“Will not be visiting again!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Will not be visiting again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I visited this restaurant last night with my partner and two grown up children. On walking in the restaurant only had two other diners seated so I thought it would be a pretty fast service. The menus came over and drinks were ordered. On receiving the drinks my partner enjoyed her wine selection, I ordered a Peroni this was served warm. On reading the menu it stated that the lamb choice was fresh lamb fillet, we were advised that this was actually a lamb shank. I ordered the beef casserole, this was a average casserole to say the least with no depth, served with silver skinned onions straight out of a jar; this spoilt the casserole as all you could taste was vinegar from the onions. However that said my partner ordered differently and enjoyed her meal, except her and the children's meals were covered in same sweet onion gravey. I found the service lacking to say the least, if we wanted something we had to grab the attention of the staff or we would have been left. On leaving the staff didn't know which coats were ours we could have taken any!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Not keen sorry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Been a few times. Don't like the food, neither do my friends.
Service hit and miss, won't be visiting any time soon.

Visited July 2011
Hampshire
“Good Food, Bad Service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We ate here for my grandmother's 90th birthday last month.

On entering the restaurant, I could see that the restaurant was full, and there were two large parties of approximately 10 people who it appeared had also recently arrived. One table was looking at menu's and one having drinks orders taken.

We were seated at our table, and waited to have our own drinks orders taken. After 20 minutes, we still hadn't been asked what we would like to drink or been given menus, so we called the waitress over to organise both. Unfortunately it seems that this restaurant does not care to print many copies of it's menu, as at this time, they were only able to provide 3 menus between the 7 of us, so we had to share. After about 5 minutes, drinks were brought with enough menus for everyone, however, we had all decided what to eat by then so wished to order. We ordered, and waited, and waited and informed the waitress we had a taxi booked for 10.30 (giving us almost 3 hours for dinner which we thought would be plenty). Around an hour after we first arrived, we finally got our starters, which were very good as was the rest of the food of the evening which continued to emerge at a snails pace. We ordered dessert and coffee and the bill to all come at once, and were still 10 mins late for our taxi.

It is a shame that they booked three large tables to eat around the same time, as obviously neither the serving staff of the kitchen staff could cope with the covers. Thirteen courses at WD50 took approximately the same amount of time as these three, and that didn't feel rushed.

I would consider revisiting this restaurant should the service improve, as the chef seemed very competent. At roughly £40-£45 per head including wine it was pretty reasonable, though at this price I would expect investment in front of house, including an adequate number of menus!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food served in a comfortable dining area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We went here with a group of 8 family members, including 3 vegetarians. Both the menu and the wine list were first rate leaving us wanting several things off both! When our eventual selections came they were well cooked and full of flavour. The courses were not overwhelming but plenty if you are having 3 courses. All 3 lamb dishes were nicely pink in the middle and very tender In all we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and whilst not cheap, it was well worth it as a treat.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Not up to standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

I have eaten here a couple of times in the recent past and both times it failed to live up to the standards that I would expect from a restaurant charging the prices here. The first time I went with a vegetarian partner and there was only one main course suitable for a vegetarian which was extremely dissapointing for her, in the intervening 2 months the vege option has not changed once, so she will obviously not be going back again !! Also the mains almost always have a supplement to the menu price unless you have a basic chicken or cod and chips! these supplements are often well over the cost of the total ingredients-an EXTRA £5 for a tuna steak, the size of which cost about £2 there are very little veg served with any dish, veg being another extra. The second time I went was with my son, I ordered a pork belly (no supplement but lets face it they are only about £2 a kilo so they couldn't dare) but they had not even scraped the hairs off before putting in the oven. One of the plus points of a pork belly is the crackling but it looked inedible due to the hairs. It was served with NO vegetables whatsoever which is very poor. When I saw a "traditional creme brulee with freshly grated nutmeg" on the menu I thought things might improve but no, instead I was served a freezing cold and disgusting copy, made from a packet with gelatine!! there was no taste of vanilla, egg yolks or fresh cream and no evidence whatsoever of nutmeg, I duly sent it back and expressed my disgust at being served such rubbish. I did not want to spoil my evening with my son so after dessert I ordered a malt whiskey from their list of 3 malts, one from the isle of Islay, only for the server to return saying they had no IRISH whiskey. I replied that I wanted an Islay whiskey, which, at my last check was not in IRELAND. I was told that they did not have that either, in fact they had none of the whiskies on the list. She then gave me a very badly pronounced list of what they did have. I was totally unable to distinguish what she said but ordered one anyway,the server told me "it is really nice!" though she obviously had never tasted the stuff I really do feel that the servers should have some understanding of the food and drink they present, they should also quality check presentation and portioning and feed back to the kitchen if they feel things are poor however I do not feel a 17 year old american stunent has the gravitas to do so. Overall a very poor experience that set me back £60

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere