“Great for selfies (you and everyone else will do it), could use a bit of improvement in management, ok value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Uluwatu

You added Alila Villas Uluwatu to your Saves list
Alila Villas Uluwatu
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Belimbing Sari Banjar Tambiyak Desa Pecatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Pecatu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I recently spent 2 nights at Alila, and then 2 nights at a comparable resort both in Uluwatu. Alila, compared to what I've seen in other hotels within this high price range, is kept very well--especially considering the fast deterioration rates these hotels seem to have in the Bali climate. The staff overall are also very attentive and friendly. It's a large resort and the hotel tries to keep you there--this is the kind of place you check into to not see the rest of the island.

The hotel is designed beautifully and there are a wealth of pictures online for someone to see what it actually looks like. The pros are that it's a high-end resort, with lots of service, bells and whistles. However, I do agree with some of the reviews here that there is still room for improvement in terms of training staff to the standards that Western tourists expect from this high grade of hotel. For example, the waiters are nervous, so nervous that they spill food or water on you pretty often. Also they seem a bit lost and could use some more direction. We spent a lot of time waiting for someone to ask someone else to see if they could answer our questions.

I also agree with previous reviewers that if you're looking for a super private villa experience, this is not it. The "villas" are close to each other and you can hear your neighbors. We did not experience the open sight lines that another reviewer wrote about, but people walking below us (to enter their own villas) definitely could look up into our patio areas if we were standing up. We also can hear everything on both sides, especially if the rooms are opened up--yes, everything.

I actually did not see the beach at all while I was there--it was my fault, I couldn't be bothered to walk the 700 odd steps down the cliff. But no matter, when you're idling in the infinity pool or in your own private pool looking out to the sea and snapping photographs of you in hotel straight out of a fancy magazine you quickly forget that.

I think it's hard to spend more than a few nights here--it is isolated and you need a driver to get anywhere outside of the immediate area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
AlilaHotels, General Manager at Alila Villas Uluwatu, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Snorkeleyes,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your Alila Villas Uluwatu experience and I am glad to read that you enjoyed the service of our attentive and friendly team members as well as the upkeep of the resort.

The team and I were sorry to learn that we did not always meet your expectation when it comes to service in the restaurants. Rest assured that this does not reflect our usual high standard of service. We will review this further in detail with individual members of our team and with our ongoing in-house training we trust we will iron this out within a short period of time.

We hope to welcome you back to Alila Villas Uluwatu sometime in the future in order to show you the improvements in first person and feel free to contact me directly in case you wish for me personally to make your arrangements,

With best regards from Uluwatu,
Marco Groten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I travel quite a fair bit and stay at many luxury hotels/resorts. For me to rate this as one of the best I've ever been to, is to say a lot!

My experience even before arriving at the hotel was already fantastic. I had booked an airport transfer, but decided to arrive one day earlier because I was intending to try the Bulgari hotel. Upon checking with Alila, they were happy to still pick me up from the airport and send me to Bulgari, even offering to pick me up from the hotel the next day to head to Alila! I was already extremely impressed and little did I realise arriving at the hotel was going to impress me much more.

The hotel is brilliantly designed with a simple, luxurious, and elegant theme. The views were superb. There was no way you could not get a good picture of the place and of the view from the cliff. The room was magnificent and spacious, and there's a private buggy service to take you anywhere within the resort. We loved that Alila has its own line of beauty and spa products which they had many of which that were complimentary in the room, and the spa was hands down one of the most well-designed and comfortable that we have had the chance to attend.

There are 2 restaurants in the resort, one for casual dining and the other for more formal dining. Both were magnificent. There was a large range of food choices available and were simply delicious. Stay at the bar or in one of the cavanas for sunset, as they have a live band playing modern english acoustic songs. It made for one of the most romantic and brilliant moments in all our travels.

Service-wise, the hotel is also fantastic. They cater to your every need, doing it with pleasure. We loved all the staff who helped us make our stay an unforgettable one.

The price is naturally high, but for what you get, it's absolutely worth it. Take a look at the pictures I've attached.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stay here for 2 nights and overall the stay here is awsome. The hotel is far from croud and the environment is very calm. Great place for relax and enjoy the scene of ocean. For me the food is damn good and the problem is they dont have body wieght measurement, so you can control your appatite. The staff overall serve me very well and address me with my name, you will feel like they knew you from the beginning. The GM himself will greet you when you arrive. So i'm happy to stay here and will consider stay here again on my next trip to Bali.

Room Tip: Request for the villa nearest to the lobby for easy access, so dont have to ride buggy
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I spent 2 nights in one of the villas of Alila Uluwatu in June 2014 as the last stop of our honeymoon. We were expecting to be blown away. We were, by the design, but not by the service.
The overall design of the place is quite stunning. The common infinity pool is beautiful and the villas are very nicely appointed.

However, we were less than impressed by four things, mainly :
- privacy : even though we had one of the villas that were located at the top of the resort and hence were more secluded than the others, there was not much privacy, whether inside or in the pool area. Since the villas are located on a hill side, people passing "below" your villa (i.e. going into theirs) can see you in or around your pool. Worse : if you want to have a shower or a bath inside your villa, you need to close the blinds so people don't see you naked. For that price and for a "private" villa, you'd expect another level of privacy.
- location : the resort is far away from everything, which, I admit, is one of its draws. But don't expect to eat anywhere other than at the two restaurants on the premises if you don't want to take a car/taxi/bike. Nothing else is within walking distance. Granted, the food there is good, but after a while the choice becomes quite limited.
- airport transfer : we visited four other hotels on Bali during our honeymoon, and browsed countless others online before setting our choices, and Alila Uluwatu is the only one that doesn't offer complimentary airport transfer! They charge you 42 USD for a one way transfer! And if you expect a luxury car for that price, think again, it's just a regular car like all the other hotels use.
- finally, what happened to us on the last day : we had written postcards to send to our friends and family but hadn't had time to drop them in a mailbox. We were also missing stamps for one card. We asked at the reception, upon checkout if they could mail them for us, which they accepted. They asked us to pay for the missing stamp, which is understandable. What is not OK though, is that they charged us extra for the stamps : the stamps cost 10,000 IDR for international mail, and they asked us for an extra 5,000 IDR. Granted, it's less than 50c, but still, in a hotel of this standard, you wouldn't expect to have to pay extra just so they could mail postcards for you... All of this was done under the supervision of one of the managers, no less.
Anyway, after leaving the postcards with them and thinking that since they made us pay extra, everything was going to be fine, we found out when we came back home that nobody has received any card, none. It's been two months, so we can assume that they will never arrive and that the hotel has probably never sent them.... It might seem like a detail, but it leaves us with a terrible last impression of the resort, especially given the price of the villas...
And the icing on the cake is this : I emailed the hotel about the "postcard incident", again, thinking that given the standard of the resort, I'll get some sort of reply or even an apology. But no, nothing. It's been three weeks and still no reply...

All in all, what started as a pleasant experience finished as an unpleasant one.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the "higher" villas, they are more secluded
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AlilaHotels, General Manager at Alila Villas Uluwatu, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear AlexXV,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Alila Villas Uluwatu and I completely understand that the postcard incident has marred your experience.

I have followed up with the team and I have to admit that the way they handled the purchase of the additional stamps does not reflect our usual high standards. We fully understand your disappointment that the cards still have not arrived and we are currently following up with the post office to see if we can find out more details.

Our policy is to reply to emails within 24 hours and after checking with the team, I am afraid that I have to conclude that nobody of our team members has received your follow up email to us.

Please be encouraged to forward your email directly to me at mgroten@alilahotels.com so I can look into matters personally and get back to you with an appropriate solution.

On behalf of the team I would like to offer you our sincere apologies and rest assured that you will receive a response on your email within 24 hours.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime in the future in order to regain your confidence in Alila.

Best regards,
Marco Groten
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The only problem with staying at a 3 bedroom villa here is that you would be hard pressed to find a nicer hotel elsewhere.
It comes with a big price tag but you get a lot in return.

The hill-top 3 bedroom villa is huge.
It come with a separate living room, a 25m pool, and a private massage room.
Each bedroom and the length of the pool faces the sea.
There is unlimited complimentary soft drinks, mineral water, beer and fruit juices.

It is served by 2 butlers who will spoil you.
You check in and out of the villa direct and you don't have to leave it. If you need anything like room service or to book a restaurant, you just need to tell the butler.
The butler will fecth you anywhere in the hotel in a buggy.
The service offered by the butlers was very good.

The villas here have a modern tropical design.
The only drawback is that there are many blinds that you have to pull mechanically.

The main hotel area has a stunning cabana and part of it is hanging in the air. There is an Indonesian restaurant and a French restaurant. We preferred the Indonsian food.

Room Tip: H15 is at the side of the resort. It is secluded in that there are no villas in front of it. It is j...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This is an excellent property for a relaxing and private stay. Alila Villas is beautifully designed in a cool modern style. It is very much open to the elements, with an emphasis on water, sculptural architecture and modern style. It has a fabulous communal pool in the main resort area - which we never used - two lovely restaurants, and is teeming with helpful staff.
As a party of six, we had two villas. We had a one bedroom pool villa in the 300s - towards the top of the resort, and the three bedroom villa (24) at the very top of the resort. This is an extraordinary property, complete with two butlers, a 25m pool and it's own security. Perfect if you want to get away and not be tracked down by the paparazzi. The rooms are well appointed. Linen is high quality and crisp and the bathrooms are very well stocked with Alilas own brand lotions and potions. We also had a variety of sprays and mists - after sun, mozzie repellent, sleep mist etc provided, plus of course lots of bottled water and free wifi. If I had a criticism of the rooms it would be that there are relatively few drawers into which to put your clothes - could do with a few more. The sculptural white shelving in villa 24 tended to shed white paint dust on things. And the roller blinds that are drawn at night to keep the light out of the mostly glass walls are struggling to stay the pace ... They bang and clink at night with the wind (and as the highest point in the entire property, villa 24 does get the wind) and they are not rolling up very well anymore. I sympathise - with a lot of glass it is hard to find a solution to how to get the room dark .... But the blinds are struggling. Our two butlers were faultlessly polite and helpful and always there when needed. Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice although it is off a menu vs a buffet, there was a great selection and you are positively encouraged to have lots of small dishes. Evening melts are taken in one of the two restaurants. We tried both - they were good, especially Warung, the Balinese / Indonesian restaurant. As ever in Bali, wines are expensive but the cocktails and beers were reasonable and fun. In the two days we were there, there were two wedding parties, both being mariried at sunset in the cantilevered pavilion. Very petty, and to the hotels credit, they kept this away from the other guests, so it didn't feel as though we were uninvited guests at a private party. It's clearly a lovely venue to get married. All in all, this place is beautiful, friendly, private and well organised. Effortlessly lovely and thoroughly recommended. We are off to spend a week on their sister private yacht and hope it is of the same high standard.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up the cliff seem to be the nicest Villa 24 at the top is of course wonderful, along i...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at Alila for 3 nights over our summer holiday in Bali.
The resort itself is super exclusive and relaxing, sometimes resembling more a rehab than a holiday destination.
Beautiful setting, amazing people working there, ready to fulfill any kind of request.
The rooms are spectacular, amazingly clean, they also have the whole range of complimentary bath product which is self produced, 100% organic.
The spa is fantastic, I suggest the signature massage, expensive but worth it.
The whole Alila experience is a must and the cabanas at night are something to die for.
Beautiful and perfect.
It's the place to go in Bali.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Alila Villas Uluwatu? Share your experiences!