“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Uluwatu

You added Alila Villas Uluwatu to your Saves list
Alila Villas Uluwatu
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Belimbing Sari Banjar Tambiyak Desa Pecatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pecatu
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Alila Uluwatu was our first stop during our honeymoon in Bali. And what a place! Absolute luxury.

Service: One thing that sets the Alila apart is the outstanding service. The staff is unbelievably friendly and always there with a smile. We ordered breakfast in the villa each day and every morning the team would set up an amazing spread in our pool cabana. Even though the resort was completely full during our stay, we always felt like there were more staff then guests. At every turn there was someone to greet us and make sure we had everything we needed. The check-in process was super easy. No computer or front-desk…just sit down and enjoy the view of the Indian Ocean while the staff identifies your reservation and whisks your luggage away. A no stress process that starts the stay off right.

The Villa: We stayed in a 1-br pool on the 4th level (great views of the ocean). The villa was spacious, modern, and comfortable. We loved opening all of the walls to get a nice cross-breeze going. The outdoor shower with the rain showerhead was outstanding. I think the main pool was never crowded because guests have a hard time leaving the comfort of the villa!

The Pool: The main pool was stunning – one of the nicest we have ever seen. Sitting in the infinity pool and staring out at the Indian Ocean is a memorable experience. When you show up, the staff immediately brings over towels, cold water, cooling mist, sunscreen, and adjusts the umbrella however you want it. As mentioned above, the resort was full during our stay, but the main pool was never crowded. Some days it felt like we were the only ones there. Truly relaxing.

Food: Dinner at the Alila restaurants (Warung, Cire) was OK. We stayed at three different resorts during our stay in Bali, and probably liked the restaurants at the other resorts better. If we could do it again, we would have given up one of our dinners at Alila and taken a car to Jimbaran for seafood on the beach. That said, breakfast at Alila was amazing. An absolutely huge spread of eggs, pastries, meats, cheeses, you name it. That said, it is pricey - $30 USD PER PERSON. Luckily our travel agent had negotiated breakfast to be included with our package; otherwise this would have been an annoying charge.

To do: We enjoyed the morning yoga. Alila offers a free 1-hr session every morning, and the outdoor studio is an amazing setting. We also did a day-trip to Balangan Beach, a secluded surfer beach a short drive from Alila. Definitely recommend if you want to get out for the day (though it is hard to tear yourself away from the main pool). Also, it's worth checking out the Uluwatu temple and the Kecak dance; but get there early as seating fills up.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th level have the best views - don't worry about the walk, staff is always availab...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been wanting to stay at Alila Villas Uluwaatu for a long time and I finally went to stay there. I have also stayed in Alila Manggis and Alila Ubud before. Although there is a level of quality in all the Alila hotels, Alila Uluwatu is definitely more spacious and architecturally it is inspiring. I spent four nights there and found there there was quite enough to keep me occupied. Visiting the beach, swimming in the infinity pool, having massages in the spa treatment. Although the hotel pricing is on the high end, what you get is a hotel that is a destination in itself. It is nice to bring a book and just chill in different parts of the beautiful grounds. Both of the restaurants are good, but I was drawn more to the Warung serving traditional Indonesian food more than the western restaurant. The rooms were large and luxurious and very well maintained. As a coffee addict, the espresso machine with Illy pods was definitely a plus point for me.

All I can say is that this is really the place to escape to when one is world weary.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have recently come back last month from six nights at Alila Villas at Ulluwatu where I had the most incredible experience. I went with my sister as she’s been there four times before and has always said it’s her favourite resort. Now I understand why. Incredible villas, so luxurious and spacious, amazing food at both restaurants, Warung and Cire.( If you go to Cire you must have the chocolate fondant dessert!! ) The spa, views, resort design…all amazing ,but I think the thing that makes you feel like a VIP there is the astonishing attention to detail by the staff. So friendly, so discreet, and so thorough! We had a Butler called Rini who knew what we wanted even before we did! We also had a dinner in the Cire Private Dining Room with some friends who were in Bali at the same time, tho not staying at Alila. 2 of them have already booked there for a coming trip, just based on that dinner. If you want understated luxury, privacy and bespoke attention, Alila at Uluwatu is a must try.

Room Tip: I really don't think there is a room that isnt good!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this resort in June 2013. This resort is beautiful and very nicely set up, and the staff provide truly excellent service.

Upon arrival we were greeted with warm smiles and were given a short orientation session by Nickey. She informed us about the hotel facilities etc - the main area of the hotel has a pool overlooking the ocean, a spa centre, two restaurants (western and balinese), gym room and library/business centre. There are also a few "cabanas" that are set up and can be booked for private dinners etc.

Our villa was magnificent - we were lucky enough to get an upgrade to the 3 room villa which had a 25m lap pool which was also overlooking the ocean. The rooms were very comfortable, with ample space. We were also provided a butler for our stay, Martha. He did his job amazingly well - he was always cheerful,thoughtful and helpful yet respected our privacy. Whenever we needed a buggy ride to the main area of the hotel, our butler would be the one providing the lift and conversations.

As for the main area of the hotel, both restaurants provide great food and wait staff there are excellent at their job. We had a dinner in one of the cabanas and the staff were thoughtful enough to set up candles and flower petals because they knew that it was our anniversary trip. We did not get to try the pool, because we were happy using the pool in our villa.

The property is up in the hills so expect to see some wildlife - monkeys, frogs and geckos are not an uncommon sight however they are by no means a problem. Mosquitos are obviously also present however they are not an overwhelming problem.

To summarise, we had a great experience in Alila and are so impressed with the level of service provided. It is the best service we have experienced out of all the hotels we've been to. The staff seem genuinely happy and it provides a great feel for the resort. This resort was perfect for a relaxing holiday. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I, having been to Bali on multiple occasions, unashamedly went on a resort holiday this time round (i.e. lazy tourists who chose not to venture out). We tried three different resorts, each amazing and each very different. Alila Uluwatu was our last destination - and it was as exactly as one would expect. Despite being a large hotel, it felt very private. Everything was immaculate - our butler was charming, the GM Sean was interactive (and available directly on the phone if needed!!!), Nicky was the hostess with the mostest, and the staff were incredibly friendly and knew our names! We spent most of our time in the villa but the main hotel is gorgeous with sweeping views over the Indian Ocean. Food was AMAAAZING!!! - thank you Stefan for the best steak ever - and breakfast each day is varied and delightful. As the service is so personal, they go out their way for anything.... Best thing? We were granted a late checkout which always seems to add an extra day to your holiday.
One tiny mention - I'm not sure if its me, their product, the water or the constant swimming, but my hair took a beating. If you're particular about shampoos and conditioners, you may want to bring your own as I found theirs didn't have enough of a moisturising effect.
Thanks to the team for wrapping up a self indulgent holiday in the perfect manner - you can't go wrong choosing this hotel (and I am spoilt in that we try out a lot of 5* and we are not easily pleased!). Be warned though, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to go to another hotel without a personal butler - they just bring such a sense of luxury and that added touch that makes it all the more special ;-)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Amazing uluwatu, a fabulous property comprised totally of villas. A truly exotic experience with personal bulter service that rivals some of the great hotels in the world. The staff are amazing and anyone wnating to stay somewhere to relax and be pampered this is the place for you. Costs are high so please be aware this is not you cheap Balinese property. Its all class and frequented by celebrities.

Room Tip: Discrete butler serivce is perfect.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 10 nights in Bali, the final 3 of which we spent at Alila Uluwatu - the most amazing three nights of the whole holiday.

This was a special get away for us and I would recommend Alila to anyway - we will definitely be back. The villas are worth every cent we spent, the service is outstanding and we felt like we were in our own private sanctuary.

On arrival

You are asked to select which level of service you prefer - indulgent (your own butler), private (they only come into your villa if you ask for something - best of honeymooners), and the standard service which we selected. You can always call them for anything else you need.

The Villas

I would say that all the villas in the resort are gorgeous, we stayed in Villa 401, which is on the top level. Although it was recommended to us that the top level has the best views, I would think that villas on the other side of the resort (408, 407 etc) would have better views. We were however right in the corner, which was very private, as well as having monkey in the trees right next to us, which was very special.

The villas are spectacular, gorgeous pool, great sunbeds, huge bed, wonderful bathroom. One of the best showers and a great bath, also has an outdoor shower which we never used. The products in the room are the same as their spa and I was very impressed - you receive sunscreen, suntan oil, bug spray (although it spells nice, it doesn't work - bring your own), bubble bath, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner... and you get one for him and one for her of everything! Huge towels to use by the pool, water is provided and you can always ask for more of anything.

Overall - the accommodation here is probably our favourite out of all the holidays we have been on so far, including our honeymoon in the Maldives. The only downside is there is no real beach - you can take the 600 steps to the beach, but this isn't ideal.

The Pool

Amazing infinity pool, again probably the best views in Bali and our favourite from all our holidays so far. There is however a limited number of sunbeds by the pool and it does get busy especially over the weekend - so get in early! You receive a basket with water, sunscreen, suntan oil etc and the butlers will assist you with anything you need. Great experience, gorgeous photos (make sure you ask the butlers to take photos of you at the edge of the infinity pool) and a very relaxing day overall.

The Breakfast

The breakfast here is wonderful again - there is a new menu each day and well worth coming down to the CIre restaurant instead of having the standard menu in the room. You can order as much as you like - portions are small. Smoothies and juices are outstanding. A typical breakfast can include fruit, granola, baked eggs, cured meats, waffles, potato rosti, fantastic bread selection, indonesian selection, plus more.

The restaurants

Except for breakfast we did not eat at Cire, but we did have lunch and dinner at Warung - both times a great experience. Excellent cocktails, we had one set menu between the two of us to share and this was more than enough, so overall the price wasn't too bad. Really enjoyed the food and the service was very good too.

The spa

We really enjoyed our Balinise massages - would great recommend them. I also had my nails done - the gel nail treatment wasn't quite as good as the one I receive in Melbourne, but I find that's standard at hotels.

Facilities

There is also a gym (which we never used) and a library. Free wifi is great too and this can be used anywhere in the hotel with no password. The bathroom and shower next to the pool are lovely also, overall the resort has everything you need without going over the top.

Who was there

Mostly honeymooners or wedding parties. It seems a very popular destinatior for other Asian countries, but we also heard Americans, Europeans (from the UK and France) and a number of Australians.

A couple of other notes

We did not sleep very well due to the noise outside, in particular what we thought were the frogs. If you are used to quiet when you sleep, you may want to think about ear plugs. But to be fair it's well worth the view and everything else.

You should wake up early as the pool gets busy. Also there is a yoga class at 9am which we never participated in, but looked like a great idea.

The service can at times be a little over the top, but I found this overall in nice resorts in Bali - I am not used to being greeted every single time I walk past one of the staff; or asked many times over whether I need any assistance. However I would rather this, than someone ignoring me of course!

The hotel car service is very expensive, so we ordered taxis. Eg. a car to Bulgari resort whichis 10 min away would have cost us $15 one way in the car; but was about $5 in the taxi. Same again when we went to the Ayana Rock bar.

It is very quiet and quite far from Seminyak, so it does take time to get around to restaurants etc. We stayed in Seminyak first for 6 nights, so this was perfect for us.

Overall

What can I say - we had such a great time at Alila, thank you to all the staff who made this such a special experience. We felt like we were on our second honeymoon and we would gladly return here one day. Well worth it and if you really want a special get away, this is it! Bali 5 star plus...

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the top level - Level 4. And it seems like rooms 408 and 407 have the best...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alila Villas Uluwatu? Share your experiences!