“As the song goes "we are family".....” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Cove Island Resort
Albaguen Island, Port Barton, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port Barton
Manila, Philippines
“As the song goes "we are family".....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

In my last visit to this island paradise, I said I would recomend tis resort to friends and relatives. The opportunity arose to celebrate a special occasion so I brought this July the whole family and relatives to Blue Cove, comprising of 12 adults and a 3 year old grand daughter. For 9 family members, this is their first visit to this resort and they love it.

On the day we arrived a Belgian couple, Peter with their 12 year old son were checking out. This was their second return visit to Blue Cove so we were fortunate to have the resort all to ourselves so we occupied seven cottages including the much requested honeymoon cottage by the sea.

By the way seeing the family members enjoy themselves so much by hiking, boat paddling, fishing and snorkeling this resort would be an ideal venue for family affairs such as island wedding or birthday celebrations including one-of-a kind corporate meetings or weekend company team building activities inspite of the long land travel and boat ride from San Vicente. The road leading to Port Barton is close for repairs and one has to travel to San Vicente which is an addition of one hour land travel. The good news for Sunday church goers, there is a Catholic priest now assigned to Port Barton and mass start at 4 PM in the afternoon.

Services have definitely improved and more consistent. This early they have started to hire and train new staff in anticipation of the arrival of new and returning guest for the high season starting October. I am told that the fish cage project which is an offshore attraction will be finished by then.

I would like to thank Sam one of the Blue Cove owners, Joseph a former manager and Angel the current resort manager and the staff for making our family celebration and vacation very memorable. Guys keep up the good work.

We did something new during this visit: island hopping. We visited a nice resort Coconut Garden Resort, a 20 minute boat ride from Blue Cove.

Room Tip: The honeymoon cottage by the sea occupied by my son, his wife and daughter is tops
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Despite reading some of the negative reviews before we booked Blue Cove, we had a good feeling about this place and what it had to offer us. We knew it was simplistic and going to be rustic, but this was just what we were looking for and we weren't disappointed.
The food was good, especially if you take into consideration they are isolated on the island and rely on supplies from the mainland.
The staff were excellent and from what we could make out, some of them had only just started at the resort and brought with them a fresh & happy to help attitude. Sam one of the owners, Joseph the Manager and Angel all went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. I love my white wine and although they didn't have any in supply when I first arrived, they had it brought across the next day for me. If you have any dietary requirements or certain drinks you like, just email Sam before your arrival and I am sure he would arrange for you.
We stayed in the over water bungalow, which was private, peaceful and totally relaxing. No hot water, but you don't really need it. Generator power only comes on at certain times ... but you just work around it and to me it was just a reminder of how much we take for granted back home. Yes there are bugs, but being from Australia we are used to creepy crawlies so they didn't really phase us.
Wi-Fi access was good, except during bad weather, but that didn't bother us as we weren't there to sit on the net.
The snorkeling was great, they have set up a fish reserve in the cove, which is obviously a good hide-out for big and little fish alike.
We were up very early one morning and saw dolphins swimming past about 100 metres from out bungalow deck. If I hadn't already dressed and packed up I would have swum out to them!
All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our say and have recommended to other friends who are traveling to these parts.

Room Tip: Over water bungalow was peaceful and private.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013. Can't complain about the location and the quiet atmosphere but that is about it. However...and putting besides our foreign exchange purchasing power and our combined Swiss/Australian standards.

The food quality is mediocre and over priced when compared to the quality. For the most part, the seafood is not really fresh (more processed quality that comes out from a box) and the quality comes with a high variance. It is either ok, so-so or bad. I think they can really play with more native food variety on the menu.

The rooms are basic and rustic. As long as you are away from the generator. The noise is just terrible, particularly in the evening or if you are very close to it. Bring ear plugs and make sure your mosquito nets are free of holes and tears. Have extra batteries handy for your flash light or torch during the evenings. In addition, bring excess water from the mainland if you can. It is certainly much cheaper.

The service was fine but in saying that, I do share the same cultural heritage and took that advantage. However, they could certainly raise the bar. As for management, they really need to look at turning this place around. That young guy we met on our horrifying trip in, apparently the "manager" during our visit, is not fit for the job.

The inbound travel to the resort is terrible. On bad weather conditions, forget about it. Too dangerous and believe me. If you are deciding to use their shuttle services, make sure you ask for a clean and functional vehicle because ours wasn't. For a hefty price that we paid, we certainly deserved more. Don't forget to ask for ear protection if you are doing excursions. The boat noise is unbearable and particularly for kids.

The beach. Not much to really say about it. It is very rocky and you can't really swim.

Overall, the stay was disappointing. If they could work on their product and service offerings (including service levels), maybe it could slightly improve things. Until then, there are better places around for similar value.

Room Tip: As far away as possible from the generator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Blue Cove was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of my trip to the Philippines. To preface, I wouldn’t highly recommend Blue Cove if you are seeking a spacious, Western-style resort. If simplicity isn’t your thing, spend the money and go elsewhere. That said, if you’re looking to escape the world, Blue Cove is perfect. The staff was incredibly accommodating and made you feel as if you were family. The waterfront bungalow was absolutely epic with the water at high tide coming right underneath the balcony; you will fall asleep to the sound of the waves almost directly underneath you. The food and drinks were above average. The scenery was spectacular especially at the peak of the island (I will warn you that while the hike is only about 10-15 minutes, it is quite steep). The snorkeling and swimming on the small, private beach-area is great. Overall, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place to stay for a few days, you’ve found it with Blue Cove.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

First of all, the beach: a five-foot wide strip of sand, then rocks--rocks as far out as you can wade, all of it choked with seaweed. Awful. My room was in the newly completed building, which is solid construction with two tiny windows and no cross-ventilation--it was almost impossible to sleep. But the piece de resistance was the food, which, for the three meals I had, was absolutely rancid. The beer was overpriced and warm, and the staff diffident to the point of rudeness. I had planned to stay four days or so, but left as soon as I could get a boat. On top of teverything, they tried to overcharge me, and I had to produce the emails quoting my rate. The only positive thing I can say is that I met some very interesting peole who were guests there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

First of all, this review is for the accommodation and service only. The resort is lucky to be placed in such an amazing island, and this is the only reason I would recommend it.
We simply spent our whole days outside kayaking, snorkeling and swimming and therefore had a great time anyway.
To review the accomodation, expect A LOT of insects inside your room, especially spiders. Never seen that big spiders and so many of them! And I have travelled to many exotic countries. When asking one of guys working there, who I assume was the manager(?), if they have any insect sprays or anything, he simply shrug his shoulders saying he hasn't seen that many. Now the worst thing about the accommodation wasn't that we shared it with 10cm spiders every night, but the fact that all our stuff were covered in mold that was coming down from the roof in dusty form. Waking up sweaty covered in that every morning was not great, I got it my eyes plenty of times by just looking up to the ceiling. We had a terrace from our room which we never used as the chairs, table, anything that was left there was covered in this yellowy white stuff.
Now to review the service, there were few that were super helpful and kind, the carpenter being one of them!
But the guy checking us in was so incredibly rude and unprofessional, I really wonder why he works in hospitality. When we came to him to speak about the mold and insects, he acted as if we were pissing him off, and he just looked ut as annoyingly... Only after 10 sec of staring he got out a "eeeehh.. Sorry?".
And that was pretty much it. Then he walked off talking angrily in his own language to one other staff member while we were still there.
A few other notes about the staff, we saw one standing and peeing in the middle of the common lawn while still light outside, one day there was no wifi and while walking around we heard Facebook chat sounds from the staff room, they probably saw us because a few mins after that one staff member came with the Wifi transmitter to the common room (we had already then asked why there wasn't any WiFi and the girl just shrug her shoulders and said something we didn't understand).
Think this sums it up!
Oh and expect to pay 250 for breakfast and 300 for lunch/dinner without drinks.

• Stayed March 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were very pleased to spend a part of our vacations in a seaview bungalow (1500 pesos per day) in the Blue Cave Resort.

By arrival the nephew of the new owner informed us that the booked and already paid bungalow is still under construction and we must take very small bungalow (1200 pesos per day), the difference of the already paid-up sum could be credited with food and drinking. We were a little bit afraid about that, nobody informed us before arrival (we called them to arrange the transfer 1 day in advance). Furthermore nobody informed us about other building measures at the resort (sport bar, toilets, kitchen etc. which were very noisy). There was no possibility to enjoy the beach or the resort area. The building measure starts 8 a.m. and ends 5 p.m.

The management has changed and was not on site, the prices and the quality of the dishes are a cheek (1 liter of water 100 pesos, no food less than 300 pesos,....) the food was the worst one we have eaten during 6 weeks of Philippines.

Nevertheless, the absolute highlight was the presented bill on the departure day. The nephew of the owner charged for the very small bungalow 1400 pesos per day and not the advertised price by arrival of 1200. After my protest he offended me, I was not correct informed, the price of 1200 is the low season price and so on. When I informed him that I will write a bad review in case of many negative experiences and the construction noise, he begs my wife separately, we should refrain from a bad review. Unbounded cheek!

In our time in the Blue Cave there are a lot of other discontented clients. I cannot understand why this resort have so much high recommendations. This was the reason why we booked this resort. I travel a lot without high demands on standards but never have experienced such an unprofessional behavior, such a defective information policy as well as mismeasures of management.

We cannot recommend this resort. The management is only interested in your money. There are so much better resorts in the surroundings!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!