“Friendly hotel with good National Park activities” 4 of 5 stars

SUMMER OFFER
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Sauraha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chula Vista, California
“Friendly hotel with good National Park activities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jungle Safari Lodge for 3 nights. Our tour was booked by Mosaic Adventures in Kathmandu. We paid US $210 for the 3 nights in Chitwan. A staff member from Jungle Safari Lodge was at the tourist bus station when we arrived from Kathmandu. The hotel is a short drive from the bus station. Once we arrived at the hotel we were shown to our room and asked if we had any dietary preferences for our lunch. We told them that we are mostly vegetarian, but also eat seafood and chicken. We arrived late so we missed the buffet lunch. They cooked us a delicious lunch of veggies and a piece of chicken. After lunch a guide took us on a short village tour, to the army elephant center, the park's visitor center, a short walk through the park, and showed us a nice place to watch the sunset. Later in the evening we went to the culture show. The auditorium where the show took place was packed full of tourists and hot. The show lasted about 45 minutes and was entertaining.

The second day consisted of an elephant ride that lasted a couple of hours. Our elephant walked alongside another elephant for the duration of the time. We saw some deer and birds, but no rhino while on the elephant. I recommend wearing pants during the elephant ride since the elephant will brush against trees and branches. After the elephant ride we watched the elephant bathing. We opted not to ride the elephant while bathing. It was entertaining enough to watch the other tourists get wet and fall off the elephants into the water. In the afternoon we took a 4 hour jeep ride in the park. Chitwan is such a beautiful place. The vegetation was very dense and lush making it difficult to spot many animals. I am impressed at how tall the elephant grass grows. Half way through the tour we stopped at the Gharial breeding center in the park. They are breeding Gharials in a safe environment and release them into the wild when they are large enough. After seeing a few birds, a wild pig, and some deer we finally saw 1 female rhino after driving around the park for 3.5 hours. She was huge!!! She stared at us for a couple of minutes before running across the road and into the bushes.

The third day was an early start with the canoe ride which lasted about 45 minute followed by a bird watching walk. We saw 1 marsh mugger during the canoe ride and lots of birds. We spent the rest of the morning shopping in the small town. If you want to buy a one-horned rhino carving, this is the place! In the afternoon, we took a jungle walk and saw 2 rhinos, a mom and a 5 year old baby, in the distance. We watched them for a while before walking to the elephant breeding center. According to our guide, the elephants that are bred there are used by the government and army to patrol the park for poachers. Later in the evening, my husband discovered that he had a leech on him. We saw a few leeches during the jungle walk and figured one crawled onto to him them. He didn't find the leech until it let go after sucking lots of blood. He bled for more than two days after the leech dropped off of him. We made good use of our first aid kit during this time! For this jungle activity, I also recommend wearing pants and bug spray to keep the leeches off.

Ram, our guide for the jeep tour and canoe ride, was fabulous. He spoke English well and knew a lot about the wildlife there. He said that he has seen 12 tigers in the past 8 years that he has worked as a guide. Don't expect to see a tiger in Chitwan. If you do, you are very fortunate. The guide for our jungle walk didn't speak English well so we weren't able to communicate much with him.

The staff at the Jungle Safari Lodge was fantastic. All employees that we had contact with were friendly, extremely helpful, and welcoming. Most employees spoke English well. The food in the restaurant was quite good. We have no complaints.

The room that we stayed in was basic, but fairly clean. It was also musty and smoky smelling. Smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but we figured out where the smoke smell was coming from. We stayed in a room on the bottom floor in the far corner of the hotel. If I remember correctly, it was in the Kingfisher building and room #2. It was next to a stable where elephants are kept. During the day, someone at the elephant stable would burn old straw/plant material and most likely elephant dung. Some of the smoke ended up in our room. All of our belongings smelled like smoke by the time we left the hotel. They are doing construction at the hotel. It looks like they are either building or remodeling rooms. Once completed, I think that these rooms will be better than the room that we stayed in.

Overall, we loved the tours that the hotel offered in Chitwan and the staff. They were fabulous. I give the tours and staff 5 stars. As mentioned before the room was very basic and an upgrade to the rooms are needed. 3 stars for the rooms.

If we visit Chitwan again, we will definitely consider staying at Jungle Safari Lodge and will request one of the newly built/remodeled rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear worldtraveller2801, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and other travelers .Thank you for your 4 star reviews with 5 Stars rating for the tours and staffs. I am pleased to hear that you found Ram and other staff to be helpful and contributed to making your stay a memorable and enjoyable experience. I am also pleased to hear that your room was kept clean however I would like to resolve the problem with the smoke from the burning next to our Kingfisher House which you have mentioned here. We’re working on bringing new 15 deluxe rooms by end of November which will definitely meet your expectation. I’m glad that we were able to redeem your trust during your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards
Suman Ghimire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The staff are very unhelpful and uncooperative. They told us safaris were booked up the day we arrived and only suddenly found availability when I told them that I would go elsewhere. Our programme of activity included a cultural programme that never happened.
The food is dreadful. No local cuisine at all but just poor quality Chinese food. I asked for something for a vegetarian and they very begrudgingly made me some daal. For breakfast they then served me a hard ball of frozen milk on my cereal and a sausage on my vegetarian breakfast! Unsurprisingly we decided to eat elsewhere for the rest of our stay.
Rooms are okay bit could do with a fresh coat of paint!

• Stayed October 2012
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear RAI 123, I am extremely sorry to hear about your awful stay with us. We try our best to provide maximum care to ensure all of our guest at JSL gets best service. We have designed our itinerary in such a way that none of the programs are repeated. I would like to clarify that we do not provide any safari activities on the day of arrival. And our day 2 program and day 3 contains all safari activities. We do buffet breakfast , lunch and dinner. Depending on the maximum number of guest belonging nationalities, we prepare food. I am again sorry to hear that our food did not meet your requirements. We are doing our best to satisfy all of our customers. Dear Rai 123, this is the festival time, and 100 percent of our staff are Hindu. Due to the festival time, we also had limited number of staff. This might be the reason for your awful experience. We will take your comments positively and hope you will give us an opportunity to provide no 1 hospitality for your next stay.

Director Sales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I cannot fault this place,the pick up from the airport,the food,the hospitality was all perfect.
The provision electricity and hot water 24 hrs a day was a welcome surprise considering it was winter time in Nepal!
I would definitely recommend Jungle safari Lodge to anyone!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear patu7,Thank you for your 4 star review! I am pleased to hear that you found all of our staff to be helpful and contributed to making your stay a memorable and enjoyable experience. I’m glad we met all of your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chitwan.
Kind Regards,
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

On the scale of frendliness these guys score extreamly high. Very welcoming place. Warm people great food good rooms and good tour guides. What else you want?
If they start a jeep safari, masai mara style then it would be an instant hit with tourist.
These are the only guys who provide life jackects while doing a canoe ride in a croc filled river.

• Stayed August 2012
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear hrbilgi,
Great Review, we are overwhelmed . Thank you very much.Our dedicated team at Jungle Safari Lodge are always welcoming and are friendly. We want to fulfill every needs of our guest. Safety Matters , so we provide life Jackets during Canoe Safari. And our all rooms and premises are fitted with Fire Extinguisher. We hope to see you soon.

Director of Sales
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at Jungle Safari Lodge last year. Now we are back again and we are at Jungle Safari Lodge. We were welcomed to LODGE and treated special from the minute we got out of our car until when we departed.We want to praise you and congratulate you on absolutely everything at Jungle Safari Lodge.
1 All staff, no matter who
2 Food Superb
3 Prices Excellent value
4 Always SPOTLESSLY CLEAN
5 Accommodation CLEAN, COMFORTABLE AND EVERYTHING WE NEEDED
6 Garden - concept an excellent idea.

I forgot to write review last year so I have decided to write review from Kathmandu. You guys deserve this. Will be in touch when I am back home. Thanks to Smile Adventure in Kathmandu for recommending Jungle Safari Lodge last year.

David

Room Tip: Rhino House are Excellent
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear David,
Its our pleasure to have you as a repeated guest at our lodge. Thanks for pointing the good features of our lodge in your review. It definitely helps fellow travelers to know what we are good at. Customer Satisfaction is our main motto. We promise that we will be providing outstanding service and hospitality to everyone forever. We hope you will soon make your 3rd visit to our lodge.

Manitowoc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Life-long memories were created at the Jungle Safari Lodge! Perfect October weather, perfect guides, terrific food, and super friendly staff. Washing elephants in the river, and laying on their backs...that memory will be one the BEST highlights of my life. The fantastic safari riding elephants looking for tigers and other critter was downright amazing, Finding a GIGANTIC crocodile at the water's edge was a jaw-dropper. Seeing the mamma elephants with their babies so lovingly cared for was incredible.

The costumed fire dancers and band provided yet another stunning event for us to savor. Many of us got us and danced ourselves! What a thrilling treat.

At the end of our stay, I so wanted to buy a shirt, but my size , alas, was sold out. No problem, within a few minutes, the manager found me a different shirt, but one I loved even more!

My adopted son of Nepal who was our guide told me our stay in Chitwan was also the BEST! And he lives in Nepal! Now that is saying a lot. It is his favorite travel memory, too.

If you are traveling to Nepal, you CANNOT miss the Jungle Safari Lodge. Accommodations are simple but clean. It is outdoors that will warn your heart and etch memories onto your soul forever.

I am indebted to Earthbound Expeditions for making this incredible experience possible.

Room Tip: All rooms are very close together. Great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear LacimaIII
Thanks for wonderful review here in TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that you had a great experience of Chitwan National Park and Jungle Safari Lodge itself. It is our great pleasure to have you and your friend as a guest . We hope to see you soon in our lodge where our charming staffs are waiting to welcome you .

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at JSL for 2 nights.Landed there in the midst of a bandh and unrest in Nepal. The staff went all out to make our stay safe and comfortable. The chef took special care to attend to us and made some delicious food! Many thanks to Arjun, Manoj and krishna for everything. As someone else mentioned, the 'service orientation' at the resort makes JSL special!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Dear Sumedha S,
We would like to thank you for choosing our property. Very pleased to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay here. I will compliment my staff at JSL for making your stay comfort. We look forward to to provide you hospitality in near future.
Suman Ghimire

Been to Jungle Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!