“Wonderful wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheadle House

You added Cheadle House to your Saves list
Cheadle House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cheadle Royal Business Park | Royal Crescent, Cheadle SK8 3FS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cheadle
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My son chose this venue for his wedding and cannot praise them enough.From start to finish everything was perfect.The staff were lovely especially Steve the wedding co ordinatior who was very helpfull throughout.The rooms were very comfortable and the food excellent.Cant understand why the previous review was so negative as I cannot thank the staff (all of them) enough for making our son's wedding so unforgettable.

Room Tip: We had room 23 and it was huge.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Londonlady186338,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback regarding your son's wedding with us - it was our true pleasure to play host to the happy couples special day!

I will be sure to pass your feedback on so everyone can read what a great time was had by all!

We hope to see you all again soon!

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cambridgeshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Rude staff. Terrible choice of menu in restaurant served on unhygienic nothing more than wooden bread boards.
Have stayed at a few De Vere hotels and they are very good apart from here. Avoid. Devonport House, Milton Hill House Theobalds Park another world from thus shambles. Must be an embarrassment for the De Vere name.

• Stayed July 2012
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sally7216,

I am shocked by your comments regarding your experience at Cheadle House, in particular your reference to our staff being rude; as you can see from previous reviews, we receive very high regard for our staff here at Cheadle House and I am dismayed that you did not enjoy your time with us.

As I cannot locate a comment card or other complaint report directly to us regarding your stay, I have taken the liberty of sending you a personal message with my contact details and would greatly appreciate you contacting me so that I may investigate further.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here as a stop before flying out of Manchester airport 5 miles away. Fantastic value at £29 for a large room with bathroom and large living area. Very functional but at £29 who's complaining. Receptionist was lovely and bar showed sky sports so husband very happy.
I would highly recommend this place and will definitely use again. We had room 10 by the way.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear The-Zeki-Family,

Thank you for your great comments about Cheadle House; we are all delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to give you a relaxed and comfortable start your holiday.

We look forward to seeing you again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here a few nights ago, warm friendly staff, awesome evening food and overall good experience. The only thing stopping this hotel getting a perfect score was the bed and the frustratingly slow internet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear stuartpeck81,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Cheadle House. We are all glad that you enjoyed your time with us, especially the food and service.

I have contacted our provider regarding the internet and would like to apologise that you found it to be slow, however please be assured that this is currently under investigation to resolve.

We hope to see you again in the near future

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've previously had fantastic experiences at De Vere hotels in Northumberland and Norfolk, so whilst I realise that this hotel is part of De Vere's budget 'Venues' chain I was expecting the quality of the hotel and level of service to be at least satisfactory however unfortunately my experience of Cheadle House was overwhelmingly negative.

The room we were allocated had a connecting door to another guest room. This didn't concern me at first, however as soon as our neighbours in the adjoining room arrived and turned on the TV I was awoken and kept awake for hours. This also happened on the following night although it wasn't the TV this time, it was the sound of the other guests sneezing throughout the night. The TV didn't sound as if it was at an unacceptably high volume, it was just that the noise traveled between the rooms so easily. Unless you're a family and actually require an adjoining room there is no way that the hotel should be allocating these rooms given how easily the noise travels, since you're kept awake with the slightest noise and the rooms offer absolutely zero privacy. If you can clearly tell what the other guests are watching on TV, then there is obviously an issue here.

The facilities in the room were adequate, fairly basic furniture, free WiFi was a plus, however over the course of our stay we found the room to be very cold as it only had a small radiator that didn't seem large enough to heat a room of decent proportions. The mirror was mounted high up the wall so that you couldn't sit and dry/style your hair at the desk. There were a few stains on the carpet.

The beds in the room were two singles that zipped together which resulted in a very good size double however I found the beds to be too firm, resulting in a poor night sleep and significant discomfort. After the stay my back was in agony on our long drive home. Both my partner and I found the bedsheets to be very itchy and the following morning my partners eczema was particularly inflamed. Perhaps De Vere should review the quality of their linen cleaning to ensure that the cleaning products/methods used are suitable for guests with sensitive skin. The bed did also not align with the headboard, on top of which was a layer of dust.

As for the bathroom, it wasn't in the best of conditions. The floor and wall tiles were grotty, with a layer of yellow and black mould patches on and between the tiles. Given that the bathroom should be properly cleaned between guests this was disappointing, but not surprising given lack of adequate ventilation in the bathroom. The water pressure was very good although the water temperature did fluctuate erratically.

The corridors of the hotel constantly smelt like cheap air freshener. The hotel staff have probably become immune to the smell, but I would seriously suggest they review how they clean and freshen the corridor areas as it is really very pleasant.

In the mornings of our stay I mentioned the issues we were having to staff, particularly when checking out when I left feeling particularly aggrieved by the unapologetic attitude of the staff member on the Sunday morning who in reply to the unacceptable level of noise from the adjoining room said "oh. well. ok. the hotel has been full this weekend. There weren't any other rooms to put you in". I wasn't terribly impressed by any other interaction with the staff over the course of the stay, at check-in or when our room key-card stopped functioning and I had to get it reprogrammed.

I booked this hotel on a £10 per person deal via the De Vere website, so £40 in total for myself and my partner to stay for 2 nights (Fri-Sun), which initially would seem quite good value although I wish we'd splashed out more and stayed elsewhere. Cheadle House was more 'Tesco value' than 'Finest'. The hotels 'standard' pricing is slightly higher than this but I would feel truly sorry for anyone who pays any more than what we paid, it simply isn't worth it considering the lack of sleep alone.

The only positive aspects of the stay was the breakfast buffet which was very nice and the young male member of staff who chased me through the hotel after I had left my glasses on the breakfast table. This is the reason for giving an overall 'poor' rating, rather than 'terrible'.

Room Tip: Ensure that you don't get a room with an adjoining door. The noise from the adjoining room is t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear amarshall1,

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us regarding your stay. We are all sincerely disappointed that you did not have a fantastic time with us.

I have taken the liberty of sending you a private message so that we can work together to rectify the matters you have raised and work on a satisfactory resolution to your issues.

All your feedback has been passed to the relevant department managers and will be investigated throuroughly. We are sorry you had cause for concern and will happily do all we can to resolve matters thoroughly for you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Stafford, Great Britain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

As a DeVere Venue; this is not a typical DeVere hotel and is very different from the Village Leisure brand, and also the more up-market DeVere properties, such as The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield. I followed the signs for Cheadle Royal from the M56, and after a rather tortuous journey arrived at the hotel, which is not well signed within the business park. Other delegates arrived by train; the nearest station is a 30 minute walk away, and taxis must be ordered by telephone. I was warmly welcomed at 2050hrs, and allocated my room, 13 on the first floor. The room was spacious and comfortable, with opening windows.

I had a 3 course dinner in my DB&B tariff that was excellent, being tasty and nicely presented, and the waiting staff were first class. I slept well, and had no problems with aircraft noise; I am unsure exactly how far the hotel is from the airport, but in the Venues brochure it is described as at "Manchester Airport".

My business meeting was in a pleasant, well lit room; my only disappointment was that there were no water bottles and glasses on the table; for refreshment, delegates had to visit a separate area along two corridors.

Within a 10 minutes walk are a very large Sainsbury's and a John Lewis store.

I look forward to using this hotel in the future, and can recommend it unreservedly. I cannot comment on the price for the facilities, as these were pre-paid by the organisers,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear WilliamRead,

Thank you for your exceptional comments regarding your stay here at Cheadle House. We are delighted that we made the event run smoothly for you and were able to play host to you and your colleagues for your time here. Your comments are a true testament to the hard work and dedication that everyone here puts in to every minute of every day and it is truly fantastic to receive such high praise.

I have passed your feedback regarding water for meeting rooms on to our operations team here as it was in no way our intention to have you feel inconvenienced or disappointed during your time with us. We do have water coolers provided in the majority of rooms and I apologise that we were unable to provide one in to every conference room during your visit. We are looking at investment and contingency in this area and your feedback will enable us to ensure that we are retaining our market-leading position for conference spaces across the De Vere venues brand.

We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next visit.

Nottinghamshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here on business.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were warm but with minimal basic furniture, so this is not your typical devere where I found the rooms to be plush and well furnished.

The biggest dissapointment for me was the evening food, the cost is reasonable for a business hotel, and the choices were ok, but the portion signs are rediculous. For anything other than I child you are left starving unfortunately. Great for my diet though.

The photos are misleading, you would think the hotel was a fantastic country house in the middle of vast grounds, but really its a modern building with a old frontage right in the middle of a business park. Nice enough though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear GSP1984,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Cheadle House; I am particularly happy with the comments regarding our team here as everyone is so passionate about the service we provide and it is warming to know that this is reflected in our service.

We are obviously disappointed that you were unhappy with the portion sizes and I can assure you that this has been passed on to our Head Chef to review portion controls within teh kitchen and work to avoid any disappointment in future.

As you rightly advise, our rooms are focused toward business owing to the main bulk of our guests being conference delegates; as a De Vere Venue (as opposed to hotel or resort) we work towards providing comfort and function and I hope that whilst you felt the room to be basic, that you found it to be comfortable and to your satisfaction.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future

Kind Regards

Been to Cheadle House? Share your experiences!