“Book it now!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Uluwatu

You added Alila Villas Uluwatu to your Saves list
Alila Villas Uluwatu
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Belimbing Sari Banjar Tambiyak Desa Pecatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pecatu
London, United Kingdom
“Book it now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel looks fantastic in the photos on the web, I was a little concerned that it might be an aesthetic masterpiece that doesn't work in reality, my fears, however, were unfounded, this hotel is superb.

We were staying in Seminyak (I wouldn't bother, see my review on hotel Sense there), then decided at breakfast that we had had enough of it there, so I emailed Alila in Uluwatu and they had a room, I then requested they send a car to picked us up, this they did and arrived within an hour and a half of my request 5 minutes before there estimated time of arrival. The car was fine, a toyota SUV, it had an ipod in the back with a cable to there car stereo for us to choose our music and the driver was very pleasant. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by around 10 staff, to collect the luggage and check us in, with cold hand towels and cooling face spays, water etc and take us to our room in a golf buggy, this process was seamless.

The hotel is so well designed it is unbelievable, the hotel has a soul and it is a calm one, when walking though the hotel your route is managed very well by the design to give new vistas at every turn, it is absolutely beautiful.

The room is large, not quite as large at the size suggests on the web as that includes outdoor space and the private pool, but still large and feels natural, everything is where it should be and it seems to have a good energy about it, we were on the fourth row, the view was spectacular, as was the ability to open all the doors and widow to take the room outside. There is an espresso machine and ipod dock with an ipod in case you haven't brought one. The sound system is pleasant. I didn't turn the TV on. The room is full of body products which are all natural, these are absolutely lovely, the smell and the feel, and of course no nasty SLS's or Parabens! (except the shampoos which do have SLS) Which normally stops me using hotel products.

We only ate in the Indonesian restaurant, but we ate there 3 times, and every time is was great. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and typically Balinese.

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, sorry I cannot tell you about the surrounding area as I didn't leave the hotel!!!

One thing to note, the hotel seems to play down the fact that it has a beach, and discourages swimming at the beach due to rocks in the water, therefore I only visited the beach just before leaving – WOW – if you are reasonably fit, you must go there, it is so beautiful down there, yes there are around 600 steps down, but for us that was fun and a gentle workout, the steps are also mainly in shade, it took us 6 minutes to go down and 7 to come back up, the hotel advises it takes 15 to go down and 25 to come back up. I'm hoping I'll include pictures of the beach (sometimes I struggle to add photos on TA). I do not need to include pictures of the hotel as the pictures on the website are perfectly accurate (unusual for a hotel I know:)).

Appologies for the length of this review, I suppose I could've just written- Go there, you'll love it!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had the most amazing stay at the Alila Villas. The rooms were amazing. There is plenty to do there, (gym, spa, library, shop, complimentary yoga classes) and the hospitality is amazing. Everywhere you went through the resort, people knew your name and would say hello and ask how you were. The staff were so kind and made your comfort their personal interest. Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife & I lapped up the luxury of Alila for 3 nights in a stunning 1 bed pool villa. You are hit with the sheer beauty of the place as you roll up to the main entrance. Its ultra modern sleek architecture and design is mind blowing. Its hard to understand how they were ever able to build such a property in such a cliff top location.
We were made instantly welcome on arrival and introduced to our amazing villa host, Agus. Agus attention to detail with all aspects of our stay really did make perfection even better. Nothing was too much trouble. The stunning villa was always spotless, fresh water and clean towels seemed to instantly appear whenever needed, the spectacular turn down service would always leave us with a fresh treat to come back to the room to - beautiful hot run baths awash with rose petals, the most incredible towel animals I've ever seen - I had to get Agus to teach me how to make the elephant. It was brilliant! Just flawless attention to detail every time.

Breakfasts overlooking the pools and ocean were delicious and cocktails at sunset in the various cabanas are mesmerising (try Agus the barmans cocktails - wow!). We ate dinner in the Balinese restaurant twice and were really impressed with the quality of the meal at what were comparitively very reasonable prices.

The vast range of his/hers products in the rooms and bathroom are impressive and the lovely little hamper brought to you as you sunbathe by the pool containing cold towels, fresh water, sun screen and cooling lotion are a very impressive touch.

For the more active out there I can highly recommend taking the long set ot steps down the cliff to the beach below - take your camera down there with you as its siimply stunning.

The only drawback of Alila in my opinion is never quite knowing where to position yourself during the day - you really wouldn't need to ever leave your villa with its stunning lap pool and daybed, but then you would be missing out on enjoying the insane shared areas of the property such as the infinity pool that overlooks the ocean...its a nice problem to have!

We will be back...my wife will kill me if not...because places this good need visiting more than once.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

What can I say. We have just returned from a flying tour of Bali taking in 3 hotels and Alila Uluwatu was our last stop and unfortunately only one night. From arrival and be welcomed we knew it was going to work out well. The design of the resort is breathtaking coupled with all of the immaculate staff in white always smiling it was a pleasure even before getting out of the car. After a painless check in with welcome drinks and towels we were taken by our butler for the day Ary. Ary is great, you can see he enjoys his work, nothing is too much trouble and he knows about the hotel and Bali. He looked after us listening to what we said and surprising us throughout with really thoughtful offerings. He even accompanied us on a quick trip to Uluwatu Temple and told us all about it. He was there from the moment we arrived until sending us off to the airport. We asked for indulgent to see how it was and he was indulgent but only when needed, they just know when you need things, amazing.

We had pre booked a special menu at Cire the western restaurant at the resort. We had a nice cabana to ourselves. I love to dine out and have been to many top end restaurants but this ranks at the highest levels. The chef has a talent when it comes to flavours. We looked at the menu and thought how will it work but it did. Attention to service was also second to none, we had to do nothing but again we were not inundated all night for no reason. A faultless menu and experience. Of course out of nowhere Ary turns up at the right moment to whisk us back to our Villa at the right moment.

The villas are also great, really nice features through out, his and hers tailored toiletries, and all of the extras you would expect and more from a luxury resort. Outside you have a nice pool with cabana all over looking the sea down by the cliffs. We had a look at the 3 bedroom villas too, these would be great for a private party or event, loads of room, big pool and garden and great views.

Like I said we did a lot so went to the spa too, really nice individual rooms for couples with their own showers, baths, and facilities. The options are extensive and they really ask what you like so they can tailor the package for you.

As I said our stay was too short and it was really sad to leave, we will be back very soon....

Any body who says the resort is expensive and comment down for this are crazy. This is a luxury resort and yes it isn't cheap but when comparing it to your bog standard international hotel in most cities nowadays Alila Uluwatu in my mind is excellent value for money...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed 3 nights in a one bedroom pool villa in December. First of all the entrance to the resort is just spectacular with the open lobby and views of the Indian Ocean. The staff was friendly and attentive, but not as personable as what we had experienced while at the Chedi Club in Ubud. One thing can be said about this property is that it is simply stunning. The details and architectural design of the resort are just so over the top. Artwork and water features of the resort are just breath taking.

The pool villas are extremely spacious and the beds are extremely comfortable. The inside/outside living that the villas offer is out of architectural design. All of the products in the extra large bathrooms are luxurious. Being a male couple, we noticed that after we showed up there was a lot of scurrying around prior to our arrival at our villa. What we discovered is that they switched out all of the "HER" toiletries and put in another set for "HIM" products. They were truly an outstanding bunch of staff.

As for the food, it was good, but not great. Comparing it to The Chedi club, It was sub-par, but better than the Four Seasons Ubud. The breakfasts were very big and very tasty though. I guess when you have the views from the restaurants that you do, you could be eating a McMuffin from McDonalds and be very happy. For us the western style restaurant was actually better than the traditional Balinese restaurant. Once again, the food was still good, but not amazing. Plus, our bills were extremely high because we ordered hard alcohol which is quite pricey at the hotels. Wine was even more expensive which caught us off guard. We still had an amazing time because the service is great and the setting is spectacular.

We went down to the private beach one day and hung out with no one there all afternoon. It is a long hike down 645 steps, but worth the seclusion. The main pool area is quite beautiful and never seemed crowded which was surprising since you saw people in the lobby etc. I think most people just enjoy their own pool villa and never leave it. They are so nice, we rarely did either.

Uluwatu is sparsely developed with a few exclusive resorts and doesn't offer much within walking distance. So, if you are willing to go to a place and never leave this is the place for you. It is a big surfing area if you are into that. We chose this place since it was our last destination after touring SE Asia for a month. Great relax and read a book type resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a Villa on the end of the property so you have more privacy or the higher tiers (there ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at Alila due to the beautiful architecture, astonishing views, gorgeous landscape and delicious food. The service at the hotel was great everyone very nice, dedicated and committed especially the girls from the spa.

The only thing I have to say on the bad side is that you must be aware of what implies to share the lovely nature, therefore sleeping with the sound of frogs singing could be challenging, but nothing that a pair of earplugs wouldn’t fix.

The private pool in the room was such a refreshing option afterhours although using the main one with a great view to the ocean is nice for sunset. If you want a nice view from your room you should consider asking in advance because ours (301) wasn’t as good.

• Stayed January 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had a wedding here and stayed here for 3 days, twice. The resort is beautiful but not delicate in details. Services here depend on how much you tip. You have to tip everything to meet your expectation of this place. I personally recommend to stay in Bulgari instead here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AlilaVillasUluwatu, General Manager at Alila Villas Uluwatu, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Sophyeh,

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to provide valuable feedback pertaining to your stay with us, much appreciated. We certainly recognize that this took time out of your day for which we are truly thankful.

Moreover, please accept my sincere apologies for your experience pertaining to service. Rest assured that I will endeavour to contact you offline in order to gain more specific information that will assist with our overall improvement moving forward.

Please allow me to reassure you that your experience is in no way indicative of our normally high standards implemented at the property.

For the future, and when you next decide to visit Bali please be encouraged to contact my office prior, to which I will manage all arrangements for you personally. I am certainly confident in our ability to restore your loyalty to Alila and I look forward to this opportunity in the near future.

Once again, thank you for conveying your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Alila Villas Uluwatu, your Balinese Home again soon.

Best regards,

Sean Brennan

Been to Alila Villas Uluwatu? Share your experiences!