“Quiet respite amid a lush savannah and stunning Indian Ocean views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Uluwatu

You added Alila Villas Uluwatu to your Saves list
Alila Villas Uluwatu
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Belimbing Sari Banjar Tambiyak Desa Pecatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pecatu
Singapore, Singapore
“Quiet respite amid a lush savannah and stunning Indian Ocean views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in room 209 from 22 July 2014 till 27 July 2014. Our villa was located on the second of four levels of villas built into the "bukit" or hill. The ocean can be seen at a distance from this level (see pictures) and I would recommend this level, as although higher levels reputedly offer 180 degree views of the ocean, the villas on the 4th level are rather far and you need a buggy for transport. The 2nd level is within walking distance from the main hotel area but yet provides sufficient seclusion. I love the architecture of this resort- its dark wood cabannas integrate very well with the lush surrounding savannah. The monkeys from the forest visit early in the morning and late in the day foraging for food or remnants from your fruit bowl, so beware if you intend to keep your doors open for an easy flow of wind, common during this time of year in Bali (I think it's their "winter" during July and August with average day time temperatures at about 27degrees celsius). The living room and a big sofa open directly into the plunge pool as does the step in bath tub, which is divine! The staff are easily one of the most well trained and are fast and very responsive. The general manager is always at the lobby and takes pains to engage meet and greet his guests and find out how their day was. We took an evening trip arranged by the hotel to the nearby Uluwatu Sea Temple Pura Luhur and he remembered to ask us the next day how the experience was. The hotel staff also pre-warned us not to wear our sunglasses or necklaces or hats to the pura luhur temple as the resident monkeys have a habit of snatching and running off with personal belongings. Food at both restaurants Cire (Western cuisine) and the Warung (Indonesian food) were nothing short of excellent. In fact we ate most meals at these 2 restaurants. Breakfast at the Cire is a la carte ( but you can order as much as you like) which is preferable to a buffet. The Breakfast menu is varied daily. If you want to have dinner in the Cabannas on the cliffs to savour a beautiful Balinese sunset then do book beforehand to avoid disappointment. The pool boys are great if you feel like lounging by the main infinity pool which seems to seamlessly blend with the sky and the ocean and will come running with a picnic basket of water and other essentials. The gym is open 24 hours and is well equipped with towels and bottles of mineral water. While some may complain that there is little to do or see at Uluwatu, I would beg to differ - transport even by public taxi is not a problem in Bali and the resort is only about 20 minutes from the Jimbaran bay seafood restaurants and the airport. The only complaint I have is that our bath tub couldn't drain and this is a problem the staff looked into every evening while we were out. They offered a change of room but we declined as we had already settled in and the staff took good care of the matter. The beach is down a steep climb through the forest so I would recommend alerting staff (for an escort to bring you down) and bringing necessities such as water, insect repellant and sunblock. The sea is too rough to swim in and virtually deserted. I would definitely return to this resort if I have the opportunity to.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Fort lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Bali was the last stop for us and Alila Villas did not dissapoint. I've imagined a thousand time, how I would feel once I step foot in the hotel, but the actual experience was just unreal. Such an amazing scenery, Definetly exceeded our expectation.
Service was good, especially the ladies during breakfast at the Cire restaurant. We took a couples massage at the spa which was very relaxing.
Our Villa was very spacious, and comfortable... we made great use of the day bed by the pool. The his and hers toiletries were a great touch as well. We use the tablet provided to order in room dinning several time, and we loved the quick response and effectiveness of it
We had a good experience overall.;

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Me and my Husband stayed here for one night on Honeymoon after being offered a free upgrade for our last night by Alila Ubud...we were 100% over the moon with this place. We have never stayed anywhere like it. The journey to the hotel was down a windy road and we wondered where it could be taking us. Stepping out of the car you could just see crisp white lines and modern furniture dotted around, then an elegant entrance room with pathways of water and am infinity pool. It was 3.30pm
When we arrived and were offered cold towels and a spritz of lovely smelling mist for your face. We were asked what type of service we would like, normal, completely left alone or private butler. We opted for normal. Our cases and ourselves were driven in a buggy up to the 2nd level. When we walked into out villa we were lost for words. It was huge with facilities we have never experienced before. It's own infinity pool, 2 sunbeds, and outdoor lounging area with covered canopy. Separate mr and mrs sings and changing areas. 2 showers one in door and one out. A huge bath, a coffee machine, flat screen and sound bar, it even had its own tablet that played music, have you all the hotel info on. You could even order room service from it. (Though ours wasn't set up to do this) we just called instead. We ordered crudités and garlicw bread and munched on these in the sun under the canopy. Dinner that evening was complimentary...and the food was unreal. Very tasty and good service. As we were only here for one night we didn't get to use many facilities such as the pool. Should we win the lotto, we'd love to stay here again and really make the most of it. Thanks Alila Villas and Alila Ubud.

• Stayed July 2014
Tabanan, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The villa is huge and can easily accommodate 4 people. It is nicely designed and from my villa I can see a glimpse of the ocean.
Some finishing on the villa started to wear off, stains on the floor, etc.

Service was prompt and attentive. I stayed at the very top villa and buggy ride can be summoned in second and ready to transfer me quickly to the main area.

I took the yoga class in the morning and it was more like a private session in a breezy pavilion surrounded by garden and water pond. The class is suitable for a first timer like me and I eventually took a regular yoga class afterward.

Breakfast was a hit and miss. Yes you can order everything from the menu but some dishes were not that great. The martabak manis was very pedestrian.

Dinner at Cirè was great. Very nice gazpacho and banana desert.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and a tranquil escape from the hustling and bustling of city life.

Stayed May 2014
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and two daughters had a very pleasant and comfortable stay in this beautiful villa. We stayed on the 28th July'14 and 3rd August'14 and on both nights, we were upgraded to the beautiful room. the staff were friendly and helpful. Will recommend this place.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We only came for lunch as Alila Villas had been one of those places I had always wanted to visit, mainly for the architecture, and I was not disappointed. The setting is absolutely stunning and our lunch was memorable. The restaurant is beautifully situated overlooking the stylish bale and garden and beyond to the blue ocean.
The staff were charming and attentive and our food was delicious. They were happy for us to wander and admire the landscaping and architecture. At last I can say I have visited this wonderful place.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Photographs look so great I was set on staying here. I came to check it out and have lunch and so glad I didn't book it online. Like so many recent hotels it's all about latest design scream which is fine but design shouldn't be confused with luxury.

Granted Uluwatu views are always striking and design looks very sleek and fresh. However being there was like being on top of frying pan without any trees or shade to find respite from. How long can one be at the pool under full-on Balinese sun? No A/C in the restaurant? The food was good but it was hard to concentrate on it whilst dripping with sweat. It was just too desolate and austere. Being on the cliff there is not much space to begin with and they get overrun with wedding ceremonies on top of it. Service at lunch was mediocre, slow and sort of lazy. And together with us there were only 2 other tables taken.

I prefer Bulgari so much more, not least for amazingly beautiful gardens.

Stayed November 2013
AlilaHotels, General Manager at Alila Villas Uluwatu, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Ms Papercut,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback on your lunch visit to Alila Villas Uluwatu in November last year.

We are sorry to learn that you felt that it was too hot in our restaurants. Usually the breeze on this side of the island helps out, however we do have an air-conditioned section in our Cire restaurant for guests should they prefer an indoor space.

Moreover, please accept my sincere apologies for your experience pertaining to service during lunch. Please do contact me at mgroten@alilahotels.com in order for us to gain more specific information that will assist with our overall improvement moving forward.

Please allow me to reassure you that your experience is in no way indicative of our normally high standards implemented at the property.

For the future, and when you next decide to visit Bali please be encouraged to contact me so I can personally make arrangements and ensure that you get a cool space in one of our restaurants

Once again, thank you for conveying your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alila Villas Uluwatu.

Kind regards,
Marco Groten

Been to Alila Villas Uluwatu? Share your experiences!