“Dissapointing Hotel, Amazing Holiday!” 3 of 5 stars

Coco Ocean Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Bamboo Drive | Kombo Coastal Road, Bijilo, Gambia   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Bijilo
Reading, England
“Dissapointing Hotel, Amazing Holiday!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We moved here from Mandina Lodges and were not that impressed despite everyone telling us it was meant to be the best hotel in the country.

We had a Beach Villa Sea Facing which was a nice room, good size with a huge outdoor garden although its under cover so not great for sunbathing.

The shower, for such a large and grand bathroom was tiny though, a little handheld thing that drizzled water out. Weren't impressed.

The first night we went for a drink at a pretty souless bar with the Matrix 2 playing on a big screen which was really odd and didnt suit the ambience of the hotel at all. Service was ok. We then went to dinner in one of the restuarants (spotting a cockroach sat on one of the tables on the way!)

We soon found that there were loads of these huge bugs everywhere and were surrounded by them at dinner...they jump and fly and land all over the place, crawling around...awful awful awfull!

We almost left the hotel it was that bad. As it was we went to the Serekunda Strip down the road (via our awesome taxi driver with his Bob Marley tunes!) and the holiday was transformed! The nightlife, restuarants and bars there are great fun and really busy, welcoming and great value. Highly recommend the African Queen and its sizzling seafood platters.

Back to the hotel, the pool areas are decent, we had a private pool area which was pretty quiet although the whole place does look a bit dated and the sunbeds weren't very comfortable.

Highlight of the time there was helping the local Gambian fisherman on the beach play tug of war with their nets...caught a huge load of fish and even a sizeable shark which was a great experience. Recommend some long walks on the beach too although look out for the pufferfish...I almost trod on one which would have been a bit of a ruiner!

Spa and breakfast were good.

Room Tip: Spend as much as possible as think the basic rooms looked pretty bad and even the Beach Villa we had...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Valencia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Beautiful rooms, nice swimming pool, friendly service... I've been three times in this hotel and I always feel like coming back. Is far from town but there's not much to see in banjul. The restaurant is very good. I recomend the bamboo suites for couples and the vilas for group of friends.

Room Tip: bamboo suites for couples
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed nov to dec 2012 with friends. Hotel great and on the whole staff lovely. I did however have a problem with theft from the safe over what seemed a few days. Both myself and my friend had money missing. Be aware of your safe code and do not open safe when staff in room. I suggest a new code every day . To date our problem has not been solved.
Mary and staff all did their best to help and we thank them. Even after the problem I would return to coco ocean the setting is wonderful, to enjoy your holiday to the full just be careful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Scunthorpe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect on the edge of a far from busy beach our room was spotless and way better than we had expected the hotel had a taxi service which was reasonably priced you could get cheaper if you were looking for excitement (we did a few times and believe me no brakes and seeing the road through the floor was exciting) We did not eat much in the hotel it was a little expensive and we usually prefer to go local there was a huge amount of different places to eat 15 minutes walk along a deserted beach. The only dissapointment was breakfast dont get me wrong it was'nt bad but if you like a huge breakfast to keep you going till mid afternoon you wont get it here. Now heres the thing it was not unusual to see praying mantis in the room this did not bother me and my son found it fascinating but if all insects are "bugs" then you will have cause to complain though bug free hotels in Gambia may not actually exist, also when having a quiet drink on the balcony a fruit bat appeared out of the darkness and perched if thats the word for hanging upside down, in the tree only a few feet away from me that was a fantastic experience for me but if huge bats spook you keep off the balcony at night. The only slight complaint was that they had no record of us at the airport having booked a transfer which meant we ended up being transferred in two cars and Wifey and son actually arrived over half an hour after me which was a bit of a worrying start, everything was ok after that though

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
CUMBRIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have just returned from our annual trip to The Gambia. We stayed here last year - even in the same room as we love Gambia so much ( beach house room 72). What you must remember is that The Gambia is like a third world country, so if you want total luxury -- go to the Maldives or the like, however if you want to experience a whole different culture and be smitten -- then Gambia it is! At the Coco ocean this year 1. The safe only worked sometimes, 2. The lock was u/s on the patio door, 3. They forgot to collect us from the airport, 4. I had to be up at 6 in the morning to secure a sunbed by the pool ( beach houses),5. small bugs in the room. to name but a few things !! The question is will I return --- hell yes!! I did a bit of moaning and most of the things got sorted just wish they old do something about the unacceptable exchange rate and room charges! Now please don't let me put you off this place as there is no doubt that other places are exactly the same and can vouch for that. Without question this is the best place in The Gambia and well worth a visit. We went with my daughter who also loves the place and the people, she is sixteen. I am already looking forward to my next return and hope you all try it for yourself, one word of warning -- if you do you will be hooked!! Don't want to just single out individuals for there great service here as there are so many, but trust me most requests are dealt with very efficiently and without any hassle. Well done Coco Ocean see you soon.

Room Tip: The beach houses offer more room and a more private pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Every year and I mean every year ,I look forward to the Christmas break,not for the presents.
Because it means I'm coming back to my favourite hotel
I was there when the hotel opened and every year it gets better and better
Have I complained yes,did they sort it ,YES ,and thats the mark of a great hotel.
The resort is amazing
The staff the most helpful in the world
The spa (which I used everyday)stunning.
The weather unbelievable
and if I could give it a higher mark I would
Already booked for next year
Farooud. what you have created is the envy of Africa

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Food is excellent & staff is so so friendly. The rooms are very clean. You have no idea you are in Africa. If you talk to locals they will also tell you this is the nest in Gambia. The staff is cleaning all day. We complaint about a room because of noise of neighbours and got without a problem an other one. If people rate this one below average then I would like to know what is good enough for them. For us this was an amazing expierence.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coco Ocean Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!