and luxury. This was a wonderful 10 day holiday for us a perfect choice and yes in order to give all the rooms a great view of Impossible Beach there are a lot of steps but we did not find this a problem.

We must say that we almost did not book as there were several negative comments on tripadvisor – however we called the general manager to discuss these and were reassured that we would not be disappointed – and he was right.

Room Tip: The Ocean front rooms are well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matahari52!
Hello from Anatara Uluwatu and thank you very much for sharing your comments and experiences. We are very happy to learn that you had a good time and really do hope that you will visit us again soon. Yes this very private special room of yours is waiting for you. Till soon!
Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My mom and I stayed at the Anantara Uluwatu for the second time from 2 - 4 September. It was a most unpleasant stay. I am appalled by the lack of professionalism at the reception. Check-in was slow and the staff went through some of the basic protocol they were required to run through with guests. When I told him this was our second time at Anantara Uluwatu and that we had been there before, he acknowledged and went on with all the info that he had to spill out to us.

When I requested for an extension of 3 hours from check out time, he told us there was a new regulation, that we had to pay Usd 95 + 21 % tax. We had our time extended the last time we were at Anantara. I don't even think they had full occupancy during the time we were !

When we were through the rather long and tedious checking procedure, the concierge was not available to take our bags to our room. The staff who checked us in personally dragged our bags into the elevator and showed us the room.

He went through some of the facilities in our room and was about to leave when I suddenly remembered from my last stay in May that the socket of my charger for my IPAD could not fit into the wall socket. I tried fitting the socket of my charger into the wall socket and again it did not fit. He went ahead to call for the technical staff who showed up 5 minutes later and addressed this for me.

After they left, I called housekeeping to ask for more bottles of the daily water they supplied in the room. Housekeeping said ok and then I got a call from a lady at guest services who told me that they only supplied 2 bottles of drinking water per day and she would only be able to give us an extra 2 bottles a day! Even after I told her that my body was detoxing and because of a health issue, I needed to drink lots of water, she said I had to pay 2,0000 plus rupiah + 21% tax each day for extra bottles of water! This upset me a great deal. We had stayed at Anantara Hotels twice before and this had never been an issue. Both time, we were given ample water for the day.
We've stayed at Anantara Seminyak before and they were very generous with the daily drinking water. We also had ample drinking water when we were at Anantara Uluwatu in May this year!

I am appalled by the lack of service and care in these two instances! We pay premium to stay and enjoy the service and facilities but we were handed sub-standard service which we can get from cheaper hotels! There is a lack of care and attention to in-house guest and I get the overall feeling that the management is not empowering their staff to care for customers!

When we were checking in the male staff who checked us in told us that there was a 30 percent discount on All spa services. Mom and I proceeded to book spa package for second day of our stay, however, when we got our bill, I was surprised that even though we had been informed there was a 30 percent discount, none was reflected on our bill. I queried the staff at guest services and they proceeded to check. We were then told after about 10 - 20 minutes that the spa package we took was already on promotion and that we could not get the 30 percent discount. The discount was meant for individual spa treatments!

The male staff proceeded to show me a clause in the Anantara Uluwatu website which stated that and which was in such fine print, I had missed it. The spa folder in our room did not have that clause!

So we proceeded to sign up for the spa thinking it was a good deal! I did the spa package the last time and paid the 900,000 rupiah + 21 percent tax at the last stay so I thought this was an even better price at a further discount of 30 percent! This is not about the money, but it is the total lack of care and attention in this situation which created this unpleasantness for us!

When we decided to leave at noon, our driver was waiting downstairs to pick us up, yet none of the guest services staff or concierge called to informed us that he had been waiting at the concierge booth below the hotel for us. It was way past noon when we were still going over the bill when I suddenly realized that our driver could be waiting below the hotel!

He later informed us that he was not allowed to go into the lobby area. He had informed the concierge twice and they said they would inform us but we did not receive any calls nor did we're we told that our driver was at the hotel and was waiting down below at the concierge station for us. I personally went down the stairs and looked for our driver Nd I saw this man sitting there and had to call out to him and when he looked up and acknowledged my call, I realized that no one had told us our driver was downstairs waiting! Mom and I could have been sitting for the longest time at the lobby waiting for him to show up!

I have stayed at the Anantara Seminyak before and it is night and day between the one at Seminyak and this one. Although the Seminyak establishment is older, the staff are very professional and take care of guests very well! We had aroma oils in our bathrooms and room at Seminyak. Over here at Uluwatu, I was appalled to see one of those pluck in wall units with artificial scent for our room!

Also, I dislike the shower heads for our room! It was diifficult to manage. You had to depress a button to activate the smaller shower head below and even after having depressed it long enough for water to come out of the second shower head, it would revert back to the bigger shower head and my hair got wet a few times as a result of this. Also, it took a whole for hot water to come through the shower. So when I pressed the button for the lower shower head and got it to run at the warm temperature desired, it would revert back to the bigger shower unit a few times. This not only got my hair wet but the water that came from the bigger shower head was cold!

I will not consider staying at Anantara Hotels in the future! This experience has left me with a bad impression and not only that, we paid premium price for substandard service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stephan W, General Manager at Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Lilibud88,

Greetings from Anantara Uluwatu!

First of all thank you for staying again with us, after your May visit, which is nice, meaning that you came back based on previous experiences, but at same time also sorry that on this occasion you had encountered experiences that made you dissatisfied, which we regret and very sorry about that.

I have spoken to my team and addressed all your points mentioned. With regards to Front Office, the matter of extending a late check-out is not only a function of the same day's occupancy, but also that of the room type we need for same day arrivals. Our Reception associate did certainly not mean to take away any time from you upon check-in and it is not our intention to 'spill' information onto our guests, I understand as well from our staff that we did look for a room on a higher floor which might have extend the whole process, sorry for the extra time it took.

You most definitely should have gotten as much extra bottled drinking water as you liked, for which we do not ask any extra charges. I will investigate this matter thoroughly as we have ample supply of water and there is no need at all to ask for money, but as said I will find out and make sure this would not happen again.

As for the spa promotion we do amend our offers from time to time and indeed a package or 'ritual' comes at a already packaged, meaning discounted, price. We will make sure any communication is more clear in the future.

The question of any outside third-party staff or service provider (eg mostly driver) being in the lobby is obviously important, but given the fact that the lobby and its ambiance (with its views, seating and check-in facilities) is a pure guest area, we do indeed ask drivers to wait by their vehicle. We will ensure proper communication and apologize if this led to any inconveniences!

We certainly wish that you and your Mom will continue to cherish Bali as a destination and hope that we do have a chance to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,
& team
Abu Dhabi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I am shocked , i called the room service at 12:30 am and it was closed !! Can you imagine a 5 stars resort has no room dining after 11 pm ? How could i get
My medicine late ? First time i heared a 5 stars hotel with no room dining and the funny thing that hotel manager gave me a soultion by having the mini bar bringles as a dinner hahaha what a shame ! Its my first and last time at this hotel . Dear all please check all facilities options before you book .

• Stayed September 2013
Stephan W, General Manager at Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Mr Alsaggaf,

greetings from Anantara Uluwatu Bali!

I have well noted your concerns, for your comment about our 'location', I think it is a question of your preferences, if you seek quietness and relaxation our location above the cliff and Impossible Beach, with its stunning ocean and sunset views, then we have the perfect location, if, however, you look for a more lively environment I trust that Kuta, Legian and/or Seminyak, where we also do have a splendid Anantara Property, will be more suitable, thus if I may say the question of the location is always subjective and we are certainly disappointed, as much as you are, that we could not meet your expectation on that aspect.

With regards to overnight room-service you are very right that a full-fledged food over will only be available within few weeks from now, implemented by our new German Chef and his crew. We do have a limited offer of few dishes only, however, but I can understand that these may not have been to your liking. Very sorry about that and please do accept my personal apologies. Improvments are coming!

On the other hand, thank you very much for your high marks for 'room' and 'cleanliness', we appreciate this and do hope that apart from the room service disappointment you will carry home good memories of Bali and Anantara Uluwatu,

Regards,
& team
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of four, 2 young children both under 4, on their website it says the kid's club is available only issue is no staff at the kid's club. We have to mind the children ourselves in the kid's club, but they did offer cooking classes with the chef as an alternative. They do claim a lot on there website but not all is what really is available. Best part is location and the staff are great.

Dear Dangabood,
Greetings from Anantara Uluwatu Bali and thank your for sharing your experience. We have noted your remarks about our Kidsclub and are revising the set-up. Indeed we have some tailor-made kids activities, but those are more suitable for bit older kids, no really for young children. Please accept our apologies for that! Thanks for your good marks on cleanliness, location and our rooms! With our villas now ready we have also done new photography about the resort and will use the opportunity to revisit our website in order to update the audience about our resort. Best regards from all of us here at Uluwatu!
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I reserved this as part of the last leg of my first trip to Bali and was so utterly disappointed with the entire experience that I am writing my first review on TripAdvisor. The hotel remodeling is not complete, and is evident from simply looking at the building facade. The view from my shower was an exposed and under construction exterior ceiling.

The amenities in the room do not work properly (e.g., non-functioning hair dryer, no safe box and malfunctioning hotel phone that only worked on speaker.

The staff, while seemingly well-intentioned was inexperienced and service was slow and poor. It took over 3 hours to bring our "complimentary fruit bowl" that was supposed to have been in our room upon arrival.

I would not recommend this hotel as there are many other quality 2 or 3 star hotels that cost much less. If the hotel management wanted to ease into a full opening, they should have noted that from the beginning, and the hotel cost should reflect that. Walking around the building property was creepy and felt like an abandoned property rather than a newly remodeled hotel.

The entire experience has ruined my impression of the Anantara hotels, and I would not go back if paid to stay there.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet stay in Bali, I recommend the nearby Ayana, which we stayed at the night before...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephan W, General Manager at Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear ariah1234,
greetings from Anantara Uluwatu, it is with regret that I read about your experience at our resort, we as a team are very sorry not to have met your expectations on this occasion, we are constantly working on giving the best touches to the resort and currently the last of seven Ocean Front Villas is being finished within very short time, let me assure you that we will take your points mentioned, including training and service, to heart and thank you for your feed-back.
Yours sincerely,
Stephan Winkler

Been to Anantara Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa Bali? Share your experiences!