“Lovely setting. Very relaxed. Nice rooms and would return” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kombo Costal Airport Road, Bijilo, Gambia   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bijilo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leeds, UK
“Lovely setting. Very relaxed. Nice rooms and would return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our 8th trip to Gambia but our first visit to Lemon Creek Hotel. I will say straight away that for various reasons we have never returned to stay in the same hotel, but we would definitely return here.

Having stayed all the way along the coast from Cape Point to here at Bijilo we were a little worried about the distance to the 'busy' areas of Senegambia and the newer Plaza area but this was not a problem. There were always taxis available outside of the hotel which would give a good price and it was always a pleasure negotiating, but if you aren't happy a 2 minute walk takes you to the main road for a yellow taxi which is about a pound into town and beyond. Senegambia is 5 minutes away max.

It was my wife's 50th birthday on our second day and the maids and hotel did a superb job decorating the room. Balloons, bunting and best of all Happy Birthday to You spelt out in flowers on the bed. Many thanks!

The grounds in this hotel are fantastic - very well kept. The hotel is on the beach which is probably the best stretch in the main tourist area of Gambia - fairly flat, clean,and not horrifically erroded like at the Kairaba and Senegambia Beach.

We never spend a lot of time in any hotel as we are always out and about and the same applied this time. I can report that the staff as a whole were pleasant, not overpowering, no hassle. I would however agree with previous comments that breakfast staff were more than a little surly - not in anyway rude or unpleasant,just that they seemed unhappy and it seemed to be beyond them to even engage in good morning,.

Having been to Gambia quite a few times and stayed at hotels and guest houses along the coast I really would recommend Lemon Creek to anyone that wants a nice quality hotel on the beach. The main thing we wanted was peace and quiet at night and we certainly got that. The only sound we heard was of the breaking waves.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would recommend this hotel for the first time or the seasoned Gambia visitor.

Room Tip: I don't want to say as I want the same room next time....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful week at Lemon Creek Hotel. From the moment we arrived and were offered a cold drink, to the day we left, we were totally looked after by the wonderful staff, Receptionists who smile and nothing was too much trouble, waiters both in the restaurant and by the pool, the pool attendant, Dave and the maids were all friendly and extremely helpful. No fighting for a sun bed, they were ready for us each day with clean towels. The beds were large and extremely comfortable with mosquito nets. The bathrooms were basic but worked perfectly well and always had hot water. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes. Restaurant was very good value and lots of choice. Eggs made to order along with pancakes each morning.

Monkey World was very interesting, best to have a guide that will be available once inside. We also went on a 4 in 1 day tour with Arch tours, Senegambia, open top land rovers, markets, croc pool, animal market, Lamin Lodge, Paradise Beach, Tanje Fish Market, (a complete culture shock) a local village and fed and watered all day. A brilliant day out. We emailed Arch Tours before leaving UK and they met us at hotel and took us to their office to book a couple of days before the trip. No pressure at all, everything was as promised and worth every penny. Take pencils/crayons/sweets to give out to the children in the compound that you visit, wait to be told when to distribute though.

Windy evenings so ladies take a wrap if you eat outside. The Baobab juice each morning kept the upset tummies away!

We all had a massage and pedicures, best massage we'd ever had.

Highly recommended for adventurous tourists, we didn't take our children and I think that it wouldn't be an ideal location for very young children if you left the hotel to explore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I chose this hotel in Gambia as it looked the newest and most peaceful resort along the coast. Pictures were exactly as reality. The views on the beach, the ocean, the Baobab tree and the lush tropical green garden are the best in Gambia. As it is then also relatively new, a few years old, the buildings also look very inviting. It is about 30 minutes walk along a busy road or along the very quiet beach to the cheaper but more busy Senegambia strip with typical hotels and restaurants in seventies style, even some bars and real gangsta clubs are to be found in this area. The other side of the beach leads as far as one can see only to secluded beaches or you can stop after 30 minutes and see how the Sheraton hotel looks. I already found it quiet dated and it did not have that appealing factor Lemon Creek had. So why pay like 500 Euro for two weeks more ? Maybe if you like the details and the luxury of the Sheraton. Lemon Creek has good rooms, and are relatively clean but of course, they are African or Ikea Style, due to the Scandinavian ownership and management. Doors and windows are not really fitting, not sound proof, airco has sometimes to be paid axtra for depending on which touroperator you are coming with, TV is old and small, Wifi is very unstable and slow but who cares if you come on holidays to Africa ? The views from the balcony are marvellous and for me the best point about this hotel is the odd-shaped swimming pool. Such a tropical feeling it gave me, although kinda cold water but for me it was perfect, very refreshing, in March, I have never seen any cloud during two weeks and temperatures always mild due to the almost constant sea breeze, in the evening due to the winds it could cool down and one needs a sweater or jacket. In the immediate surroundings of the resort is not much to see or do but taxis randomly avaliable at the entrance or at the busy airport road, 4 minutes walk from the resort. Beds are comfortable but I heard some guests, of whom are mostly Dutch, Scandinavian or German, that for them the matrasses were too thin, wich made me conclude that the rooms could really differ from each other: new matrasses or not, African furniture or Ikea furniture,...
About the friendliness then of the Gambian people and the staff. I do not fully agree with people shouting with phrases like the friendliest staff in the Gambia. Was it because I was a solo male traveller ? In the beginning I really had the feeling the male staff did not like me. Maybe they thought I was a sex tourist ? Some examples are that two times at breakfast my things were taken away although I was just ten meters further at the buffet. When I came back, this man was laughing at me. At the beach I asked for towels and only after like twenty seconds there was this reaction like you can get towels at the pool so no problem I went to the pool myself but then they shouted hey man this is my job and then kinda irritated he went to the pool to look for towels for me. I had the feeling they are only friendly to repeaters, it is really a repeaters hotel and then especially to couples. Maybe they can experience the staff as very friendly although I only always heard the three same phrases: Hello, welcome back, how is the family and then they went away... But now after one week it went better with me and the staff as they have seen I was not a bad tourist, althought at breakfast they still never say good morning to me as they do to all the other guests... Maybe I am having an unfriendly face in the morning ? So no complaining at all about this beautiful hotel although I think in Asia people are so much more genuinely friendly than the Gambians, who can sometimes be rude. Some room maids just sat down on my balcony when I was entering my room and they started conversations which made it very clear they wanted to marry me, she liked to have a white man to support her. I found it all funny but some people may not like this behaviour. A last word then about the beach, it is not the cleanest as many Africans throw their things in the ocean but still it is very beautiful, especially at lower tide, it is very large and airy with many birds, some cows and some jelly fish.
Swimming is not advised by the Gambians and they will only go in for washing. Again being a solo male traveller, meeting some friends at the hotel or at the beach, I kinda got the attention of the local tourist police and some men were good, some men were bad and sometimes they came to me on their quad saying things like you are a bad tourist, you only hang around with boys, they should not be on the beach with you etc... Not very nice especially if one is NOT a sex tourist but one can spot so many older men living in flats or houses and going with young girls or boys to the parks along the beach or just sitting at the beach and yes THEY are sex tourists but they not really took action on them ! So local boys who want to come and swim or relax at the beach are always sent away during the day by policemen walking or on quads and they can only come at the beach around 5 PM so they make it hard for the local people to meet with tourists and also get some profit out of tourism and then only the rich people, with Hummers and Mercedes Jeeps and Cadillacs, the beach boys with a license and the nice juice bar boys are allowed... Really please support the local juice boys, they make fresh juices or fruit plates for like 1 to 3 Euros and this is the only thing they make on a full day in the sun !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I went to the Lemon Creek Hotel for 2 nights as part of a business trip. So I gave an average score in price, as I don't know what it is and it's paid for by my boss. The rest of the review is straight out of the box.

The hotel is located at the coast with a brilliant view over the Atlantic Ocean. The is beach as long as you can see to each side. There was literally no people at the beach except for a few local fishermen. The sea is sort of rough so swimming should be done with outmost caution. There is a nice pool though, I just didn't have the chance to try it.

The hotel is very peaceful, although it was fully booked during my stay. It seems like an oasis in the middle of the busy surroundings. The rooms are straight forward, with a/c, a nice veranda and clean bathroom. What else do you need?

The restaurant is actually quite good. Both in quality and quantity. No french gourmet, but a varied menu with both local and global dishes. And it is about the fastest cook I have ever tried.

The absolute best thing about the hotel is the genuine and balanced friendlyness of the staff. If you have been in Gambia you have probably observed that you are approached rather often and intense by the locals. At some point this is annoying, although it is done in a friendly way. The hotel staff knows how to balance this so it turns into a polite and helpful attitude. Well done!!!!

Anything negative? Not really.... Well the wifi is a bit slow, but hey.... there is wifi :-)

So all in all: A peaceful hotel, almost boutique-like, where you can relax, have a good time, and feels very welcome at all times.

• Stayed March 2013
Northallerton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Two weeks of pure relaxation. Managed to locate the Lemon Creek through Thomas Cook, hotel mainly used by Dutch guests and is an ideal base for exploring The Gambia. All the staff at the hotel provided a wonderful service and always with a smile, the hotel location south of the busier Senegambia meant that walking on the beach attracted less hassle from the bumsters. Got to know Happy Alex at the juice bars and found that the other lads respected that we gave our custom to him. The garden setting around the pool was never crowded and sun beds were always available. If you want a lively hotel don't look here, although occasional entertainment is provided after evening meals. All meals were tasty and good value, highly recommend the Scala bar in Senegambia for evenings out. Taxis are an incredible experience, got to know City Boy and used his service several times, very cheap, they wait and don't pay until they drop you back. Did a 4 in 1 day tour with Arch tours, Senegambia, open top land rovers, markets, croc pool, animal market, lamin lodge, paradise beach, tanje fish market, local village and fed and watered a brilliant day out. A beautiful hotel in an excellent beach location will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We spent a week in Lemon Creek as part of a package holiday. Location is great and staff super friendly. Garden is a big bonus... I spent hours in a hammock there. Beach connected, but best beach is a taxi away... Paradise beach. Food at Lemon Creek was good, but restaurants in town are better for dinner. ThemGambian people are the nicest you could meet - be sure to get a driver to take you around.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here at the end of a birding trip wanting some time nearer civilisation and the beach. Lemon creek is far enough away from Senegambia to have a quiet beach ,no bumsters but walkable to the strip for a touch of the tourist restaurants and market. (You can get taxis very easily for the road trip back)
Our room was huge and had a little kitchen! The restaurant was ok and breakfast could benefit from a better fruit selection.
When we stayed the only other guests seemed to be from holland
The swimming pool was very cold and the smaller children's pools were not filled which would have been sad if we had had children with us!
A good place to stay if you want a not too touristy experience in lovely Gambia.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lemon Creek Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!