“Excellent excellent excellent..............” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Tin Roof

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Riebeek Kasteel
Red Tin Roof
You added Red Tin Roof to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   23 Hermon Road, Riebeek Kasteel 7307, South Africa (Formerly Traveller's Rest)   |
“Excellent excellent excellent..............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We visited Cape Town for 2 weeks in January 2013 what a fantastic surprise this place is Traveller's Rest is in beautiful settings and a beautiful Village feel, The owners make you feel truly special, the decor is gorgeous and tactfully done, well what can i say about the accommodation except I give it a five star,clean, fresh, wonderful decor so tasteful and the linen is to die for, Michael cooking is exceptional and every detail and need is catered for. Without going on I would definitely give this five star, well done to George and Michael for giving us this wonderful surprise in a little corner of South Africa.

Room Tip: I would definitely book in advance, and this is well worth a trip and visit, all the rooms overlook...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cala'n Porter, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

During our stay in South Africa we normally venture outside the Cape Town city centre and head for some peace & quiet one of the weekends and boy did we make a great find here.

On arrival to the Travellers Rest we were meeted & greeted by George Heathcote one of the owners and taken thru a lovely peaceful garden with pool to our rooms.
The rooms are actually suites as they are big in size and attention to detail was noted as George talked us thru the amenities & details of Travellers Rest.

Our afternoon was spent in the beautiful garden around the pool area reading books and drinking some lovely local wine which the staff served us with no problems and all during the time we were there felt totally relaxed and pampered as the staff kept our wine bucket topped up with ice .

As my partner & myself did not know the area we had booked an evening meal with George at a cost of Rand 120 being £9 sterling for a three course menu and were not expecting such a culinary delight for the cost because if we were in London this would have been £30 per head !!!

Michael Clarke is the Head Chef and I can honestly say even having just 3 choices of Starter, Main & Desserts these were of brilliant standard all presented like a Michelin Star establishment.
Just to say my Duck main course was one of the best I have had for a very long time.

Our morning of departure we sat in the courtyard garden under the trees where George came long with breakfast menus and again we offered three kinds of juices, teas, coffee and a delightful dish of fresh fruit, yoghurt & muesli plus a choice of cooked breakfast being full English or some lovely Smoked Trout with eggs , I can honestly say that these two guys know how to look after there customers and nothing was to much trouble from start to finish... Well done Travellers !!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is simply the most beautiful place to stay...peaceful and elegant, with excellent, considerate service and a wonderful warm atmosphere. Our extended family stayed in Traveller's Rest, hiring all the rooms for the weekend, and it suited our needs in every way. The hosts were kind, thoughtful and proactice. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and they went out of their way to help our friends who were also in town, who were not even staying with us. I would recomment Traveller's Rest without hesitation to anyone wanting to enjoy Riebeeck Kasteel, which is simply a delight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend in London had told me about this little jewel called Traveller's Rest tucked away in in sleepy Riebeek Kasteel. When I arrived I was greeted by the owner George, a very friendly, helpful fun guy. I immediately felt at home. The dining room was charming this lead onto the garden and pool area which also had dining facilities. The 4 rooms were at the end of the garden in a private section. It had a great communal area with an honesty bar and seating plus books and info on the local area. The rooms were fantastic. A great size with en suite shower room and fabulous views of the gardens. Quiet and clean - just perfect. No TV but who cares?
The food was nothing short of spectacular and faultless. Michael, the chef is truly a find.
A charming little bar area and the guys could not have been more hospitable.
You'd be mad not to book in at this guest house it;s also very reasonable priced. What a find and what a bargain!! I'll be back soon....

Room Tip: I viewed all 4 rooms and they were excellent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Have stayed often and every time it gets better.

Hosts George and Michael cannot be more accommodating - they are the most wonderful hosts !

The Guesthouse is perfect. Each room is beautifully decorated and lavishly appointed. The honesty bar is a big plus and not having to sign bills all the time contributes to a very relaxing stay.

My wife and I travel in SA extensively and also eat out a lot and have to say that the cuisine at Travellers Rest matches that of any of the best around Cape Town.

The pool area is very inviting and so pretty when lit up at night and the establishment being on the outskirts of town just makes it the ideal situation.

Writing this note makes us want to return this weekend.

Susan and Bruce Fairlie

Room Tip: Impossible - every room delightful
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Franschhoek, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We took the place over from the Friday evening, till Sunday. George and Michael made everyone very welcome and we felt so at home. Friday they catered for about 65 of us, a fantastic braai. They then accommodated the groom and the groomsmen on the Saturday away from the bride and her bridesmaids. Breakfast every morning was so delicious. A very special treat for me, Mother of the Bride.

i can only highly recommend staying there. Nothing was too big to ask for. George and Michael, absolute treasures.

Room Tip: All the rooms are magnificent, we took all four of the rooms for my daughters wedding and we all lov...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

On a recent trip to Cape Town, I took a journey to Riebeek Kasteel and stayed at this beautiful little guest house. It was a relaxing experiene from the minute I walked in the door. Michael and George. the owners were the most gracious hosts.
The rooms are quite large and luxuriously decoarated The bed was so amazing, I did not want to get out of it
The food was delicious from a simple burer on one night to the grilled King Klip the next. The bar had a friendly mix of locals and other visitors from around the world.
I had a wonderful time and cannot wait to return on my ext trip to South Africa. Michele

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Red Tin Roof? Share your experiences!