“"Lovers' Retreat" is exactly what it is!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Poppinghole Farm Cottages

Poppinghole Farm Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Robertsbridge
Poppinghole Farm Cottages
You added Poppinghole Farm Cottages to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cottage   |   Poppinghole Lane, Robertsbridge TN32 5BN, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“"Lovers' Retreat" is exactly what it is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Looking for a weekend of luxury with my wife in the Kent area while my daughter was away (a rare occasion which warranted a rare escape), I found Poppinghole Farm on the internet and thought it would fit the bill. While the website looked pretty impressive, as always, I checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor, and as they were mostly really good reviews, I thought I’d book us in. Unfortunately, they were almost fully booked (very reassuring, I suppose) and all that was left was “Lovers’ Retreat”. Despite one of the comments on Trip Advisor, I decided to ‘risk’ it.

I need not have been concerned. “Lovers’ Retreat” was exactly that, a quiet, cosy cottage with an amazing spec and beautifully decorated throughout (somebody has a great feel for design). Perfectly proportioned for two people for a short stay (I’d feel pretty comfortable being there for a week), we were more than impressed with the facilities; plenty of room to cook (but I can definitely recommend the Bull at Beneden – thanks to the owners for helping us out on that when we couldn’t find a table at many other pubs in the area), every utensil and gadget imaginable, a television with Freesat in each room (international rugby in HD – result!), iPod player (but no One Direction-mad daughter, so not required – also a result!). All in all, a really comfortable and relaxing living area.

The bedroom was equally impressive with a huge bed to sink into, plenty of storage space (again, no problem for a week) and a great contemporary en-suite wet room with all mod cons (luxury toiletries and bathrobes included!). It was the décor here that impressed us, with impressive mirrors and wall sculptures – absolutely no expense spared. We had an excellent night’s sleep – I had noted beforehand that one of the reviewers had noted a concern about the party walls (without anyone being next door?!?), but I can reassure the reviewer that the cottages were fully occupied and we didn’t hear a sound through those walls. No heat loss either as the whole cottage was pretty toasty – obviously an eye for the environment too!

And as for the pool, it definitely fitted the bill for a relaxing weekend, enough for the better half to swim her lengths, then to join me in the not insubstantial Jacuzzi. We declined the offer of massages/spa treatments as we wanted to make the most of a visit out to some of the many places of interest which surround Poppinghole Farm –maybe next time.

All in all, I really enjoyed “Lovers’ Retreat”, and it did prove to me that all too often in the internet age with easy access to reviews, we focus too much on the one negative review and pay too little attention the many positives ones (I must stop that on Amazon or I’ll never buy anything!). That’s what prompted me to post my first ever review. I’m glad we didn’t make that mistake with Poppinghole Farm. “Lovers’ Retreat” is exactly what it is.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
East Grinstead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We had a wonderfully warm welcome at Poppinghole Farm Cottages - we loved 'Old Spot' - decorated so beautifully and with everything we could want or need (state of the art cooker, four poster bed, wet room walk in shower etc.) Beauty treatments were top notch and we all enjoyed the pool (particularly our daughter who didn't want to leave). We did tear ourselves away from the comfort of our cottage to enjoy a trip to Battle Abbey just a few miles down the road and to go to White's Seafood and Steak restaurant in Hastings where the food (and company) was superb. It was a pleasure to see all the animals on the farm especially the pigs and Albert the turkey! Our stay was a delight from beginning to end and nothing was too much trouble for the owners who were on hand if needed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Poppinghole Farm. From the moment we arrived we knew that we'd made the right choice. The owners gave us a very warm welcome and were happy to spend time with us answering any questions we had about the cottage and the farm. How refreshing to find people who are happy to share their farm with you and who go the extra mile to ensure that your stay is as rewarding as possible. Within minutes of arriving we knew which animals were on the farm for my son to look at, where he could go to collect eggs and how we could walk through the fields to a lovely picnic spot by a lake. Needless to say we took the owners up on all of these suggestions and really felt we had experienced farm life.

We stayed in East Barn and were very impressed with the high standard of the accommodation. Again, it was the attention to small details which really impressed me. The thoughtfully prepared welcome pack which awaited our arrival, the lovely towels and toiletries in the bathroom, the fresh coffee maker ready for use - no corners cut here. Our cottage was very homely and the furnishing were all of very good quality. We had a lovely view over the courtyard and I liked the fact that, whilst the cottages are on the farm, they have this private courtyard which really gives you a feel that you've got away from everything.

As the weather was mixed during our stay, it was great to be able to use the swimming pool and jakussi. We took full advantage of this and I had trouble getting my son out of the pool on more than one occasion! I found the pool area was very peaceful and relaxing and this just added to the feeling that we had really escaped from everyday life.

I would have no hesitation at all in recommending Poppinghole Farm as a place to stay. We really enjoyed having the chance to see what life on a Sussex farm is all about and where better than in such a relaxing setting where you're so well looked after.

J&BKent

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to stay for the weekend with some friends who have 3 kids and found the perfect place in Poppinghole Farm. Our friends stayed in East Barn (the largest of the four cottages available) and we stayed in Old Spot cottage. The weather really helped as we were able to have breakfast, lunch and dinner (a barbecue) outside - lunch being a picnic by the lake where the kids could run free and were completely safe.

The cottages themselves were exceptionally well decorated, furnished and equipped. There was nothing that hadn't been thought of. The welcome pack of goodies was fantastic and the farm shop supplied anything else that we'd forgotten to bring!

We took advantage of the pool, jacuzzi and spa (have since been back for more spa treatments and intend to go again...!).

The kids were fascinated by the various animals that they saw on the farm, and loved collecting the free range chicken eggs for their breakfast. They also got a chance to feed the pigs and piglets and orphaned lambs. Best part was playing with the farm dogs!

Owners couldn't have been more helpful - and we got the feeling that if we'd asked for anything, they'd have produced it without question.

It was a great escape from our busy lives and we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: All cottages seemed a good size; Lovers' Retreat is the smallest which, if we're on our own...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband and I booked for a weekend at Lover’s Retreat at Poppinghole Farm, but left after one only of the two nights we booked.

The good: lovely website with lots of pics; friendly on the phone and sent a helpful info pack with good directions; generous welcome pack on arrival (bread, four different jams (!), butter, eggs, milk and crisps); pretty decor. The property is also near a lot of lovely stuff to do in Kent, including lots of gardens, very good wineries and restaurants. The price is also pretty good for self-catering - or it would be if they ironed out some of the issues with the property.

Now the bad.

There was no wifi, although it's advertised. They said they've had problems with the supplier and decided to cancel the contract – fine, stuff happens, but they didn't tell us before we arrived, and my husband brought work with him which he couldn't do. They offered use of the wifi in the site office – very kind, but it wasn’t open when we needed it, and it was noisy.

The heating was broken. When we arrived, they'd kindly lit the woodburner for us, saying the underfloor heating hadn't come on yet and they didn't want us to be cold. But once the fire died, and there weren't enough logs to keep it going, it got cold, and the heating didn't come on all night, except in the bathroom where it just took the chill off the floortiles.

There's a bright light outside the bedroom window that's on a timer to turn off at midnight, and there's no switch. We couldn't sleep til it turned off.

The cottage is tiny. If you want to make toast and coffee, you have to move everything else on the worktop on top of the hobs or onto the floor. If you want sharp knives, you have to reach up into the knife block, on a shelf about 6ft off the ground. There are no drawers or proper work surfaces, but bizarrely, there’s a dishwasher and a coffee-maker. It's clear the owners haven't actually tried to live in this cottage.

The pool looked nice, but is only open for guests for a few hours mid-morning and a few hours in the late-afternoon to evening (which it doesn't say on the website), so we didn't actually get to use it. I had a massage and it was fine, but the treatment room was cold, and when I told the masseuse, the only thing she could do was give me another towel.

It’s noisy – there’s building work and a riding stables on the property. Plus all the cottages share party walls (there was nobody staying next door to us, so I don’t know if that would cause a problem with noise, but I thought it might be worth mentioning).

All in all, it was a very disappointing experience. The owners kindly agreed to make a considerable refund based on our complaints, but I still feel it’s worth cautioning other TA users about what to expect. The business is very new, and pretty much all of the issues could really easily be ironed out, so I hope they are, as I’d love to come back to the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Poppinghole Farm Cottages? Share your experiences!