“off with the King's House!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Pembridge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Description: With over thirty-five years in the hospitality industry, you can rely on Stuart and Jan to provide a meal to remember.Whether you like a tasty traditional treat or something inspired by restaurants around the world. Jan's creation will not disappoint. Drop in for lunch or book for dinner, you'll receive a warm welcome and the chance to choose from a mouthwatering menu. If you are planning a celebration - for a small party or a romantic meal for two - Stuart and Jan will make it a date to remember. All the food is cooked to order and you may wish to compliment your food with a glass of wine or champagne from the equally impressive wine list. Round it off with a delicious pud, an aromatic freshly ground coffee and home-made chocolates and you'll be certain to leave with a SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND A VERY HAPPY TUMMY.
London, United Kingdom
“off with the King's House!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I dislike bad reviews, as I think they can be quite unfair. I have no choice but to tell you what happened when I tried to eat at this restaurant..

On Sunday 8th Sept, my friend wanted to eat at this restaurant. I had been told by a few people around the village that it wasn't very good, but we decided to try it because of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor - thinking maybe it had improved.. Well it was 7.30pm and we were turned away- the woman told us they were fully booked. I thought it was a bit odd because there was no one in the restaurant 'yet' but fair enough, we left.

The following Sunday I booked a table for 7.30pm, & asked if it was going to be very busy- "you'll make that 2 tables!" was the reply. How funny that it was so 'busy' the weekend before..
Anyway, the man I spoke to was super-friendly and I was looking forward to the meal. The same lovely man welcomed us and took us to our table, where some nibbles were waiting (albeit a little stale). The atmosphere was a bit awkward - the only other two tables weren't chatting, so all that could be heard was the clattering of cutlery and some classical music, but we weren't expecting it to be particularly lively. We were almost ready to order when a woman in an apron stormed over to our table and asked rather aggressively if she was "going to be able to take the order yet?" We politely asked for a few more minutes, and she told us that she wanted to take it because they would be closing the kitchen soon (bearing in mind we had booked for 7.30 - I hadn't been told they close the kitchen at what seemed to be very early, and we'd only been approached once for our order!)
As I was designated driver, I asked if they served wine by the glass and was met with a very abrupt "of course we do, it's all there on the menu" (but even she couldn't find it straight away to point out). She left our table in a huff. My friend was visiting from London and I wanted to show her the lovely Pembridge I know, so I tried making some excuses for the woman (perhaps she's had a bad day..maybe they're closing so early because it's Sunday..)
Then, a little way off from us, the woman began a 5 minute tirade about us. She was SO rude. She was ranting: "they weren't even looking at the menu so I had to go over there.. I'm not going to be taking their order.. I can't deal with them.. I want to close the kitchen.. "

I can assure you, we were in no way difficult customers. I was astounded by her rudeness. I told my friend what I'd heard and we decided it wasn't worth giving them our custom, so we grabbed our coats and I told the man "we've changed our mind. YOU are lovely, but I've just heard everything she's just said about us, and we don't want to eat here now."

My advice to the King's House is to get rid of that woman - or at least don't let her near front of house! It was appalling, and quite upsetting.

My advice to you - don't bother!

Visited September 2013
Jan and Stuart B, Owner at The King's House Restaurant, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I think the best response is that even the least perceptive reader might see that there is more to this review than is immediately obvious.

“Finaly got a table”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been trying for ages to get a table and finaly managed the food was fab the atmosphere was good but the service was a little slow but the food was worth the wait. Will go again

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jan and Stuart B, Owner at The King's House Restaurant, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we enjoyed meeting you both. Your comments are appreciated and we are happy that you enjoyed your visit to us and our dinner offering. We are doing everything we can to address the time it takes to present quality food that is cooked from fresh to order. We are limiting the number of covers that we seat to 66% of our total capacity and opening a little earlier if diners wish to reserve at 6.45pm even. Unfortunately in your case, a table of six guests had taken up that option, and coupled with another table of two, meant that we had already received eight orders as you both arrived at 7.00pm. I was gratified to see that there was no wait between your courses once the meal was prepared, so everything flowed well from then on. However we will keep trying and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Pisa, Italy
“Kings House Pembridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had lunch here on August 5th with a very warm welcome on a terrible rainy day. Excellent menu with wide choice. They were happy to alter set dishes to accommodate our wishes. Fresh vegetables and particularly delicious puddings.I am sure it probably does have outdoor seating but the weather was awful so did not see outside!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind comments. I can only hope that the weather is better in sunny Pembridge the next time you are in our area. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hayle, England, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault The Kings House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

If you want to be spoilt rotten and enjoy a first class meal in warm friendly surroundings then this is the place for you. Stuart and Jan are exemplary hosts and on a visit to celebrate a relatives Diamond Wedding we were again treated to a menu for all tastes wonderfully cooked by Jan. We just love it there and they know we'll be back and back ... and back :)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Jan and Stuart B, Owner at The King's House Restaurant, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for such a glowing review. We hope to be able to "spoil you all rotten" for many years to come !! We are all extremely flattered to be able to be a small part of so many of your family occasions and we always look forward to seeing everyone.
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Perfect Hosts, Perfect food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have been to The Kings House a number of times over the last few years and at different times of the week. Always the welcome is warm and the food cooked to perfection, nothing is to much trouble for the attentive staff, its more like going to dinner with old friends. I would heartily recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates an unhurried, quality, good home cooked meal and I am very much looking forward to my next visit

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post such a nice review. I have passed it on to everyone else that make up he team as we could not do this on our own.