“Must Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Santa Barbara
Los Angeles, California
“Must Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 blissful nights and 5 amazing days celebrating our anniversary at Finca Rosa. This is a must stay if you are planning to visit Costa Rica. Barbara was wonderful and responsive during the reservation process and had great suggestions. We stayed 1 night in La Ventana and 3 nights in the beautiful Finca Rosa suite. The rooms are all so unique and spectacular in their own way. The owner really thought of every little detail. The staff here are world class. Toto and Carlos at reception were a blast to hang out with and made sure we got to do everything on our itinerary. They arranged for transportation and even a bagged breakfast when we had to embark on our all day rafting tour at 5:30am! We were wandering around 1 morning after breakfast and found the on-site chicken coop. One of the workers welcomed us right into the coup to pick up the chickens and take pictures! Coffee tour is a must even if you don't drink coffee. We had quite a few meals at their on-site restaurant, El Tigre Vestido. Everything on the menu is delicious, especially their seafood soup and ceviche. Omar, Jorge, and David were the main servers we had the pleasure of meeting. I would also recommend arranging for the Paos volcano tour through Finca Rosa. The guide they have is really knowledgeable and you stop for lunch at a family owned restaurant near the volcano. Food there was the best typico lunch we had during our CR trip plus refillable organic strawberry milkshakes. All I can say is every couple should spring for the Finca Rosa Blanca experience at least once in their traveling adventures. I'm so glad we did!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Scao; I am so glad you stayed for 4 or 5 days- this is really the best way to experience what we have to offer. We are a destination and can cater to all of our guests needs and wish lists. I read from your comments that you love food as much as we do, and in particular the organic fresh eggs from my girls (the hens) are delicious and also are another addition in the sum of the details in our culinary arts which we concentrate so much on at El Tigre Vestido Restaurant on the premises of the hotel. And of course, our organic shade grown coffee and tour is part of this profile which we are dedicated to. I am glad you booked the tours through us, as our guides are second to none and they do not take commissions or steer our guests anywhere except authentic quality places to see the real Costa Rica and meet the wonderful Ticos who live here. Interpretation through good guides is one of the many attributes which we find essential for a quality experience and I am so glad you really took advantage of this while staying here. Let's plan on some new experiences for your next visit!

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week after our wedding. We absolutely loved it! We were picked up by Carlos and David at the airport very promptly and taken to the resort.

The staff is wonderful and were great at booking trips or transportation. I would recommend using their guides instead of renting a car, for anything around San Jose. It may be a little more expensive, but the insight into the area from the guides are worth it. We also loved that the guides would stop at local places to eat a snack or meal on the half day or whole day tours. The food at El Tigre is amazing and was one of the best we found in Costa Rica. Word of advice: the other restaraunt they suggest in Santa Barbara is El Rancho, do yourself a favor and just splurge on EL Tigre. El rancho's food is blah and tasteless.

We had the El Ranchito master suite for a week and loved the semi outdoor shower/tub that it had. We went during the "rainy season" but found that the mornings and afternoons were mostly dry. We would highly recommend staying here! Our only regret is not getting a chance to do the coffee tour.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ColumbusGal; We really appreciate your observations and kind words. You really took advantage of our possibilities here and I am pleased you stayed for a sufficient amount of time to take advantage of our activities, the relaxation and the food experiences.We agree that having a bilingual knowledgeable guide is priceless; they can educate you, find authentic places to experience and also you don't need to think about anything other than the sheer enjoyment of your activity. Our guides are hand picked for their knowledge, kindness and charisma and some have been with us for many, many years (Manolo has been with us for 17!). As you mentioned, what some people call the "rainy season" and what we prefer to call the "green season" is a great time to travel because as you mentioned, the mornings until after lunchtime are usually gloriously beautiful, sunny and teeming with wildlife. Everything is lush and green and there are less people visiting so it is easy to move about and to make last minute.
Thanks again for writing in about us.decisions.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Loved how peaceful this coffee farm was, the beds were comfortable and the climate was perfect with cool nights! The owners and the staff were all super helpful and kind! Overall a great place to spend a few nights!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David; Thanks for taking the time to write and and for your very nice comments about our small inn and coffee plantation. I sincerely hope you will come back again soon and stay for several days.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Before we left for our trip, I found that this hotel was on the "Top 1000 Places to See Before You Die" book... I thought that might be a little of a stretch, but after staying there for four nights, I would easily say it is in the top 100 places to go.

In addition to the immaculate, beautifully-appointed, and traditionally decorated rooms, we found the kindest, most genuinely wonderful people. I think the staff of the hotel had a better idea of our itinerary than we did. They put such care into helping us with everything from coordinating transportation, to accommodating our vegetarian diets, to ensuring we made our flight on time. Frequently, when we asked for something, they had already scheduled or taken care of it for us.

The guides and tours they provided us with were far beyond anything I could have imagined. The guides were trained, very knowledgeable, and so, so kind.

There was one night we stayed that the hotel was not terribly full, yet each table was set, all the candles were lit, each napkin was folded, and they started the fire place for just my husband and I. We couldn't have been taken care of better.

The location is great too-- they are located just far enough from the city that it feels relaxed, but close enough to make the airport less than a 30-min drive. All the destinations you could want are within an hour or two drive.... I would definitely recommend staying here and then just taking day trips.... it is the most beautiful place and I doubt you will find better service anywhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms- La Piedra and El Cafetal... both were beautiful! You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Megan; Wow, thanks for putting us in the top 100 places to go! We are flattered by your comment and we actually did just win the "Best Hotel in Central America" Reader's Choice Award from Conde Nast Traveler, so we are really flying high with that and of course all of our guests kind words written here in TripAdvisor. As you mentioned, we are in a perfect location-; just a few kilometers from perhaps the best cloud forest in the country, access to three volcanoes, the oldest Central Market in the country and all of the coffee, arts and crafts and authentic pueblos and small towns. Actually, our hotel is almost exact center of Costa Rica geographically speaking. I am really glad that our great staff took such good care of you- as that is what it is all about when we travel, right? We want to have unforgettable authentic experiences and be pampered. I hope you will get back here soon!
Enid, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

What an incredible experience. This was our first trip to Costa Rica and like others we wanted to find a place that was semi close to the airport before we headed to the rest of our trip at Nayara. We were picked up by the resort and arrived within 30 mins. We were greeted with an incredible beverage and real authentic friendliness. It was such a beautiful resort- We stayed in a beautiful room that looked over the entire city- it was unbelievable. The food was GREAT and the Coffee Tour was unforgettable! So informative and FUN! The grounds were beautiful! We will DEFINITELY stay here again on our next trip to CR!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear IamSarahE; Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at Rosa Blanca! We hope you do come back and please try to stay at least 4 or 5 days so we can really show you all the activities and tours we have available, not to mention the relaxing you can do just staying on our grounds and swimming, eating, massages and walking.Please let us know when you will be returning.
Los Alamitos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Oh my gosh! I don't know if I can ever say enough good about Finca Rosa Blanca .... But if you ever have a chance to stay here, please don't pass it by! We recently spent two nights at this gem of a property and it was perfect. After 8 days exploring Arenal and Manuel Antonio National Park, I was looking for a place to spend our last two nights in Costa Rica before heading back to California. I was traveling with my husband and 19 year old son, who is totally into organic everything. Our travel to Finca Rosa Blanca started out a bit stressed since we found ourselves horribly lost in San Jose. By the way, renting a GPS device highly recommended in Costa Rica! When I called Carlos at the property to see if he could help us with directions, he was amazing! Not only did he stay on the line with me for over an hour, he also sent a driver, David, to lead us to the location. We became quickly known as "the lost Americans". Everyone at Finca was incredibly kind and helpful...we dealt with Carlos, David, Toto, Omar and Wilson. Service was exceptional! Rooms and food perfect, as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear CmcLewis;So nice to read your great review and with such enthusiasm! We always hope our guests will leave with this feeling so it is very uplifting for all of us to read your kind words. Carlos, like all of our staff, love to serve our guests and to pamper them in every way. When you are lost, we feel we are needed and we make every effort to make sure you are not wanting. I will tell all the staff; Toto, Carlos, Marcos, David and the rest that you loved your trip. See you next time!
California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

In June of 2013 I forced my fairly home-body family to come to Costa Rica with me for my wedding. My father even got his very first passport for the occasion. I knew they would love it once they got here, but I wanted to introduce them to the country in a gentle friendly way.

Finca Rosa Blanca was perfect! It's very close to the airport, so my family could relax after a long flight, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle that it was not scary to them. Pro-tip: the drive up the hill is insane! Small curvy roads through a super cute town dotted with bikes, cows, wandering dogs...

FRB picked up my family from the airport ($30 for all of them) while we waited for our rental car. They waited for them at the airport with a clear sign and took great care of them on the way. When my fiance and I finally got the FRB we arrived to yells from the bar "heeey !!! come drink!!!" as my family had ALREADY settled in to this incredibly lovely little hotel.

The rooms: stunning, comfortable and cool. No need for AC up here. The decor is very authentic and local. I particularly loved the locally crafted metal work. Bathrooms were great with plenty of hot water and the tap water was delicious and safe. If you are nervous they also have filtered water at many locations throughout the property so you can fill up your own water bottle.

The food was delicious, especially the breakfasts and the fresh fish at dinner time.

The coffee plantation tour was way better than I expected. The guide was super informative and interesting. The coffee tasting at the end was also eye-opening!

Finally, the staff here are simply fabulous. They took amazing care of my wedding guests and made them feel super safe and comfortable. They had great recommendations for things to do and were incredibly friendly at all times. The massage therapist who works there was trained in the US and is truly superb.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karla; I am so glad your family enjoyed their stay with us! We love to take care of people and we feel that the minute you get out of the airport, we will be there to show you the kind of service and friendliness that we all want when we travel. The climate is indeed almost perfect; warm days and very cool nights for sleeping under the covers. Even on the hottest of days, there is a cool breeze that flows through all the main house and each room, as you know, has its own private terrace so our guests can spend time outside looking at the incredible views down to the Central Valley below. In March and April, the coffee plants bloom and this is a site to behold, and then the perfume they exude for those few days is an incomparable olfactory experience. I am very happy you got a chance to get a therapeutic massage from Karina and Pablo- they are indeed some of the best I have ever encountered and their experience and love for what they do really translates into a great spa session.

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!