“It will blow your mind...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alila Villas Uluwatu

You added Alila Villas Uluwatu to your Saves list
Alila Villas Uluwatu
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl Belimbing Sari Banjar Tambiyak Desa Pecatu, Pecatu, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pecatu
London, United Kingdom
“It will blow your mind...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The design of the hotel is out of this world, we took so many photos as every time you turn your head something else catches your eye, it's truly stunning.

It is easily the most beautiful place we've had the pleasure of staying. I could write so much so I'll give my 'Top 10' of what is amazing about this place:

1. The Villas - The Design, the size, the gorgeous bed, outdoor rain shower, day bed, private pool, it makes it hard to leave
2. The main 50m infinity pool - loved our pre-breakfast morning swim
3. The Breakfast - Tapas style, different every day, don't be shy just order everything.
4. Warung Restaurant - Gorgeous local food and excellent service
5. The golf buggies - Go with the flow and get driven everywhere
6. Morning Yoga - You'll feel less guilty when your order everything for breakfast
7. The staff, Sean, Nikki, Ruru, room service, all of them, they can't do enough for you
8. The Spa - I had a full body massage my Husband had the facial, amazing!
9. The Beach - It's worth the hike, you'll be down there on your own, epic!
10. The His n' His Bathroom products - Facemasks, body lotion, Sun tan lotion...

Uluwatu is a bit of drive from the main resorts of Seminyak and Kuta but taxis are very cheap. We were there for our Honeymoon so were happy to stay in the resort (to be quite honest you won't want to leave.) But if you do fancy a couple of nights out we easily got out and back to Jimabaran Bay, Rock Bar at the Ayana hotel and even Seminyak. The hotel arranged all our taxis for us and gave us some good tips.

Room Tip: Go for a higher level room, for views of the ocean. Have breakfast on your private patio at least a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

- First rate resort - stylish but sympathetic design with good layout and excellent service.
- Manager, Sean, is knowledgeable and seems genuine.
- Has a small beach area but doesn't have amenities and it's a hike to get to it and not really suitable for swimming.
- Gym is small but OK (free weights up to 20kgs)
- Food in the two restaurants is to a very high standard
- On the whole extras weren't over the top price-wise but one complaint was that we were charged c.$20 per time to take a 5min car ride to a neighbouring resort to visit Finns Beach Club (which is very good), but were not told we were being charged for these four trips at any point until check out.
- None of the single room villas are on the cliff front - only the three bedroom ones are. Best therefore to go for one of the higher row villas - on 3rd or 4th level - if you want a sea view.
- Breakfast is very good but no buffet.
- Internet access is inclusive but is pretty slow and at times intermittent.

Room Tip: upper levels 3 and 4 have best views but are further from main facilities
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Welcome to Allia a stunning hotel with views from the cliff around every corner that are worthy of a photo. Especially the sunset cabana. Well any where was gorgeous. We had a 5 night stay with Sean the GM and staff and what beautiful staff they are. I alway think what you give out you get in return so being relaxed and friendly it comes back to you two fold and that was what was happening at the Allia. Sean the GM he was wonderful I really loved there cushions that where in our room so Sean organised a car and we went hunting for a smiler product and we achieved it in Seminyak which was an hour and half in slow traffic. Well didn't want to do that again as they where being made for us so we organised one the staff to go what a relief that was. The food was just stunning right from the breakfast in the morning to lunch and eating in the Warung restaurant which was our favourite. Oh, yes our room so very lovely the products to the ambiance of the room so all very cool.The spa, Oh yes the spa was just wonderful very professional loved it. Thanks Sean and staff you are what makes our journey to Bali another reason to return again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My parents and I resided at Alila Villas Uluwatu in July 2012 and it was one memorable experience. The room was lovely, the view is astonishing and the service, impeccable. It will definitely be place for stay should I return to Bali.

On a separate note, I was not so impressed with the spa journey that Alila Villas has. For those of you used to machines for facial, this is purely by hand. No dryer for post-manicure. Better off just enjoying the hotel. Just my two cents worth :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Weeks after returning home, I am still lingering on to (and sometimes dreaming of) the wonderful moments from my stay at the legendary Alila Villas Uluwatu, and the passionate individuals who made such a big difference - Sean (General Manager), Nickie (Resident Manager), Novita (Front Office Manager), Sumardika (Revenue Manager), Zul, Yuni, Aidil, Ngurah (from the front office), ensuring my experience is a special and memorable one.

I have only the BEST things to say about my stay at this surprisingly-different resort. From the moment I was picked up at the airport, I knew it was going to be an incredible journey. As soon as I stepped into the car, my driver Ngurah introduced himself and presented me with an iced-cold towel and a bottle of iced-cold water, adjusted the A/C temperature (he made it cooler), informed me of the distance and time needed to arrive at the resort, directed my attention to the in-car iPod and magazines, and asked if I needed to charge my iPhone's battery (he noticed I was using iPhone). On our way to the resort, Ngurah asked about the duration of my trip, if I had planned any destinations to visit (which I did not), and suggested quite a few landmarks to see (and told me the history behind these places). He also informed me the resort offers car hire services, if needed, I could make arrangements in advance (and for the next few days, that was exactly what I did; Ngurah is a gem – I was so lucky to have him as my driver, and taking care of me wherever I went).

Arriving at the resort, its distinctive and contemporary white-washed architectural design instantly captivated me! As our car pulled-up at the reception area, I was greeted by Sean himself, and a few other super friendly and attentive staffs, all with genuine smiles (that was the moment when my luggage was quietly loaded onto a buggy, and my passport and credit card being collected for check-in purposes). Sean was incredibly welcoming (he made every encounter at the resort a bliss with his courteous demeanor), and after sitting me down at the sofa area, helped me unwind with a spray of the resort's home made "refreshing face mist" (the scent is heavenly!), and directed my attention to the breath-taking ocean view in front of me - open space, blue skies, turquoise sea (as well as the spectacular landscape, extraordinary pavilions – especially the sunset cabana which hangs-over the cliff, and the carefully-manicured terrace)… OH MY GOD, IT'S SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL – and it is mine for the next few days!!!

Following my jaw-drop, Yuni gave me a tour of the resort and its facilities (spa, air-conditioned library, gym and restaurants) and as soon as we returned to the sofa area, my passport and credit card were handed back to me (smooth processing). Before heading off for my villa, Sean recommended me their mind-melting avocado and coconut smoothie hair treatment (must try – and pair it with a massage; you'll come out of the spa feeling luxuriously pampered, and don't forget to choose the signature iced ginger tea as your post-treatment drink), and my first night's dinner at "The Warung" (great recommendation – helps set the Balinese mood quickly; authentic and exquisite dishes – very tasty).

Walking down the corridor, I came across the gift shop "The Gallery", and after a quick glance of the items on display through the glass windows, I knew I would be back to fetch a couple of items (and I did, especially the clothings by "Lily Jean"). I first bought a dress and a t-shirt, and after wearing the super-comfortable t-shirt for a day, I returned to buy 3 more - thanks so much to Novita for ensuring I got all 3 pcs. before my departure). Good thing about the items sold here is the pricing is consistent; some resorts apply a premium to items being sold on premise vs. items being sold outside the resort, but not here.

Hoping onto the buggy, I was escorted to my villa where my butler was already waiting to greet me (and A/C already on, with music playing from the iPod). No kidding - the villa is as PERFECT as the photos you see on the Internet. It is extremely spacious with a lovely pool, and there are several areas to sit-back and relax (the cabana, of course), and the bathroom comes with an indoor rain shower and jet shower, and an outdoor shower, and an indoor bathtub with complimentary amenities including "refreshing face mist", "insect repellent", "sunscreen spf 30", "sun tanning oil", "after-sun cooling gel", "bubble bath", "purifying mask", "deep sleep pillow mist", and "shampoo", "conditioner", "bath gel", "lotion", "lip balm" (which actually come in "his" and "her" versions) and two versions of the bathrobes. Not only do I love all the premium amenities, I also appreciate the straw beach hats, bag, fans, sarongs and yoga mat that are provided for use, and the 300-thread-count Ploh bed linens, duvet and nice pillows to ensure a good night's rest – thanks to Nickie for all these thoughtful touches.

The villa is serene at night and picturesque by day. Waking up to the warm sunlight and sounds of nature is the best – gentle breeze with scent of Frangipani, falling leafs, chirping birds… And what better way to start the day than daily complimentary yoga class, followed by a mouth-watering tapas breakfast at Cire (the home made ice creams and chocolate treats are delicious!), where guests are encouraged to order multiple dishes to savor the delicacies. After breakfast, is a great time to explore the resort (the beach and hilltop), take photos to share with family and friends (there is free wi-fi), dive into the cliff-edge pool or have Novita and Zul from the front office suggest an itinerary (the Uluwatu temple at sunset is really stunning) or other bespoke activities.

And before wrapping up my vacation, I stopped by Spa Alila to pick up some wellness products to continue the rejuvenating spa experience at home. They are amazing and make truly good souvenirs for family, friends and colleagues alike. Now everyone dear to me can share a little bit of my relaxing time at Alila Villas Uluwatu.

For those of you who are still deciding, I HIGHLY recommend Alila Villas Uluwatu!!! I say with confidence - you won't regret it. As for myself? I have another trip already planned to return to my Balinese home, where I am certain I will be welcomed with open arms again.

P.S. To the Alila Villas Uluwatu team – thank you again and again for the hospitality and kindness you have shown me. You have been unbelievable at anticipating my every need - without my saying; the service is outstanding and IMPECCABLE, and I can't wait to return. See you all soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is breath taking from its architectural ingenuity, to its stunning views and tremendous service.

This place is an oasis, hidden from the chaotic hustling of Kuta and the constant barrage of tourists. Uluwatu is about 30 minutes from Kuta and about 1 hour from Seminyak (depending on traffic).

During our stay the staff and Shaun (General Manager) made us feel so very welcome, and went out of their way to make our 5 day visit memorable for all the right reasons.

The hotel is perched high above the Indian Ocean, offering fantastic yoga classes, great food choices (from traditional to international) and even better cocktails. The villas boast a private pool, cabanas, day beds, indoor and outdoor showers. If you are feeling fit definitely go for a wander to the rockpools / beach below the resort.

There are many beautiful surfing spots in Uluwatu just waiting to be discovered ... and Alila is the perfect base to explore the area and wider Bali.

Alila Uluwatu is a place you will never want to leave.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I do not have the vocabulary to rightfully describe how wonderful and perfect Alila Uluwatu is. It is a must if traveling in the area and a must see (stay) at least once in your lifetime. A hotel of this calibre is upward of US $2000 a night anywhere else in the world. If you feel like you need some R&R please fly from where ever you are to visit this 7 star oasis.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alila Villas Uluwatu? Share your experiences!