“This was a gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thavorn Beach Village & Spa

You added Thavorn Beach Village & Spa to your Saves list
Thavorn Beach Village & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   6/2 Moo.6, Nakalay Bay, Kamala, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Kamala
4.0 of 5 stars 565 Reviews
Carrara, Australia
“This was a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and the staff, accommodation and food were fantastic, also has a wonderful Tropical garden and huge swimming pool that meanders all around the gardens. it is only 1.5m deep throughout, so quite safe even for non swimmers. The buffets breakfasts are just fantastic

Room Tip: You can have either a beach side Villa, a room around the huge swimming pool, or up the hill on 4 le...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Beach Village & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 Star Review of our resort and for rating us as "One of the best hotels" you have ever stayed in.

I am delighted that you found our staff, accommodation and food & beverage outlets to be "fantastic" and enjoyed our "wonderful" garden and pool areas.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future and please keep up to date with resort news and special promotions via our website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.

Kind Regards

Director of Marketing Communications

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This resort is one of the most magical places , rich in history which you can learn about while walking through their amazing gardens reading the plaques. They strive to preserve the beauty of nature & that reflects Thai culture and traditions and preserving the local environment for future generations.
They have one of the biggest Orchid gardens which took ten years of research to refine. There are bunny rabbits all over the gardens, originally the gardeners got lonely and got one rabbit who they found a soul mate for and the rabbits there today are the offspring of those rabbits. (The story is simply beautiful)
There is also a rooster and his little soul mate the chicken who you will see around the gardens. The place is rich in history and it's truly a beautiful story. They took great care when constructing this resort and while building they unearthed many large shells which they keep on display as they found them. (also has a great plaque to explain the story)
You can choose from beach front villa's, pool front villa's , private villa's or mountain side villa's. And all are beautiful.
There are many activities available also, While there I took a Thai language class which was most helpful and a Batik painting class which I am glad to have done and took my painting back home with me.
The staff are exceptional and the general feel about the place is like paradise.
I really recommend this place as it's the most beautiful and magical resort in Phuket.
10/10

Room Tip: Beach side villa's or just behind beach side villa's are the way to go. They are away from t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 Star Review and for recommending our resort as the "most beautiful and magical resort in Phuket"

I am delighted you enjoyed the rich history that we strive to bring alive in our resort and found our beautiful exotic grounds and gardens such a magical experience.

As you stated, our commitment to protecting the local environment is such that we strive to preserve the beauty of Nakalay Bay for generations to come and provide a natural home for the wildlife that resides in the grounds.

We offer many activities to ensure guests can engage in a cultural experience, so I am pleased to hear you got involved in the Thai language classes and Batik painting.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future as well as your friends and family. To keep up to date with resort news and special promotions, please visit our website and social media pages.

Kind Regards

Director of Marketing Communications
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Staying here reminded us of being in Costa Rica. The grounds are just lovely. There are beautiful flowers and plants everywhere. They have fountains or water features about every 20 feet it seemed. I loved the sound of running water. The buildings give a definite Thai feel. which is what we wanted. Many of the hotels are modern or "normal" looking hotels. We wanted to feel like we were in Thailand and enjoy the experience. The reception building was open air and gave a nice first impression. This is the overall impression, but I'll break down the individual parts to it.

Arrival: We were initially very concerned at the airport because 4 consecutive taxi drivers didn't know where the hotel was located. The first taxi driver tried to convince me that the hotel was in Karon Beach and wanted 3000 baht to take us there. Luckily, I had looked at the map several times and knew where it was located. He reluctantly agreed and lowered the price to 2500 baht. We said no, and moved on. Eventually, we went to the taxi stand and asked if they knew where the hotel was located. The girl working there looked at several maps and located it. Ironically, we had picked up a tourist map in the airport, and the hotel was clearly marked. We opted to take a private taxi for 1,200 baht, much less than the original 3,000 we were told.

We arrived at the reception building around 1100. We knew we were early. They asked us to have a seat in a comfortable seating area. We were provided with ice cold towels and a cold welcome drink. They were both so refreshing and much needed. They completed the registration, but our room was not ready yet due to the early arrival. We asked them to hold our bags so we could start our day. We asked if they could arrange a taxi. Within 10 minutes, we had a driver with a very nice car available. We were taken to our first destination. We thought we had a taxi. It turned out the driver was there just for us, as long as we wanted him. He waited for us and took us to our next location. We had a private car service for about 5 hours, going to two locations, for about 1,200 baht. Well worth it.

Room: We chose a Beach Side Villa. It definitely had a beach cottage feel. We had a lovely view of the beach and water through a large sliding glass door. We also had a private patio with two chairs and a table. The villa had a vaulted ceiling and had white furniture. They provide robes and slippers, beach towels, shower towels, and two umbrellas. We had an outdoor shower, which was a fun and different feature. I was initially concerned that it would be hot taking a shower outside, but it was fine. I also thought the bugs would be an issue, but they were not. The air conditioning worked very well. The main thing I did not like about the room was the bed. The mattress was VERY firm. I almost felt like I was sleeping on the floor. As much as I don't like firm mattresses, my back felt pretty good when I got up each day. I guess there is something to it.

Food: The breakfast was ok. It was not fantastic, but more than adequate. The big disappointment was the bacon. I'm not sure how they cook it. My guess was baking it. The meat was brownish in color, so some cooking had occurred. However, the fat was extremely undercooked. The bacon look nearly raw and tasted unusual. Someone needs to show the cook how to fry up some bacon in a skillet until it is crispy brown. No raw fat!!! Yuck..

We had dinner at Old Siam. The dinner was excellent but quite the adventure. The restaurant normally serves dinner on the beach; however, when it rains or possibly rains, they move indoors. The building looks classic Thai, with lovely dark wood and wood carvings. The building is open air. THERE WILL BE BUGS SO GET OVER IT. I laugh now thinking back to some of the reviews I read prior to going complaining about all of the bugs or dead bugs in their room. This is a very tropical beach front hotel that was carved out of the jungle, down the side of a hill. It's not the city. We had lizards climbing the walls while we were eating and many flying bugs crawling on the table. It can be managed by swatting them off the table. We kept our plates and flatware covered until it was time to eat. They had brought a candle lit lantern to the table for a romantic feel. We initially thanked them and then asked to have it taken away. It was just attracting more bugs. Overall, the food was really good and we have a great story to tell.

Pool: They have an enormous lagoon style pool which is beautiful. We loved hanging out at the pool. They keep it very clean. Previous reviews complained about the sharp entry areas. This is still a problem. The only way in to the pool are these areas that look like beach entries. The problem is they mixed small stones into the concrete. Some of the rocks have their sharp points facing up. There are some areas that have been ground smooth, but not enough to make it helpful. I could not walk on the rocks because I found it to painful. My husband didn't like it but he could do it. My solution was wearing my flip flops into the pool and then placing them on the side of the pool.

Beach: This is a natural beach. At low tide, the water goes out fairly far and reveals rocks with small pockets of water. Even at high tide, the rocks have to be negotiated to get out to water that is deep enough to swim in or snorkel in. There were people who negotiated the rocks and were in the water. We chose not to. One reason was because of the rocks. The other reason was because of seeing many jellyfish near the beach. We were more than happy with the pool and stayed there.. If you want a nice beach, go to Patong. The tradeoff is the crowds and noise. We could take a nice walk at nice and enjoy hearing the crash of the waves and the chirping of the bugs.

Funicular: Both trams were working while we were there. We took a ride up the hill to check out the view. There isn't one from the trams. I presume the balconies in the rooms have a clearer view. From the trams, the buildings and trees mostly obstruct the view.

We would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were overly nice and helpful. Just keep in mind, this is a beach hotel. You are not in the city or a town. Everything is open air. It has a true feeling of being in Thailand. We loved it. The nature didn't bother us at all. We had mosquito repellant, which came in handy. We loved the grounds and gardens. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Beach Village & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in our traditional Thai style resort and that our natural surroundings at Nakalay Bay gave you a lovely experience of Thailand.

One of the main reasons that we have many guests who return to stay with us year after year, is that they also don't want to stay in modern "cookie cutter hotels" and want to experience the real beauty of Thailand. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future and for many years to come.

Thank you once again for your feedback and for recommending our resort to others on TripAdvisor.

Director of Marketing and Communications
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Personally, I've stayed in many 4-5 star hotel on Phuket and this is a hotel I come back to this paradise every time already for 14 years.
I have no regrets on choosing this hotel at all. You really get to relax by the sea, while having a sip of incredibly delicious cocktail or by sitting in the orchid garden, listening to tranquil drops of water from the fountain.
The hotel itself is huge and there are a lot of activities to choose from. Volleyball, frisbee, kayaking and batik painting is only a small part of the list of activities that are available.
Stuff at Thavorn is very friendly and room service is great!
Apart from the sea, this hotel has one of the biggest swimming pools on Phuket which include waterfalls and jacuzzi! There are also two bars available by the swimming pool.
Moreover, there are two restaurants which cook different styles of food. Thai, European and even Russian! Kotleta po-Kievski is just as good as if you would try one in Russia!
This hotel is also environment friendly as everything that surround you is trees, flowers and other plants.

I would spend hours on describing how amazing and unforgettable this place is! :) I would highly recommend this hotel, trust me, you would not regret it. 'Where Thai traditions meet nature.' is indeed a right slogan for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your kind support over 14 years.

A large percentage of our guests return time after time and I hope we will have the pleasure of continuing to serve you in the near future and beyond.

For nature lovers and those in search of a genuine Thai experience, we provide a tranquil natural environment for a peaceful, relaxing holiday as you stated.

Thank you once again for your review and for recommending our resort on TripAdvisor.

Director of Marketing and Communications
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The staff at the Thavorn are the Kindest and most sincere that I have ever come across on my travels. They will always be polite and will go the extra mile. The rest is simply stunning, it is a paradise and has an endless attraction. The pool is absolutely beautiful, large and not too deep in any part, safe for late night swims and day time. The resturaunt, food and refreshments are delicious and well presented. I will be back without question!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
RogerGibson, Manager at Thavorn Beach Village & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We strive to go above and beyond the expectations of our guests with our levels of service, so I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff welcomed you with our traditional Thai hospitality.

Our free form lagoon swimming pool at the heart of our resort is one of the most popular features with guests and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed swims both during the day and at night.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and as a valued Returning Guest, you will be eligible for special room rates and bonuses when booking directly through the hotel website.

Roger Gibson
Director of Marketing and Communications.
Tehran, Iran
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Since we were traveling through a tour group the other members of our team also faced with the same issue while we all had a hotel voucher for CVU rooms.
I asked the receptionist to pay back our payment to go to another hotel but they refused this one also. Since we were very tired of a long flight we left out of any option except accepting that downgraded rooms.
When we entered the room it was disgusting, an old fashion room, with out of date safety box and lockers,…
The ridiculous thing was happened in the morning when the same receptionist came to us to get a signature on a letter saying we have My husband and have had very bad memory from our stay at Hotel Thavorn Beach Village in Phuket. We arrived on the hotel around 5 O'clock afternoon in 25th of March 2014 in which we had a reservation for a CVU room. However, a very bad attitude receptionist told us they don’t have any CVU room available and they had to offer us another room.
The ridiculous thing was happened in the morning when the same receptionist came to us to get a signature on a letter saying we have chosen the room by our own desire!
I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone even my enemies :D

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort.

I would just like to advise you that we offered a complimentary room upgrade to a higher room category for every room in your group booking and that the feedback regarding this upgrade was overwhelmingly positive.

I am sorry to learn that this was not the case for you. Please be advised that the letter regarding the room upgrade was issued by the travel agent and not the hotel, but rest assured that we will provide further training to our staff where applicable to ensure that miscommunications such as this can be avoided.

Thank you once again for you feedback which we will use to ensure we maintain a high level of service for all guests.

Roger Gibson
Director of Marketing and Communications.
Burpengary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed at the resort in late April. This was the 4th time myself & my wife have stayed at this resort in the past five years. The location of the resort is just perfect being very private set on some 20 acres & well away from the hustle & bustle of Patong. The resort has its own 700metre private beach & 4900sqm swimming pool & manicured gardens and orchid gardens. The staff are always make you welcome when they go past and very attentive when dining in the restaurant's. The resort has undergone renovations in the past 2yrs. Staying in the hillside villas is always our choice for the view of the sea and the room including balcony & Jacuzzi some 60sqm. The swimming pool is the highlight of the resort with plenty of sun chairs and swim up bar and even a coffee shop where you can have a coffee or desert or a beer or hot food without going into the main all day dining restaurant. Overall the resort is is a great place to relax & take in the views. Special thanks to Sara in the coffee shop & Koy & the other staff in Marisa's restaurant. Also to management for the unexpected upgrade to a one bedroom villa - thank you and much appreciated.

Room Tip: Hill side villas are the choice with the views of the sea from your room & balcony
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Thavorn Beach Village & Spa? Share your experiences!