“The wild hog and family story lol!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Road to Nowhere
Improve this listing
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic drive through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
Pembroke, North Carolina
“The wild hog and family story lol!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

For one we had a wonderful time... 2 we were so amazed to see a black wild hog... 3 my daughter got it confused with a bear lol... 4 She thought it was coming right 4 us which it was...5 Everyone scattered it was so hilarious...I was like don't run don't run y-all... But now if I would've known it was a wild hog I would've been running to lol... Thats were the road to nowhere took me today... what a hilarious story to tell my friends my guy friend was even running lol...

Selma, North Carolina, United States
36 attraction reviews
“kind of creepy but very intriguing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The road is hard to locate so you need to do some google searching and bring a map (GPS might not work). It will also help to look up the history behind the road. Once you find the road, you will see a sign that says "welcome to the road to nowhere, a broken promise 1943-?". That is how you know you are at the right place. The drive is nice and you will come up on some barricades. This is where the creepy part comes in. Beyond the barricades is a tunnel. Beyond the tunnel is the end of the road. Construction halted due to environmental issues. The issues were resolved but the road was never completed. A cash sum of $52 million was paid to the county in lieu of completing the road. You can walk up to the tunnel and you can even walk through it. For more info, check out the link below.

Visited September 2013
Dallas
12 attraction reviews
“Hard to find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is tough to fond by the GPS so we had to go old school- maps and asking locals. The road is Ok, nothing special about it. There are couple scenic views of Fontana lake. The road ends to a tunnel which was pretty muddy so we did not venture inside.
Ok, if you want to kill some time

Visited September 2013
“Bring a map!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Lovely area with great history. We took a quick trip but ended up following the trail out a bit. Turns out we were following a 42 mile long trail instead of the 3 mile trail we thought we were on. When in doubt, bring a map and water. Beautiful creeks and vistas. Nice trail for conversation and thinking.

Visited August 2013
Mishawaka, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
“history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Research the history before the ride up; very interesting. I felt the ride up to the spot seemed more serene and colorful than the ride through the rest of GSM park. The day we chose to venture the drive was a dismal day with drizzle on and off. By the time we made it to the tunnel and into about 50-75 ft, I had to turn around and walk out. My eyes were tearing so bad, it looked like I was crying. I don't know if it was mold spores within the tunnel or something to do with the "leaching of toxins" from the wet rock on other side of tunnel that apparently haulted further road construction. Nonetheless, it was beautiful there. There were many people that brought horses for trail riding. I imagine it is beautiful.

I highly recommend taking the trek through Bryson City(quaint little town), stop and eat and talk with the locals, they are/were very pleasant. For me, the history behind "The Road to Nowhere" makes it worthwhile.

Visited October 2012