“overpriced,unclean...and second-hand mousetraps” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oxtongue Lake Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dwight
Oxtongue Lake Cottages
You added Oxtongue Lake Cottages to your Saves list
4019, Highway 60, Dwight, Ontario P0A 1H0, Canada   |
Toronto, Canada
“overpriced,unclean...and second-hand mousetraps”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We are outdoor lovers, hikers, campers and canoers. Family with two young kids.
We have been going to these cottages on and off for many years, and they were priced according to their quality - rustic but cheaper than other places in the area. With new ownership, we've seen the prices go up (almost $200 a night) which makes sense for the cottages that have received some upgrades, but the owners are also charging this for the very old and dirty cottages (more like cabins or shacks), which is unfair. The furniture smelled like wet dog - we had to get them to vacuum "again", and things were broken - toilet paper roll broken off wall, leaking sink, chair with no back, lights that didn't work...then there were the four mice running back and forth in front of us across the floor while my kids were playing on the carpet (which was also heavily stained, I had to put blankets down)...the last straw for us was when cottage staff asked us to reuse the second-hand mouse traps they had, my husband refused and we were told, "that's how we do things around here". We went into town and bought our own. To spend $200 a night and then have to remove dead mice from traps because the owners don't want to spend $1on a mousetrap is disgusting. Talk about cheap. We understand in fall little rodents may wander in, but for nearly $200 a night, management could make an appropriate effort.

They are also obsessed with how the recycling should be done there by guests, but have made little effort to make it clear and easy for visitors to manage it. This to me, exemplifies the level of mismanagement. They have one garbage bin in the "cottage" with an old photocopied list of what the town recommends, then they "scold" guests when they don't get it right, Here's a forward-thinking suggestion - put several bins in the cottage - each clearly listing what can go in. It is not the job of the guests to figure all this out.

As for our nature-loving family of four, never again. We researched while we were there, and I encourage you to do the same. There are many other cleaner places at similar price points ,where there is also pride of ownership. In the past, we have recommended these cottages to others, but I will be sure to tell my friends and colleagues about this place now...do your research, find a better place. Spend the extra $10 more a night to truly enjoy the beauty that surrounds you in Algonquin Park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Guy D, Owner at Oxtongue Lake Cottages, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Wow, let me say I'm really really disapointed in this review.
When you had reserved this cottage I had mentioned to you that you would be the last family renting this cottage as it was scheduled to be completely renovated the second you left.....which at this point is happening...you had replied, "That's no problem".

Next, when you had informed me there were mice I had brought you over new mouse traps and apologized for the mice...your reply was that you had understood about the mice, that it was the time of year where it was getting colder and that being up in the wilderness, every mouse around here are trying to get into warmer places for the winter, and that you have the exact same problem at home. I was very pleased you understood.....

Later that day your complaint was that one of your family members was having an allergic reaction to "dog hair" on our bed sheets...
I found that odd because we have all of our bed sheets cleaned by a local company that also cleans almost all of the other resorts around us as well....and do a great job at it....BUT I didnt say anything because the customer is always right.... so I went out and bought brand new sheets and comforters, called in my cleaning staff and had your cottage completely cleaned again....

Later that night you emailed me to inform me that you needed more mouse traps....at 10pm at night I drove over to your cottage with 2 more brand new mouse traps.....in this case the customer isn't always right....we did make an appropriate effort. we catered to your every complaint...out side of building you a new cottage I'm not really sure what we could have done next..

To adress your next concern about the rate of our cottages.....I charged you $163/night for the cottage - as for the taxes that has nothing to do with me, we cant get away from the taxes....but to complain about $163/night at peak fall colours, on the thanksgiving long weekend is a little much.....there are places up here that rent out tents and a canoe for $70 PER PERSON PER NIGHT. so compare that to your complaint of $163/night for a family of 4...and we include canoes.

As for the recycling, you being "out door lovers" you think you would know how to recycle...every cottage does have 2 blue bins to seperate the recycling. For the photocopied guiedlines of recycling we provide in the cottages.....did you want a glass framed copy hanging on the wall?

Last but not least, your complaint of us being cheap, that blows my mind coming from someone who has been coming here for years. We have to date renovated 10 out of 12 cottages....as well as rebuilt our whole infrastructure so that the cottages run smoothly. We have only had the cottages for 3 years. If I was to give you an amount of how much we spent it would blow your mind. So being called cheap is a huge lie. Everyone of our customers that have been renting before our time are soo excited to come up time after time to see what we have done next. We are continuously improving our place....so a little recognition of all the money and hard work we have put into this place from our regulars would be greatly appreciated. And to tell you the truth you're the very first unhappy regular....

In summary, we do put alot of hard work into this place, and appreciate constructive criticism, and are very very happy with the way things are coming along.....and have learned that there are some people you just cant please no matter how much you try to.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have been going to Oxtongue now for 18yrs. I always rent the first week of July and sometimes the second week as well. I started renting in July 1995 when my second boy was only 7 weeks old and my oldest was 2 1/2! Every summer the boys looked so forward to coming up and seeing all their friends from the year before.
We met repeat families that came at the same time every summer so it was like hooking up with family. We watched our children grow together.
One thing I liked the best was that most cottages face the lake, only 2 don't and I always felt like I could see everything and could always see the boys as they ran around. The lake is clean, great for fishing, which I taught them to do, taught them to waterski there (had our own boat), trailed through Algonquin Park, which is right next door and had our nightly campfires. They are now teenagers, and have summer jobs. I still continue to go every summer, but now I take a friend or two with me and just relax. After 18 summers, it has become part of my life! I am glad that I have provided a safe and fun environment for them to experience up north in!
The resort has gone through 2 owners since I started, I think the owners now are great, they are around and willing to just be friendly and make sure you enjoy your stay.
The "Man" Ross is always near by to fix anything, or help you get what you may need.

If you are looking for a Muskoka resort, this is not for you, this is a place with real cottages, what it means to be at a cottage! Simple cottages that feel homey, that have been kept up well. The new owners, the DeFrancesco's have put in a lot of new upgrades over the past year and I can only expect it will get better.

If you have small children and want to enjoy the outdoors by the lake for a reasonable price, then this is where you will want to return every summer as I have!

Anne (Cottage 3)

Room Tip: All 2 bedroom cottages have double beds, so if you have children be sure they can share a bed!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My two daughters and I have been vacationing there one week every August for the last three years, although my oldest missed this year (she went to Newfoundland). We enjoyed it more each year, and it is honestly a place that I have come to miss more every year we have to leave. My youngest, 11, was so excited this year she had it marked on every calender in the house. The cottages are very clean, and while not overly spacious, are very accomodating. We stayed in cottage 7 the last two years, and it has everything you need, except for handsoap of course. Who would expect handsoap???? Its a cottage, not Comfort Inn. In fact, when a dresser was missing from my room on arrival this year, all around go-to guy Ross had one there in 15 minutes, larger than last years dresser.
The lake is really a treasure in this area, as it is surrounded by great properties and scenery. It is not a big lake, so the water never gets rough and is generally pretty warm. The property has many water toys and activities, so kids of all ages have something to do. There is a dog beach that gets more fun to watch every year, and my dogs love it here.
Which brings me to service. Ross is a genuine good man who provides so many levels of service and maintenance it is too long to list here. He works hard to make sure every cottage is taken care of, and he is great for area info and a laugh. The owners, John and Donna, along with their sons, are unbelievably generous and warm people. In fact, my daughter and their niece were so inseparable this year that they invited us to stay an extra night at their personal cottage. They were accomodating and made us feel so welcome. My golden retriever even used their living room carpet as a toilet TWICE and they merely laughed it off with jokes (while I stood red-faced). Every family member I met were extremely friendly, and I can say these people are family in the most beautiful sense of the word. I cannot thank them enough for their overwhelming hospitality and unwavering generosity.
To put it plainly, if you are looking for a gorgeous, relaxed setting with good people and lots to do, it doesnt get any better for this region for the price. Thank you, OLC, for another perfect vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Cottages are clean and spacious. The lake is spectacular. I had 4 kids ranging age from 7 till 14 and they had a blast canoeing, kayaking , swimming.... Great place to be.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times over the last five years. Since the change in ownership, the place has consistently improved. We stay in cottage 7 this time. It is a small two bedroom cabin that has been recently renovated. It looks great. It is a little on the small side but would be perfect for a family with a couple of small children, however there is also a bed chesterfield. We are going again this weekend.....can't wait. This is a very family friendly, pet friendly place. It is clean and affordable. No, it's not the ritz.....it's a cottage! so don't expect perfection but they sure try!.I can't wait to see what other improvements they plan to make over the next few years.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
South Pole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The cottages are located beside the beautiful Oxtongue Lake.We stayed in a two bedroom cottage which felt a little on the smaller side however it was very clean and seemed to be newly renovated.They also had canoes which were included in the priceThis property is about 10 kms. from Algonquin Park.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
acton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We have been going to this resort since 1997 and it has been our home away from home. We are up during the Summer and in the Fall for 1 and 2 week periods and are joined by our parents, who stay in another cabin at the resort for 1 week during the summer. The resort is under new ownership and management and the changes and improvements over the past 2 years has been incredible. The new owners has invested both their time and money in the resort, which had not been done for a very long time. Initially, we noticed small changes in how the landscape and grounds maintenance were being done. We saw comfortable new beach chairs gracing the shoreline, picnic tables with umbrellas in front of each cabin and general landscaping improvements throughout the property. We then started to notice that each cabin was being renovated and when we arrived this year to our normal cabin in the summer, could not believe the improvements. Suddenly, it was bright, cheery, clean with a number of little things that had been taken care of. Essentially, not only attention to the big things but also attention to the small details that make ones arrival pleasing. We have now been in two of the renovated cabins and 2 others that are slated for renovation this year. Even the cabins that have not yet been renovated had been improved on. Investing money is one thing, but the new owners and their staff are investing their time and energies as well. The onsite management team is always there ready and willing to share information or give a hand and they manage the resort with a great deal of pride and quality. The owners have not only been approachable but go out of their way to accommodate people and their requests. There is really no way that we could list all the things that have improved and we see improving year to year. This is not a 5 star resort - if that's what you want go to Deerhurst but this is a resort with family values, a fabulous shoreline that provides a safe playground for children and adults alike and cabins that are comfortable and clean but still allow you the feeling that you're in a cottage not a hotel room. We can't speak highly enough of the resort and would recommend it to anyone. The only thing we miss and I know someone will say "why would we want this" is an internet connection! Yeah...guess we just can't leave part of the city behind but we can just drive down the street a couple of miles and find a place to hook up our wi-fi - so guess we have it all! Keep this resort on your radar; soon you will see it mentioned as one of the best family cabin resorts in the area! In many of our minds, it already is and that's why some of us have been coming back for 30+ years but now, with all the good things happening, you can bet we and our children after us will continue to be calling this place our Muskoka gem for 30 more years.
Patrick & Shelley M.
Ontario

Room Tip: Most cottages are facing the water - wake up to the sunrise and sip a glass of wine sharing the suns...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Oxtongue Lake Cottages? Share your experiences!