“Peace in the Somme” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maison Warlop

Maison Warlop
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fresnes-Mazancourt
Maison Warlop
You added Maison Warlop to your Saves list
80320 Fresnes-Mazancourt, France   |
Devon, England
“Peace in the Somme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

We have stayed at Maison Warlop several times in the last few years, most recently in 2008. It is located in a very peaceful area, yet within easy reach of the motorway network. It is handy for those travelling to/from Boulogne, being only 90 minutes away. Martine is a fine cook and hostess and we have enjoyed many evening discussions with her and other guests over dinner and a few glasses of wine. Dinner is always preceded with an aperitif, in the garden if sunny, where the fresh herb garden gently leads into the fields beyond, and which are used in her local cooking. The food is always freshly cooked, and varied, with delightful desserts following on from a variety of cheeses. Breakfast is typically French, with the added delight of fresh scones and her own preserves.
We chose to stay initially because of the unusual architect designed house. The huge double height living area with a glass wall facing the garden is a wonder. The bedrooms, with en-suite, including baths, are clean and comfortable.
We have always enjoyed our stays and found we are in good company, with many repeat visitors from around Europe and further away. It is a fine place to stop whilst visiting the Somme, en route from the channel ports, or just to relax in the peace and quiet of a country village. Add to this the reasonable cost for a room and meal, and we would not hesitate to recommend it to those seeking a pleasant, friendly and modern place to stay

• Liked — Peace, friendliness and reasonable cost
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lauresses, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

We stayed at Maison Warlop to break the journey from our home in SW France to our daughter`s home in Holland for Christmas. This was not our first stay with Mme Warlop and we knew that we would be warmly welcomed.
Mme Warlop is very thoughtful and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and there is always lots of hot bathwater,
The meals are really good and often unusual. Mme Warlop will always give the recipe if asked.
Mme Warlop speaks fairly good English and enjoys using it when necessary
We would recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to stay in the Somme; it is one of our favourites.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

I visit France and Belgium frequently with my wife or friends to pursue my interest in the First World War. I always stay in B & B's.
I have stayed at Maison Warlop for 2 or 3 nights at least 4 times over the last 2 years. I have always found Martine Warlop to be an attentive, polite, helpful hostess and a very good cook. I hope to return again soon and have no hesitation in recommending Maison Warlop to my friends.

• Liked — private facilities, quiet. good food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

This was our second visit to Maison Warlop. The first had been a few years ago but we'd always wanted to return. Our return visit was with some trepidation - places change and the memory can play tricks. We needn't have worried though. It was everything we remembered, and more.

I am always conscious staying in a Chambre d'Hote that I am a guest in the host's home - indeed this a large part of its appeal. And Martine is a wonderful host: quietly spoken but friendly and engaging. Although I tried to get by with my idiosyncratic French, once I faltered Martine was very happy to chat with us all in fluent English.

The building is quite striking, and in spite of its bold, contemporary late 20th century style it blends beautifully into the rolling countryside in the heart of a peaceful small village, right next to the church. Inside the house is equally impressive, successfully blending a crisp modern look with a more traditional simplicity.

The rooms are extremely comfortable. We are a family of four and had adjoining rooms - a double and a twin: an ideal arrangement with two children. Better still, the beds were extremely comfortable and, with the quiet location and shutters, contributed to a great night's sleep!

We ate our evening meal with Martine and shared breakfast with a number of other guests too. The food was simple, but delicious; not what you might expect from a hotel - far better! More what you might expect staying in the home of a very competent cook.

The location is convenient too. Handy for a stopover back to the channel ports, but a great place to explore too. It's not far off the autoroute, but far enough not to be disturbed by the noise. It is a great opportunity to visit WWI battlefields, memorials, cemeteries, etc. too.

Finally, the cost.. What amazing value! We've stopped in some 'fancy' hotels and this knocks spots off places many times more expensive.

To summarise, if you're happy to sign-up to the Chambre d'Hote approach then, in our opinion, it doesn't get much better!

• Liked — Comfort, Welcome and Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Malvern, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

A chambre d'hote not to be missed. The ambience and special character of this magnificent architect designed house provide a venue for memorable food and conversations unobtrusively guided by Madame Warlop the owner and chef . The rooms depict a rare minimalist touch that speaks of restrained design excellence. The main lounge with its huge windows and selected furnishings provide the setting for excellent local food lovingly prepared and enjoyable dinner conversations with fellow travellers from around the globe. My wife and I have made it a special point to visit this place at least once a year since it opened. We now, as a matter of course, arrange our travels in France so that we are able to visit Martine and her fabulous house. At the end of a long days touring a true home from home.

• Liked — The totally unique quality of the house, owner and location.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Leicestershire, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Whatever you do DO NOT STAY AT THIS BED AND BREAKFAST. It is the worse place I have EVER EVER stayed at. I am a French speaker and have stayed at many many bed and breakfasts in my time but do not go to this one. I booked it back in January 08 to stay for 5 nights in July/August and it was recommended in the Alistair Sawday book but I have written to them about our treatment.. When we booked the owner seemed personable but, all was not as it appeared. We were a party of 7 adults and when I say adults I mean 3 people aged over 35, 2 people over 65 and the other people over 70 (family group). Not your lager loving 18-30 typical brits I think you will agree!!
We arrived in the evening and, for ease, had pre booked an evening meal there, with promises on the website of a gastromonic delight. How wrong we were! The owner, Martine greeted us with a dis-interested 'hello' and wet handshake and then proceded to take us to our dingy rooms by saying 'first room' 'second room' etc. I asked in French (as I speak the language) at what time we could have dinner and was told 8 o'clock which was fine. At that time we sat down to a sparcely decorated(?) table and were told that she had not bothered with a starter but had given us another 'meat' instead. Nice attitude. The dinner consisted (for 7 of us) of a small plate of cold chicken, pork, lentils, cold cauliflower, a small basket of bread and mushroom terrine. Disgusting. This was then followed by a small plate of cheese WHICH WE HAD TO SHARE and that was it. The 2 bottles of wine were okay but at 25 euros per head it was a rip off.
The b&b then went from bad to worse: no beds made during our stay, no towels changed, we had to resort to sharing toilet rolls as none were offered. There were also large 'no food or drink' notices in the rooms which is also worrying when you have oaps in your party who need to take tablets and 2 diabetics.Breakfast was a joke - a small basket of bread to share between 7 and having to ask constantly for extra coffee, tea and even butter. Nothing was offered in this place at all.
The 3rd day the foul owner took me to one side and in French gave me a rollocking for not locking the door WHEN WE WERE INSIDE THE BUILDING as she said 'anything could get stolen'. I thought I was the paying guest....... obviously she did not want us there. The worst few things were still to come:

The third evening when we were sitting around the 'communal large table having a chat and some drinks which we had bought. The owner Martine came in, glared at us, and then AT 9.40PM TOLD US SHE WAS GOING TO BED AND THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO MOVE FROM THE LOUNGE BECAUSE SHE WAS TIRED. The rudeness of this woman had to be heard to be believed.
Also I got a rollocking from the woman for putting rubbish in the rubbish bins outside because 'I then have to take them all into the town to empty them' (quote) and for the fact that I had left a light on in the lounge the night previously whilst walking throught, trying to get something from another of the party's room.
Lastly on the final night the foul woman made us all walk around in the dark to speak to members of our party as 'she wanted to sleep' and it was keeping her awake (at 10pm). As mentioned earlier all bar 3 in our group were old and I myslef am 5 months pregnant - if I had have tripped I could have lost my baby. She knew this but did not care.

This woman is dreadful and we all got them impression that she wanted our money but did not want us there. Avoid avoid this terrible place with a terrible owner. DO NOT EVEN COMPTEMPLATE GOING - FIND SOMEWHERE THAT IS FRIENDLY AND WANTS YOUR CUSTOM.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
martoune, the owner at Maison Warlop, responded to this review, January 23, 2009
I do not read regularly Trip Advisor, because when you try to do your best in your job, you do not need to be worried about what people think about you. I've just read the comment written the 6 th August 2008. It is always strange when people say everything was wrong with so many details. I have a lot of regular guests coming with Alastair's sawdays guide book and it seems they are always happy to come back. There was an misunderstanding about that booking and I explained that to "the plaintiff"" : there is a difference beetween a bed and breakfast and a gite ; you do not behave on the same way, because at the same time, it is my house.
Martine Warlop
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

This was just a place "on the way" to stop and sleep for 1 night. It turned out to be an excellent place - far above our expectations. We drove here all the way from the Beaches of Normandy expecting to arrive around 8:00pm or so. As usual we got lost, turned around and didn't arrive until 11:00pm. Yes, it was rude for us to arrive so late, but it would have been even ruder to not show up at all and just choose someplace along the side of the autobahn to sleep.

The hostess was as nice as could possibly be expected when guests arrive so very late. She quickly showed us to our rooms and we quickly and quietly went to bed.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and had good furniture. All of the rooms open up into the center of the huge house into a common area - I guess you could call it an enormous living room - the size of a small gym. The architecture is impressive and the surrounding country side is indeed beautiful. There is a big yard with nice little flower and vegetable garden which I truly wish we had planned more time in order to fully enjoy.

The hostess had asked if we wanted to have dinner upon our arrival, but knowing that we would be late we declined - but definitely WISHED we could have because I'm sure it would have been wonderful! The breakfast that she served was all homemade breads, rolls, muffins, jams, juices. It was wonderful, and we also got to meet several other travelers as we all sat at the breakfast table.

This place is a gem even if it is a bit difficult to find. Do yourself a favor and arrive early enough to enjoy the dinner and the countryside

• Liked — The coziness of a house.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maison Warlop? Share your experiences!