We booked knowing the beach was very close to one of Uruguay's few "clothes optional" and "gay friendly" beaches. We weren't prepared, however, to be among nudists at the Posada itself. Our fault. The rooms are clean, spacious, but have no air-conditioning, which we believed at $110 a night, should be included. Our four-day stay included three terribly hot and sleepless nights even with the room's door wide open. There is a ceiling fan. The corner rooms (see pictures below) have window panes on both sides making them more illuminated. The breakfast was simple, containing no fruit, but a good selection of home-baked breads. Very small orange juices. The pool is smallish but spot-less. It's size is reasonable for a splash. The owners are courteous. Maybe they would have been friendlier if we had been in the nude. We weren't.
- Also Known As:
- El Refugio Hotel Punta Ballena
- El Refugio Hotel
- El Refugio Uruguay/Punta Ballena
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A different place to relax clothing optional hearing only the sound of wind and sea, waking up with the singing of the birds just 15 minutes from Punta del Este Coming from Montevideo, after crossing the Arroyo del Potrero in km.115,5, 800 mts., the seaward Interbalnearia and in a natural forest close to the ocean in Playa naturist Chihuahua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your El Refugio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.