“The most relaxing and restorative business trip in the States ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa

Offers & Announcements
Enjoy Something Extra
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco Bay Area
“The most relaxing and restorative business trip in the States ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort and Spa is so wonderful I should have reviewed it earlier: I was there on business in the middle of February 2012, staying for three nights. It turned into the most relaxing and restorative business trip in the States ever!

The relaxation began while checking in since soothing Native American tunes play throughout the hotel on its PA system so that in a way, you’re forced to relax. The friendly staff speak in calming, low voices and instill confidence in you in their abilities.

I had arrived early enough on the first day to have a tasty lunch at the Corn Maiden and then to take advantage of their Tamaya Mist spa before the business portion of my trip began, the conference the next two days.

Oh. My. Goodness. They so deserve the Conde Nast award as one of the 10 best spas in the US that I saw an article on when I went to make my appointment (It’s still listed among the top 100 in the 2012 Conde Nast Travel readers’ poll). I arrived early as specified so that I could change into one of the spa robes and sit in the waiting area that had jars of dried fruit, dark chocolate spiced up with chili flakes, and cool water with citrus slices flavoring it. The full body salt scrub was the first I’d had, but how could I resist a description that said native blue corn flour, Anazasi bean, and pumpkin seed were combined with desert salts to rejuvenate the recipient of the massage? Absolutely fabulous. I followed up that treatment noted as being “invigorating” with the native herbal wrap as recommended so that I could relax a bit before dinner. Never had I felt so pampered in my previous experiences with massages or wraps! Like many other women staying there, I returned at night just to use the steam room and Jacuzzi throughout my stay (any guest can do so). We all marveled at the way we relaxed and remained relaxed despite having come from high-pressure jobs and knowing we’d soon be returning to those.

The hotel was very quiet, given the location, a plus when one is attending a conference breakfast through dinner. As some others have commented, the rooms are arranged so that it’s quite spread out; I also had to walk about 5 minutes from my room to get to the lobby, about 7 to get to the conference location. But that’s not an inconvenience and actually not that different from waiting for elevators in a hotel that’s many floors high. I was able to use the cord provided in the room to hook up my laptop so I could get internet, and of course my phone received internet and call reception, albeit while I sat at the table on the balcony looking out at snow-dusted hills and rabbits while I drank my morning coffee. The adobe walls on either side of the balcony prevented those awkward moments of seeing a fellow guest outside while you were drinking in the quiet and calm of nature, which was all I could see from my second-floor balcony (and that’s not a bad thing most of the time).

What I did find a tad disconcerting, though, was the first morning I was there, the security bar for the sliding glass door that I had raised to go outside to enjoy my coffee on the balcony fell—and blocked the sliding glass door from opening to let me back into my room! Fortunately I had my cell phone on me, so I called the front desk, who sent someone to get into my room (with a special tool since the security bar double-locked the door). And my coffee was hot, I was dressed appropriately, and actually I was still relaxed enough from the spa treatments the afternoon before that I just sat there, knowing I would either be rescued by hotel staff or noticed as missing from the conference. I wasn’t giving my presentation that morning or that day, so I could just relax, knowing I had gotten up early enough for setbacks. I was released from the balcony by the worker in sufficient time to shower and still get to breakfast with everyone. But I made sure to tell everyone to take their cell phones onto their balconies, too.

That mishap was a minor blip, making for a funny story, embellished by my telling my husband I thought I would have to send a rabbit like Lassie to go tell people where I was. It truly was a wonderfully relaxing time. At night the warmth of fire pits enabled conversations under stars you could really see as opposed to the way skies look in cities or on fog-covered coasts. By day we could take our breaks on those same patio seating areas to drink in the sights of nothing but nature as far as we could see, such as the Sandia Mountains. If you really do need to get into Albuquerque or Santa Fe, the hotel arranges a shuttle to the train station so you can hop a commuter train to either city 30 minutes away (we did that late the second afternoon to do a bit of sightseeing in Santa Fe). This resort truly made for one location of a business trip that I would happily return to if I wanted a vacation spot for extreme relaxation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
jmm12, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you Dr. SJ! We appreciate for your feedback and so happy to hear that you had such a relaxing business trip. We are honored to receive the Condé Nast best spa rankings as voted upon by our guests. Our Tamaya Mist Spa is a perfect place to be pampered. We were sorry to hear that you had the problem with balcony door in your guest room; however, glad to hear the situation turned into a funny story for you to share. We look forward to having you return when your schedule permits. Warm regards, Jena Marquez - Public Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Interlochen, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We did not like this place at all and would not recommend. Overpriced, Disneyfied, faux-New Mexico, resort. Service was poor. Arrived at 3pm, kept waiting for room until 4pm ("4pm is our guaranteed check in time"), even at 4pm, no Regency Club Room, which I had paid for, was ready, so they put us elsewhere. Regency Club no big deal, not worth the extra money. Valet staff not helpful with shuttle to Casino - very frustrating - and they were quite rude. I don't really understand why anyone would choose to stay here, unless it was free. Bottom line - very poor value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We are truly sorry you were disappointed with the service you received at our resort. Guest service is our number one priority and we regret that you were not provided with the accommodations you expected or the service you deserve. We would like to ask you to please call the resort and request to speak to our front office manager to learn more about your stay so we can address these issues. Respectfully, Jena Marquez - Public Relations Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

This is more than a place to stay... It truly is a place to refresh the body and mind. I attended a conference and was taken back by the well-appointed decoration in honor of the local tribes. The grounds are beautiful and easily accessible for walking, running or just enjoying nature. The staff was very gracious and the polls are great for swimmers of all ages. The spa offers several not to be missed specials and the icing on the experience is the star-filled night, Native American activities and celebratons. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012
Thanks Princesitaazteca! We look forward to having you back at our special resort. Next time you visit, please consider taking one of our guided tour of our art collection and hotel décor or our tour of our Cultural Museum that reviews the history of the Tamayame people from the Pueblo of Santa Ana. Thank you for your wonderful comments. Sincerely, Jena Marquez - Public Relations Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I combined business and pleasure at Tamaya this week. We've stayed at several resorts in New Mexico and this is the best. The food was an updated version of traditional NM cuisine. Room service was prompt and hot as well as delicious. Rooms were comfortable and clean with great views of the mountains and bisque. The spa was awesome. Even though there was a large group there, due to the way the hotel is constructed we never felt crowded. The golf at Twin Warriors is world class. Though there is no need to leave Tamaya, it is a short drive to Albuquerque where there are many attractions including Old Town, great bike trails, museums and shopping. Above all was the friendliness of the staff. I travel every month for business and I've never met a staff that appeared to love their jobs more and truly were glad you were visiting .

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate all your wonderful comments on our resort and friendly staff! Please come visit us again for another getaway very soon. Warm regards, Jena Marquez - Public Relations Manager
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here for one night for a business trip. The hotel was set in the mountains in a very beautiful setting. The beds were comfortable. Room service was prompt. My only complaint was not being able to get cell reception in my room. I would like to go back on a vacation sometime and stay longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comment Leki! We are addressing the cell phone service and should have it corrected very soon. We look forward to having you return to Tamaya when you can spend more time with us to enjoy and experience all the amenities the resort has to offer. We hope to see you soon. Sincerely, Jena Marquez - Public Relations Manager
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed for three nights at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya in June of 2012 for business

Overall this is a very nice property, it has a unique Southwest feel to the resort, and is spacious with great views of the surrounding desertscapes and comfortable appointments in both the common areas and the rooms

Highlights
My room was just a standard room, no suites were available when I reserved or checked in, but it's a spacious room, with a nice desk area, and a very nice private balcony patio with comfortable resort seating.

Pools
there are several pools, including one with a large waterside that was popular with families. You can get cabana's, and poolside service from the poolside restaurant and bar. The guacamole was amazing, and the beers were reasonably priced for a resort. They also have some pool chaises with sun screens, almost like a bimini top for a boat, that were interesting, a little strange to look at, but welcomed due to the sun.

Golf
The Twin Warriors golf course is adjacent to the property, and is fantastic. It is in amazing shape, and is beautiful to play. Tough as hell with all the desert hazards, but a very nice course, with great staff.

Spa
I didn't use the spa, but a colleague raved about it, so I recommend it anecdotally.

Bar
The main bar is great, good staff, wide selection of spirits and beers, and a decent bar menu, including the largest order of Nacho's I've ever seen. Prices are what you'd expect from a resort, but I didn't feel unfairly gouged. Great scotch selection, great vodka selection....their bartender needs to understand there is a Bourbon revolution, and folks expect more than Jack Daniels and Makers mark. Overall though, great bar experience.

Lowlights:
Wireless Internet.....ever heard of it?
There is free wireless in the lobby, offered in the coffee bar/gift shop area. Thank God for that. There is no wireless in the room, and wired is available, but I use a Macbook Air and an iPad, because I'm not a dinosaur....and as a result, no internet in my room. Had I been able to connect via a wire (as if it were 1999), there was a daily fee. I still don't understand why a hotel that charges a healthy daily rate, PLUS a $20 Resort Fee can't give me free wireless internet when every crappy LaQuinta and Fairfield Inn on the planet has figured it out. Note to Management at all nice hotels--Quit screwing us on the Internet access

Bathroom is dated
The bathroom is where the hotel room shows a little age. The sink area didn't have a convenient area for me to hang my travel kit, or have a shelf above the sink as most hotels do now for me to place toiletries. So the counter felt small and cramped. The tub/shower design is standard for a hotel from the late 80's to 90's, step in tub, single shower head, etc. Perfectly adequate, but not what I expect from a "four-star" resort in today's world. A freestanding shower, ideally with natural stone or marble, is what you see today.

The Walk.....
Having not stayed here before, I didn't realize how far some rooms are from the lobby. In some cases, you would have to walk down a hallway, then dogleg, then another hallway, then dogleg, then another hallway, then go out a door, walk by a few outside rooms, then go in another door, and walk down yet another hallway, and then be at your room. Seriously, the place is laid out like one long building, with the Lobby at one end. Thank God I wasn't at the far end, but it was still nearly a 5 minute walk from my room to the front desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as close to the Lobby as possible, or you could be in for a really, really long walk
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback from your recent stay at Tamaya!

We greatly appreciate your highlight notes regarding the pool atmosphere, your golf experience, and the spa recommendation. We were sorry to hear that you had problems with wireless connectivity as this is a service we provide in our guest rooms and is included in our resort fee. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the bathrooms – we will use this when planning our next renovation.

We hope that you have an opportunity to return for a leisure visit that would provide you more time to enjoy our horseback riding, weekly rodeos, spa, nature trails and cultural activities. We look forward to having you back!

Jena Marquez
Public Relations Manager
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a 4 night family celebration at Tamaya, and every aspect was excellent. Each staff member without exception was friendly and helpful. The two young children in our family enjoyed Tamaya Camp, as well as the extensive pool facilities. The food was universally good for each type of venue. The buffet in our suite from The Corn Maiden, the fine dining venue, was excellent and carefully organized and presented. I highly recommend the resort for family vacations!

Room Tip: Rooms with the Premium Mountain view are worth the extra cost, particularly if you take the tram up...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
So glad to hear that your family visit and celebration was so enjoyable! Our Camp Tamaya, pools, and waterslide are favorite areas for families to enjoy the Southwest sunshine and spend time together. Thank you for your nice compliments on our staff and the dining experiences.

Jena Marquez
4.0 of 5 stars 1,177 reviews
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
#47 of 148 in Albuquerque
4.0 of 5 stars 693 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!