“Nice lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Darwen
“Nice lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Business lunch with colleagues, large and varied menu, pleasant and comfortable surroundings, surprisingly busy for a wet miserable Tuesday.
Service good but food did take a while to arrive, fair standard and reasonable overall value.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Milly's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I only use this pub (locally known as Milly's) to drink in as there are better ones in the area in which to eat and I always found it expensive for what was on offer but as a pub it's one of the best in Cheadle Hulme. It has had many guises over the past forty years but Hydes Brewery did a fantastic job when they took it over and extended it considerably without losing any of its former charm. The pub itself is cosy and outside is a fantastic seating area at the front and side with under heating parasols for chillier days.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visited tonight as a last minute treat, my husband, daughter 17, son 13 and myself. Had booked a table about an hour before so only had to wait a few minutes to be shown to our table. Ordered drinks as we were seated and they came after a few minutes as we were ready to order. Starters came quite quick but there was quite a wait between starters and mains, the food however was delicious and worth the wait. The blackened sea bass with wild rice was one of the nicest sea bass I have ever tasted. Well worth a trip but make sure you book your table as there were a few in front of us who hadn't booked and had to wait quite a while.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This restaurant is very good, he food is amazing but he only thing that let them down was the timing! It took ages for the food to come down to our table! Well it was well worth the wait as the food was magnificent!!

Chapel-en-le-Frith, United Kingdom
“Not up to scratch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Been here many times and given it a good review. My last visit was well below standard. Two small baked potatoes that came with the chilli were over microwaved and the bottoms had gone solid. My two friends were disappointed with their cheese and potato pie dish served with a mean portion of mushy peas and chips coated with bits of burnt yuk.

We were unanimous in giving this place a miss in the future for our monthly catch ups and will look for a new place to visit.

Not keen on getting my own cutlery as it can be contaminated by others nor I am I impressed with little pots of mayo etc left near the cutlery without cover or refrigeration.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Amy C, Manager at The John Millington, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. From what you have described, the standard of your meal was certainly not what we would normally serve and I would be interested to know the date and time of your visit so I can investigate further. As you say you have visited many times in the past and enjoyed your food, so if something went wrong during your last visit we need to identify if there are any changes we can make to ensure that the same thing does not reoccur.

In response to your comments, our jacket potatoes are oven cooked to ensure that the skin is crispy, but they certainly should not be hard. Our mushy peas are served in 100g portions as standard, but if a customer requests more, we are happy to oblige. Our hand cut chips are fried to order, but I am unsure how they could have been burnt as all dishes are quality checked by both our kitchen and service staff before they are taken out to the customer. Had these issues been brought to our attention at the time we would have offered you replacement meals without question.

We have recently changed the storage of our sauces which are now in sealed and refrigerated containers. I accept your comments regarding the cutlery and will look in to introducing a better system.

I am very sorry if you feel that you will not visit us again following this experience, which is understandable. If you would like to contact me personally via email at thejohnmillington@hydesbrewery.com I would be more than happy to discuss the issues further.