“hmm.......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)

You added Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort) to your Saves list
Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 / 42-3, Moo 3, Kamala, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Kamala
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“hmm.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

i can say this hotel is good and bad.
good : nice swimming pool, great restaurant setting, have direct access to the beach, some staff are good.

bad : TOO MANY MOSQUITOES!!!!, i dont really like the location, dont like the room's aircon positioning (no matter how you try to adjust, it will keep blowing direct air to you), some staff are not so good (can feel the different how they react to Caucasian & Asian)

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guia, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Restaurant overlooks beach. Attentive staff and good quality food, if somewhat limited in choice.
Restaurant has ceiling fans but sometimes it can be opressively hot and humid. Most of hotel not air conditioned except for bedrooms.

Several pools but 'towels on lounger' syndrome can limit choice. There are no lifts and hotel is quite large so choice of bedroom may be critical.

Bedrooms good size and comfortable.

In section of hotel in which we stayed there is a minimum age limit of 15.

Room Tip: Unless you choose a room which is level with the restaurant there are many steps to climb as there a...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Alicante Province, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is a large hotel beside a golden sandy beach Many swimming pools,Very peaceful, no children under 15 years allowed, a good choice of food both western and local,It was Thai new year during our stay, the hotel really put on a show, New years day it is custom to drench every one with water if you wonder out of the hotel,Be prepared,The sea swimming area was roped off for safe swimming,As jet skis are in use along the beach,The Hotel is only 30 drive from Phuket airport

Room Tip: I think most rooms are of a good standard
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sunwing_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort), responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hi Robert!

We are happy to see you sharing your positive experience with others online, thank you!
The Thai New Year – Songkran is traditionally followed by a ritual where local people used to wash out their sins by monks with some herb infused water. We are lucky to have the drum parade walking right through the property, so that you get the chance to experience some of the cultural aspect as well, aside all the big partying!
Hope to see you again next season, here in our quite oasis in Kamala!

Kind Regards & Safe Travels
Guest Relations
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have booked Sunprime Kamala through Tui Germany, which is later served by L´Tour etc.
However in booking process not all rooms are shown on Tui website. So I booked "Delux Room". In the end when I have received all travel papers from L´Tour it came out that we are having "Deluxe Ground Terrace" room which is room below sea level.

So we came to hotel, receptionist took us at our room.
On first sight i knew i won't sleep there.
Room was so stinky, just moisture and toilet odour was very pronounced.
When i asked what so stinky here, receptionist answered its a air refresher which made ma to laugh.
I went to inspect the bed, what i saw was stunning , 2 cm of thick dust on the bed frame.
When I discovered that receptionist saw where it goes so he offered us to go out of the room on reception on his own.

Without asking we have god one night of free upgrade in Deluxe Mountain View room.
Tomorrow morning we came on reception to clear all details.
I told them I don´t want to look on mountain and listen all cars and buses in the early morning , plus room was very unclean, toilet was disgusting for my standards, fungi, moisture, dirt etc so I told them that I will pay whatever I need to get "Deluxe Pool View" room. So they told us we need to wait 2 days for first free Pool View room.
We accepted that, and we payed 2 days x 400 Bht for Mountain View upgrade and than 11 days x 500 BHT for Pool View room upgrade.

So third day we came into our "Pool View room"
It was really room with nice view not the main pool and bar, but room was ever worse than previous.
Every wall had moisture marks, fungi marks, toiled was something i have never seen in my life. So i have uploaded some pictures of our famous room.

Every day i found cockroaches in front of my room and in front of many rooms.

So really what i can say is that hygiene standards of this hotel are on very very low level.

In the end I have received 30 % OFF from my upgrade price so my upgrade was reduced by 1800 BHT from which is something about 60 € which is nothing but I really didn't want to loose my time and nerves anymore. I just know I will never ever go there and recommend this resort.

Breakfast in hotel is great, buffet is rich.
One note that booth restaurants are on open space without in air conditioning except ventilators so it´s hot , its very hot.

We went from time to time to dinner in hotel. Its ok, Thai meals are fantastic, our european food is terrible, just terrible without any taste but i can accept that.

Bar is on semi professional level.
Bartender was serving me Hennessy VSOP with ice and I really needed to tell him that he is funny. Just please warm up my glass and serve me normal Cognac.
I just saw in his eyes that he thinks I'm some snob who just want to warm up glass just to give him extra job. Sorry but Cognac is not served with ice.

Cocktails are ok but they simply do not understand what is "crushed ice". They put you huge ice pieces and shake cocktail so slow that it happens nothing.

Epic moment of all on bar was when i asked for ashtray and they didn't have it so they just served me plastic glass 1/3 filled with water.
I looked at it. Other people looked at that. I smoked 3-4 cigarettes there and than I asked bartender "How manny Sunprime has ?" he replied "four" So i asked him is this four stars service ?? They were just looking at me.
Terrible.

I can understand they work a lot, they are maybe not payed good, but simply it´s not my problem. Im paying for service and I want it as described.

Big big big problem on all three bars is ENGLISH.
Simply bartenders do not understand English. They just understand some basic terms. Some better some worse but in my opinion that is not enough.
Same case is with all other personal except receptionists.

Wifi is free only in lobby, very slow but useful for people who are not addicts.
30 € for 7 days is ok price but wifi could be faster.

Gym is actually not gym, its a 25 m2 room with few machines. Its ok but its not real gym.

Hotel is offering reservations for "Shuttle BUS" to Patong every day.
Of course that is not BUS as it is written and described.
Its a kind of huge TUC TUC.
So I m just asking myself do you guys treat me like an animal, I'm not a goat do be driven in big open truck. If you are selling me bus please drive me in a bus.

Garden is nice and clean, also pools.
There is a plenty of place on all pools, towels are free and you can change them whenever you want.
So that part is very nice.

All in all

Gym 2/5
Safety feeling inside resort 4,5/5
Safety feeling on the resort beach 3,5/5
Safety feeling 100 m out of the resort 2,5/5

All in all officially resort has 4 stars but for my standards this almost not even 3 stars.

Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Wissut K, Guest Relations Manager at Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort), responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Luka W,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some specific feedback.
We are glad to see you pointing out the great breakfast range, the delicious Thai dishes, and my friendly colleagues at help desk.

We are a little surprised regarding your poor ratings and saddened to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay on our property, even though you told us so when we asked about the new room and followed up on the cleaning.

As far as I know, you were given a free upgrade as soon as you have complained regarding housekeeping and also given another discount when you told us that you were unhappy with the cleaning in the new room - this time as a good gesture, since our records shows that you used the “do not disturb” sign, almost every day – also standing for no cleaning service needed.

Unfortunately we could not find any records regarding the cockroaches – Please note, mostly these are bugs and have nothing to do with ones hygiene standards as they could sneak in anywhere, especially since we are located in tropical country, situated directly at the beach side – For those cases we of course have a treatment, upon request to keep them away.

I would like to take the liberty, to let you know that we are an official none smoking resort – that might explain the missing ashtrays and also why you caught the other guests’ attention.

We are also ecstatic to provide you with more information concerning our hygiene standards on checksafetyfirst.com as we are a certified resort, closely working with specialists, regularly coming in to inspection our facilities.

We very well know and understand how exhausting a long flight can be – Not being able to relax and unwind in your room right away can set the wrong tone for the whole stay – Therefore if you ever decide to change your mind, feel free to contact me personally. I am available for any kind of concerns regarding your stay or a quick chat 6 times a week.

We look forward to being in touch!

Kind Regards & Safe Travels
Guest Relations
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff were lovely nothing was too much trouble, even came to our room to help us connect to wifi. We had a problem withthe air con we rang reception andthe manageress was up straight away sorting it.
Location is away from main town but thehotel has a shuttle bus for a small fee. You are right on the beach where there are lovely restaurants. On friday they have a market right outside the hotel.
The only thing I would fault it on is not only do you have to pay £20 for wifi in your room for the week, it is per person NOT per room.
The breakfast is amazing totally spoilt for choice.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Bevvy07,

Thank you so much for the thrilling 5-stars! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay on our property and are happy to see you sharing your experience with the community online! We are honored to hear that you liked the service. Our team members are well trained and always eager to make sure you will have a good stay – If there might be a problem dial zero for reception and we will be there shortly as we offer 24 hours service. Thanks also for mentioning the great breakfast range – I am also glad to let you know that you will receive a free internet access for your room if you decide to come back, as a good gesture, for the loyalty towards us. Hope to serve you soon, upon your return to Phuket.

Warmly,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Kamala Sunprime was exactly what my wife and I were looking for in a relaxing long weekend away. The hotel is well situation right on the beach, which for us is important in a beach getaway. Some of the other places we have seen require a longish walk or shuttle to the beach, which for us would take away from the experience. Here we woke up early and went down t the beach for a swim before breakfast which was great. The resort also faces west, which makes it perfect for sunsets, which is a nice touch.

The breakfast buffet is excellent, and the waiters were friendly and helpful. For lunch and dinner, we ate on occasion at the hotel, but there are so man options up and down the beach that we could have tried a different place for every meal. Mostly were well priced with good quality food.

The resort has several pools to choose from, and the bar that sits in the pool is a nice touch. The rooms (can only speak for the one we stayed in) was clean and had everything we needed.

Some considerations: the resort is not that close to the "party" area of Phuket, which suited us fine, but some travellers may want to be closer to that. Also, wifi in the room was an optional add on that cost extra, which nowadays you expect to be free. On the up side for us was that there weren't many young children at the resort which mad it quieter - mostly younger couples, or older or retired travellers. It looked to us to be by far the nicest hotel on that beach.

Dear Graham L,

First off thank you for your kind comment and recommendation! We are so happy to read that the couple concept is catching. Thanks a lot for mentioning the unbeatable beach location and our professional team members, as I believe they are our greatest asset. I definitely agree that the swim up bar is quite handy – It is nice to have your cocktail shake while still sitting in the pool. I am not sure if you have noticed the buzzers around the sunbeds – once you push the button – one of our friendly team members in on the way, so that you don’t even have to interrupt your relaxing sun bath ;-). By the way for those who would like to go out to have some drinks around, there are some fantastic beach clubs nearby and if you aim for patong – we provide shuttle buses 3 times a day.
We hope to have you and your partner back soon, Graham. Let me know if I can help you with the reservation!

Warmly,
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A nice hotel, with high standards in food, service and room.
Although the beds were a bit too hard for us. However, we got an extra madras that helped us out.
The staff is very accommodating and courteous. Good tone between them and us the guests.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Oddvar K,

Thanks for sharing your experience on our property online! We are delighted to see that you recognized our friendly team members. They are always smiling, extra attentive and eager to ensure you will have a good time with us.
Hope to see you back in Kamala next year!

Kind Regards
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Kamala Beach Resort (a Sunprime Resort)? Share your experiences!