“Great place to camp with your family!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Algonquin Trails Camping Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dwight
Algonquin Trails Camping Resort
You added Algonquin Trails Camping Resort to your Saves list
2883 Hwy 60, Dwight, Ontario P0A 1H0, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dwight
Holland Landing
“Great place to camp with your family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We went to Algonquin Trails for the first time in May for the long weekend. It was so fantastic we went back again for the Canada Day long weekend!

The owners were friendly and accommodating, our kids had a blast and we met some nice people :) The park has outdoor games (i.e. horseshoes and some other games that the kids and adults can play together), mini golf and a driving range.

The playground and pool were sufficient to keep my kids busy (which is saying a lot), we kept our dog tied up and he doesn't bark so there was no problem with having him there. The washrooms are clean – which is a key to keeping Mom a “happy camper”!

Huntsville and Algonquin Provincial Park are both close enough for little side trips, there are ATV trails close by and on our last trip we were able to visit a small town close by for a wonderful Canada Day fireworks show by the water! There is a bakery within walking distance that is renowned for their baked goods and it has been there fore years.

Many of the people we met were repeat visitors. Everyone was respectful, friendly and the sites were fantastic with trees!

We are looking forward to going back again soon!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Welland, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

My family and I had camped at these ground several years ago as I was growing up and loved it, so when we planned don visiting Algonquin with our own children we decided to go to Algonquin Trails. I had emailed back and forth to Laura and we had tentatively booked a site, she told me we had to book with their online service. I prefer not giving Credit card over the internet so I called in instead. When I called Laura said she was in the middle of cleaning the washrooms but she said "I have your name, I have you email, I will book it and we will see you when you arrive! "
When we arrived for our stay Dan said we had no such arrangements. He then called Laura and she said no, she never made any such arrangements. So that was it... we were wrong and he was right. We should have left but we had driven 4 hours and needed a site so we took a different site. Then it turned out the pricing was all different. We were camping with our family (2 parents and 2 kids) and my parents. To Dan that counted as 2 families, not 6 people. So we had to pay an extra 25$ a night plus for the second car. What were we going to do? We didn't want to turn around and drive home!
The firewood was wet, the furnace on the heated pool was broken, there were no organized activities, I was told I owe him bug time when I buzzed at the store for service. There was just no customer service at all. Dan is rude, outspoken and runs this place like his regime! The gate is locked at 11 until 8 am so you cant get in or out so if you have an early day in mind to go to Algonquin you need to park outside the park. Campers here are not pampered... they are under Dan Rule the entire time. Its a shame because the park is very beautiful.. What happened!

hamilton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Our family had stayed at this campground for years under the previous owners and loved it. This year i called and requested a particular secluded site Laura told me that would be ok when we arrived the next day Dan refused to let us have it I told him his wife said it was ok but he refused again saying we could have our money back but he wouldnt let us have the site (he claimed it was too far to walk for him on his nightly rounds) we chose a site and began setting up Dan came to drop off the wood we purchased and proceeded to tell me he had spoken to his wife and I had never called her!!! He was calling me a customer, a liar and he did it in front of my children I then told him the entire content of the conversation . Laura had told me they had Algonquin park passes that could be purchased for 60% off she said we'd have no trouble getting one on the day we wanted to go in to Algonquin but when I sent my daughter up to the store to get it surprise they were "reserved" for that day!! This campground is beautiful but customer service is a word they dont know Dan was even rude to my children.We are seasoned campers and respect the rights of fellow campers we are quiet and alwaysleave acampsite nicer than we found it so to be treated this way when all we did was ask if we could have a particular site was totally ridiculous. There are no organized activities anymore those who camped here under the previos owners will know what i mean. So if you want to be spoken to rudely called a lair and have your kids snubbed this is the place for you

Western Ontarion
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Hey folks, hope your summer has been going great for the most part (due to lack of sunshine). We I just wanted to bring to the attention of all the camping individuals out there. My fiancee and I were all geared up for our August long weekend like most of you most surely were. But we were not geared up for what was about to take place.

We wanted to revisit a Private camp ground just west of Algonquin Park called Algoquin Trails. It was a great experience for the most part the last time we were there, but this time was the complete opposite. I'm not sure how many of you are actually fimiliar with this camp ground. We started of our Friday July 31/09 like every other long weekend, travelling :).

Well every thing was fine when we arrived and checked it, but as the day went on we started to see why maybe we should have stayed home or just stayed at another camp ground that weekend. We were firstly told off in a very rude and inappropriate manner by the own on Friday about why we had moved his "inherited fire place". We argued for at least an hour or so about the ridiculous location of the fire pit and he became beligerant and used loud swearing most of the time. He also said he did not care if we were paying cutomers and if we were ever to return.

He then proceeded to grab my fiancees arm in a very hostile manner, good thing I was to busy to notice at the time because I was setting up the camp site. This is only the begining of our ordeal. That Friday night we were told that fires were to be out by 12:00 a.m we complied and let our fire burn out.

The next day our circuit for our camp site kept tripping (it was apparently supposed to be a 15 amp site but we couldn't even run a kettle). The owner told my fiancee after having to reset it at least 5 times the "she was more then accommadating" after we complained about their amperage problem.

That Saturday night we told to turn our music off by 11 p.m and we were then told to put out our fire again before 12 a.m. We were going to let our fire burn out but Laura the owners wife insisted on putting it out for us dumping a bucket of water on it. No big deal but she then told us we were to go to bed. Really!!!

The next morning came the pinacle of Algonquin Trails customer service ability, when Dictator Dan came into our camp site at around 8:20 a.m or so with approx. 5 or so men after cutting our power and ordered us to leave the camp or he would have his bouncers throw us out forcefully. We did not comply and he was furious. We had called the police and informed them of what was going on.

The police could do nothing unless DD and his goons became physical.

So long review short. We had expected more from these people but we were sorely mistaken. They shouldn't be running a camp ground with this type of service.

Be careful when booking with Algonquin Trails.

Waterloo Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

I would like to say a big thank you to Dan & Laura for their welcoming smiles every time we come to the campground. They go above and beyond to ensure a safe and happy trip for their guests.

They treat our children with respect, and the park is beautiful. The kids love the pool and feeding the chipmunks.

We have been coming to the park for 7 years now... through rain and shine and have always left feeling refreshed and appreciative.

Thanks Algonquin Trails Resort for another great trip.

The Gibbs.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Slekirk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Me, hubby and our 4 year daughter and 3 year old son arrived at this park to check in and when we walked towards the playground, beside the office, a full grown large golden retriever ran towards my kids without being on a lead or near any body looking in control of the dog. We quickly entered the office and heard the park owner, a man, I forget his name now, he told the dog owner to put the dog on a lead and get it out of the playground. I was relieved to know that this was their method to prevent incident. The people who owned the dog were not friendly and reacted badly to his request, they left the park and were swearing the whole time outside of the office. I am glad they didnt stay, the park was much more peaceful without them. thank goodness some private parks still try to preserve peace and quiet and not to mention safety. The park was one our best stays in the north of Ontario. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Barrie, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Having read the reviews ( even though some of them were bad) my friend and I decided to stay open-minded and reserved a site for us, our three girls and her golden retriever. On arrival, I headed to the office to fill in the paperwork and my friend let the dog out of the trailer to stretch his legs. He hadn't even got four paws on the ground when a voice shouted over to us " THAT needs to be on a leash immediately".

I thought "Oh-oh", but continued into the office where I started to completed the registration form. I was then presented with a long list of rules and regulations regarding the dog, such as dogs are not permitted within 15metres (?) of ANY building and are not allowed to be left alone INSIDE the trailer - " If everyone left their dog in their trailer, we would have 150 barking dogs in the park". Also, if the dog was a "nuisance" we could be asked to leave with no refund. ( wonder what his definition of nuisance is?)

The last straw was his comment about not being there to babysit dogs and he could see ( from our attitude, I guess?) that he was going to have to babysit ours!!!!!

Needless to say, we decided there and then NOT to stay - we would have felt under constant surveillance and I'm sure he would have found an excuse to ask us to leave.

His whole manner was downright RUDE - he didn't know the dog ( it could have been a seeing eye dog for all he knew) and while I can respect that dog owners do have to maintain control of their pets and ensure that they do not spoil the pleasure of others, the dog had done NOTHING to warrant such a "welcome". It was obvious from the get go that he didn't really want the dog, or us, there. So be warned - DON"T TAKE YOUR DOG to this park. That's not to say he won't find something else to complain about !!!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Algonquin Trails Camping Resort? Share your experiences!