“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Church Road, Churchill, Chipping Norton, England
01608 659393
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 restaurants in Churchill
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Moreton in Marsh
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Recommended by a local hotelier friend we called in Saturday lunch time. We were not disappointed. An authentic country pub with a unique combination of local village atmosphere coupled with superb food and service. The food is indeed exceptional - well above the norm. My wife and I had Chicken, Mushroom and Tarragon pie (proper pastry topping), mash and vegetables. Without asking, two bottles of water arrived at our table (still and sparkling). It is impossible to find any fault with The Chequers, but we would like to make a couple of suggestions ? Firstly, side plates and a bread basket left on the table would have been nice (although the bread offered was superb, fresh and warm) and it would have been a nice touch to have olives and a dip on the table whilst waiting for our food. Overall, a wonderful dining experience, so much so we have booked again to return in two weeks time for Sunday Lunch.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Sancreed
“Decent food, great service, outstanding view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have to say I am a bit bemused by the recent reviews from Tripadvisor colleagues which heap such praise on the food at the Chequers since the recent revamp. The menu is by no means innovative and the execution is acceptable but by no means exceptional. I had the chicken pie with overcooked pastry, beans and mash and it was fine but no more. Two of the table had the liver and bacon which was apparently rather more satisfying but that is about the ambition of the menu.

Service enthusiastic but awkward.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“"Inexperienced and 90's trendy" has got it VERY wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I visited The Chequers under the previous ownership and it seemed that the food has been microwaved a day before and the wine was straight from the cash and carry. The decor was not just tired but knackered.

I have visited since on many, many occasions and I'm actually proud to bring my friends with me as the service and staff are excellent. When they're busy (always!) expect to wait a bit but don't expect to be treated as a prince above other customers - everyone is treated the same and we ALL have to wait! ;-)

Children are very well catered for here. One of mine has special dietary requirements and has never once been subjected to the usual London 'Elf an Safety' crap when we ask for food to be reheated.

I have been the last to leave of an evening when I arrived with some friends for a late supper. No pressure to move on and what a warm reception we had from the staff. Very accommodating.

I turned up with a bunch of lads on one occasion and they were asked to contain themselves a little while playing darts - not offensively but with regard to the locals who continue to drink there. This is a place where locals are taken care of and non-locals (mostly Londoners) are well received.

It's a shame the other chap didn't get the swift London service from a non-tattooed side-parting young gent he was expecting but last night when I popped in last night with an Indian friend from South London he remarked to me on our way home at how great it is that the staff have personality and time to speak genuinely with us rather than being aloof and taciturn but bringing the food super-quick!

Welcome to a great country pub!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Inexperienced and 90's 'trendy'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

First thing I thought odd was the inch thick ice covering the three steps up to the main door, highly dangerous, and serious from an H&S POV. That was really bad and lazy to have not cleared this! Attention to detail seemed to be lacking, which points towards the staff's lack of experience. If you are under 30, and are phased and impressed by the 'London thing' or you commute and are still green enough to thing 'Ya I work in Covent garden' and there is a London 'Vibe' then you will like this place, and the staff. Not Cotswold, not traditional in any way, and lacking basic restaurant etiquette. Awful music: Jazz mixed with Jungle. Black painted restaurant, and the staff were all dripping with piercings. Very young staff, lacking in basic social skills. We booked for 8.30 ordered a drink and that was it: no information or instruction i.e. 'please take a seat and someone will be with you to take you through to the restaurant' Time ticked on, and I was not sure whether this was the sort of establishment where you seat yourself? Got to almost 9, and despite being sat directly in front of the Barman, and in full view of the restaurant staff; no instructions or apologies were issued. I settled up for the drinks, and had I not pointed out that I was also cancelling my table, he probably would not have known. He did not seem to know how to react to me saying I was off due to lack of communication and service, seemed really inexperienced and did not say very much at all. Menu is limited and very predictable '90's' Average price per person will be 40.00 per head, which is not what it says on website. You pay extra for potatoes, chips or vegetables e.g. green beans are 4.00. Add this to a steak that is 20.00 and it will rack up. This is the kind of place where they abbreviate Champagne names to feign familiarity: 'Dom' or 'Veuve'?

If you like London Brassieres, staff with piercings, and are under 30 you will love this. Not a Cotswold establishment, no tradition here at all. I don't blame the staff for the bad service and lack of attention to detail, as they probably don't know any different, and I am sure that if you rarely eat out and don't know any better, then you would also not know otherwise, so you will probably love it...no one minds waiting, but 'sorry about the delay, someone will be with you to take you through when we can' is great!! Just got fed up waiting and being ignored, when I am about to have a 100 pound meal.

Please someone feel free to contradict, but they describe themselves as a traditional country restaurant? What was traditional to the Cotswold area? Not the food, the staff, the decor, the music, the atmosphere, the service?

I am sure this will rapidly change hands again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic gastropub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Loved the decor. Good choice on menu with a good range of dishes at a variety of prices. Cheese soufflé was delicious. Can also recommend risotto and the moules. Desserts to die for. Friendly service. Nothing not to like :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Food