“Delightful country gastro pub” 5 of 5 stars

01608 659393
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Churchill
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
UK
“Delightful country gastro pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a delicious lunch with excellent service - original and interesting menu, quick and good servie and a nicely decorated room (quite dark) with comfortable chairs. Easy parking outside. I highly recommend it. Good walks around there too!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Oxfordshire
“Pleasantly urprised local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having been a huge fan of the old Chequers, I was slightly apprehensive about trying the new one. I was disappointed that it is now much darker in decor as I loved the old Chequers style, and, of course, I missed the wonderful Assumpta and Peter... but the food was delicious! The service was good - helpful, polite and attentive.
There was an excellent selection on the menu of vaious tasty items for £10, but, being a special occasion we opted for the venison from the special board and had a fantastic cheese soufle as a starter - top marks for both! I saw no celebrities, (not that I was looking for them) and no hint of some of the rather patronising, "Cotswold attitude" found in some other local establishments. This was very good food, served well. My only concern was the high price of the wine, but it was delicious!
Come on, locals, give it a try - you are not being disloyal to Assumpta!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chipping Norton, England, United Kingdom
“All for the better - sorry Assumpta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The total makeover is all for the better, with improved ambience and decor, together with a new layout that makes the most of the space. The little private dining room above the fireside area is brilliant. Food excellent, Service impeccable. Get down there.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy customers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Assumpta, the previous owners did such a good job it was a hard act to follow, but all concerns were put to rest. I booked a table last minuet to take my mother out for lunch. The refurbished chequers looked great & the atmosphere was good. But more importantly The food was excellent. I would have no reservations in recommending it to all friends & family.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
oxford
“Tricky mix”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having eaten at the "old" Chequers many times and read the reviews before going to the "new" pub I felt we were well prepared for our visit. The place is certainly more funky in a shabby chic style, but no one greats you.... and you have to be in charge of your own visit. We went straight up to the bar asked for a table and took our drinks to the fire side.

The chair I sat on was " antique" as is most of the furniture and fell to bits when I leaned back."Oh, I knew that was broken" said the young man I reported it to...... er yeah and just a good job no harm was done.As the fire was on the critical list I put some logs on.... I hate it when a fire goes out in a pub on a cold day with snow knee deep outside.
Our drinks were fine, and the menu tempting so I had rump steak, Stilton bernaise and chips followed by chocolate pot and cream with a pudding wine, my fella had the chicken pie and shared the pud.
The food was really great.... but the girl that served us was so timid it was unreal. At one point she came towards our table, saw the people next to us also wanted her and she actually turned round and fled leaving us and the couple next to us open mouthed.

The reason people are writing so much about this place is they all want it to be good, as do I because we all loved Assumpta and the old set up.
The new food and ambiance is great and I enjoyed it.
But please someone sort out the staff, because its not cool to have shoddy service, terrified waitresses and fires going out in the grate

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere