“Home from home with an amazing personal touch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Tannerie

La Tannerie
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chalais
La Tannerie
You added La Tannerie to your Saves list
26 rue d'Angouleme, 16210 Chalais, France   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Chalais B&B and Inns
“Home from home with an amazing personal touch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at La Tannerie at the beginning of the summer holidays with our two year old daughter. The locations was perfect being close to the town centre and within an easy drive of a number of nice lake beaches. Liz and Jeremy were amazing hosts, nothing was a problem for them, they did everything they could to make our stay a pleasure. We stayed in one of the converted stables, next time we would take one of the houses as we got garden envy!! However the stables did offer exceptional value for money

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
rous mill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Extremely well situated with easy access by car or on foot. Walking distance of all you would look for in a town. Yet enclosed by a comfortable silence, with a large maintained pool and grounds, close parking, friendly, companiable and most helpful proprietors, in well-equipped accommodation.
Advice, too, on what and where to buy, where to go to see places in the Charente and the Dordogne and return safe and contented, or where to eat if you want a good restaurant.
John Porritt

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Orival, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed in one of the small gites just for a few days. Jeremy and Liz are the very friendly and helpful owners. La Tannerie is situated right in the heart of Chalais which makes it ideal for shops and restaurants etc. The gite itself was comfortably furnished and was equipped with all you could want, including Wifi. The actual gite we stayed in did look a bit tired and the shower and overall cleanliness was a little overlooked however it was definitely value for money at 42 euros a night and I would have no hesitation in recommending this relaxed and easy-going B nad B in a beautiful part of France.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed at La Tannerie this summer, and can't recommend it highly enough. Jeremy and Liz made us feel so welcome, nothing was too much trouble, and their friendliness really made the stay a pleasure. The gites are really well appointed, the lovely pool just a few steps away, and you cannot help but feel relaxed when staying here! If you want a home from home, La Tannerie is for you, if you want 5 star sophistication go to Cannes! Chalais is also a lovely little town, and doesn't suffer from a Brit tourist take over, so you really feel like you are in France. Perfect.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cornwall England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed in a gite in La Tannerie on the occasion of my sons wedding and cannot speak highly enough of the whole experience from the excellent breakfast the top class comfort of the gite and the help and advice Liz and Jeremy provided. As my son and his bride are both English and we knew very little about Chalais their help was invaluable.
For a town of only 2000 people their is just about everything you need including a supermarket which puts most of ours to shame.There are plenty of bars and we ate in the town square about 200 yards from La Tannerie.The food was excellent but its probably an idea to warn them if you have a large party otherwise you might have to wit some time.We are booking Lla Tannerie next year with some of the wedding guests as a sort of reunion .I have no hesitation in advising anyone to book with Liz and Jeremy they even have a poll where you can cool off ( it was nearly 40 degrees in July) which is probably why my ex- brother in law donned his speedos ( Not a pretty sight)
Seriously this is the Place!! so book now before we do !!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
somerset uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stayed in a room for 3 nights whilst attending my son's wedding for several days. In addition my brother's family, other family and many of their friends also stayed in all of the Gites during this time and for longer.

Jeremy and his family were so helpful, kind and generous with their time. The room was very comfortable - I had an ensuite - and the price was very reasonable - especially as I booked my room just before my trip. The breakfasts were fantastic - and served outside in a beautiful setting - wonderful croissants and pastries - such a wide choice - and we were always given the opportunity to have more every day.

The swimming pool was great and was kept in superb condition with lots of extra blowup toys for any children to play with - in fact all ages enjoyed them. Although I only stayed at La ~Tannerie for a few days, I was told I would be welcome to enjoy all or any of the facilities for the rest of my stay in Chalais.

Although I did not stay in the Gites, I spent a lot of my time in Chalais visiting them, and the facilities were great - especially Sky tv so we could watch the World Cup - for what that was worth!! and the Tennis - and Wifi access was also easily available.

The only reason I did not spend all of my stay in Chalais there was because they were fully booked by my son's friends and there was not enough room over the main wedding weekend for my friends as well.

I am hoping to go back to Chalais again in the future and I would certainly want to stay at La tannerie if they have vacancies and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
french life
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed in the main house of La Tannerie Maison for 2 weeks.
On arrival Liz provided us with a lovely meal french style - beef bourgonoin- more than enough to feed us the whole week, and a good welcome starter pack. This was great especially after a long drive. Graham was there to welcome us and show us around. we were amazed by the size of the house, alot bigger than the pictures in the web site shows. We had 2 familys and having 2 sitting rooms was a huge benefit. The house had all the comforts of home and more, with the spacious gardens and lovely swimming poool which the children directly dived into after dinner. Chalis is a pretty french town and especillay safe for children.Liz, Jeremy and Graham are there 24/7 to help you with any queries and give advise where to vist ( as there is many ). La Rochelle is worth a visit with its lovely beaches and chique cafes.We left to visit Disny at around 11pm at night and were speachless when they all came to vist after a night out themself to say goodbye ! We have been to France before and never meet such a welcoming and helpful family. Thanks for a superb holiday will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to La Tannerie? Share your experiences!