“Beautiful, wonderful place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Barbara
New York City, New York
“Beautiful, wonderful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I made the decision to stay here rather than in San Jose upon arriving in Costa Rica. It is really close to the airport but is far removed from the city.

The roads leading in wound through other plantations, farms and greenery. We were greeted with drinks upon arrival. The overall laid back vibe was the perfect way to start a vacation. The property is large and beautiful. Well kept, lush gardens, hand made iron lanterns and other iron work that was done by a local artist.

We stayed in the mainhouse which had hand painted murals also by a local artist. There was a large sky roof open area with a small fire place that was beyond charming. Our room had a private deck that overlooked the farm and you could see the lights of San Jose in the distance.

The pool was like a little private lagoon, really quiet, clean and had more lush gardens surrounding it.

We went on the tour of the farm and simply fell in love with the guide, learned a ton about coffee farms, the difference between plantations and organic farms. He taught us the importance of all of the plants and instincts. At the end we did a cupping and got to taste the difference as well. Was just fun. A little bit of a work out, definitely worked up an petite, which leads me to my favorite part... the food!

Everything is cooked fresh. I ordered a mojito and the server went and picked fresh mint! There was a cooking class and the ingredients were all incredible, like eating it straight from the ground.

The office will help you set up activities offsite if you are interested. We went zip lining in the cloud forest and they took us to a local restaurant to eat that was delicious as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear TianaRutledge; I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at Rosa Blanca and also for talking about your great appreciation of what it is we are trying to do and have been doing for the past 25 years: make sure our guests have incomparable and responsibly created experiences. From the unique farm to table restaurant, to the coffee, to the activities and even the place we are located- some 15 km from the capital city of San Jose in the best coffee growing area of Costa Rica- all is part of our idea to create an unforgettable vacation.
Again thank you so much for appreciating our little work of art and I hope we wills ee you again soon here for part 2 of Finca Rosa Blanca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mims, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We only stayed here one night so that we could be near to the airport the last day of our trip. Finca Rosa Blanca is about 20 minutes from the airport but seems far removed from the city. It is difficult to find, even with a GPS. We asked a taxi driver who gave us free directions and we found the beautiful inn. Each room is different, with beautiful murals and wrought iron balconies overlooking the plantation. Our room had a small kitchenette, Jacuzzi tub, beautiful tile work, and the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in. We loved the beautiful grounds, gardens, and pool. The restaurant had excellent food. We didn't have time for the coffee tour since we came too late in the day. It's close to a number of attractions. Poas Volcano Park is about 45 minutes from here we understand. The Inn staff park your car in a locked, guarded lot about 100 feet from the main entrance. Very safe place. We could have easily spent one week here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travel_Explorers; Thanks so much for your great description of your stay and for mentioning the details which we think are so important. Actually, our "slogan" is, "it's about the sum of the details". We believe that comfort and activity are two aspects that must be perfect; for instance, we bought the best beds possible and use bamboo fiber and 1000 thread count sheets which is why you said that it was "the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in". Thanks also for commenting about our "farm to table" restaurant and the excellent food, which we consider as one of the most important aspects of our guests' experience. We have our own organic greenhouse, fruit orchards and organic chickens who give us unbelievably delicious eggs. Next time you musty come, as you said, for a week to really take advantage of our activities, tours and coffee experience.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was a perfect last destination in Costa Rica. We stayed only two nights, and we want to return for sure. The idea was to stay somewhere near the airport (15 mins) but not in the city. Someplace that would be different that would extend our nature holiday, and that is what we got. The place was one of the most beautiful spots we have ever stayed at, with a 4 star rating and a 5 leaf rating for sustainable tourism. i may be a little biased here as I just love mountains in general. The staff (carlos, marcos and wilson) were just amazing, with helpful suggestions, and going out of their way to help, now that's customer service. The view from the restaurant overlooked the city, and we enjoyed that view on both nights we were there. The food was at par with high-end restaurants here in Toronto. Our room was large and comfortable, with a ceiling fan but no a/c, which was fine as the nights were cool. This is a boutique hotel so do not expect the amenities available to be similar to the 4/5 star places in a large city. Our main regret was we did not experience the coffee plantation or the pool. The one full day we had was spent at Poas volcano and La Paz. Simply said, I would return in a heartbeat

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Sohail M: Thanks for the kind words about Rosa Blanca and for mentioning our staff "(carlos, marcos and wilson) were just amazing, with helpful suggestions, and going out of their way to help, now that's customer service". I am glad that you enjoyed the resort so much and yes, you should really come back again to experience some more activities and have some more great meals. Santa Barbara de Heredia and our farms, as you said, is one of the most beautiful areas in the world (I totally admit that am not objective here) and I am glad you were impressed with this as well
Again thanks for writing in and we'll see you next time!.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed for 2 nights as we are beachbums that need sun and waves on their holiday. But our stay was definitely worth it. To sum it up, everything is pretty amazing, the staff, the rooms, the food and the location. We were greeted at the airport by our lovely driver and as we arrived at FRB the delightful experience with nice staff continued. They are not just serving you, they are engaging in conversations about culture, food etc. and also willing to improve my basic Spanish language skills. The coffee tour was a highlight and opened our eyes to a more sustainable way of living. The food is incredible especially the Ceviche and the steak. Don't forget to visit the pool and relax in the jacuzzi. This place will make you forget about any worries and relax you after just a day. We can highly recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert H; Such a nice review and all the way from Australia! Thanks for all the observations and for sharing them with the TA readers. I can tell you really took advantage of many of our activities and food menus which really adds to the enjoyment. As I always mention, a stay of at least three nights is really best to enjoy, as you did, all the attributes of the hotel. Thanks so much for writing in and letting the readers know about your experiences here. Hopefully, there will be another trip to Costa Rica in your future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of August almost a year ago and just now getting around to post my review. Really wanted to because this is such a special place! Showed up late Friday night, spoke with the front desk on my thoughts of what I might want to do during my 4 nights......woke up to an organized agenda typed out, including all my requests.

Loved the coffee plantation tour, my room was amazing, food was great and overall the service was fabulous. Highly recommend! I will be beck!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Dld8; Thanks for coming back to write this nice review- we appreciate your efforts. it will be one year soon and maybe it is time to come back?
Thanks again for remembering and for taking the time to write in.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

What an amazing experience at the Finca! First and foremost, the place is aesthetically beautiful and has that awe factor! The staff here are first rate.
They are kind, professional, and genuinely nice people! They go out of their way to be helpful! We were picked up at the San Jose airport on time and had a smiling face to greet us at the airport. When we arrived at the Finca, we met the receptionist Toto who could be called "mr. personality"... He was welcoming, funny, and singing!

Then Willison gave us the tour of the grounds, and brought us to our room. He made sure to show us the features, specifics, and gave us our itinerary. He is an amazing guy and makes you feel welcome and as if you were a long time friend!
The food at the Finca is superb! We had everything from hamburgers to Tilapia in banana leaves! The service was outstanding ! The waiters, Jorge and Omar are so funny and accommodating! They don't just serve food, they tell jokes, share info about CR culture and make dining fun!!! We went on the coffee tour with Leo and learned how to professionally sample coffee! He was the most knowledgeable, and intelligent guide! The tour was informative and fun!!!
After the coffee tour, my hubby and I both got spa treatments. He got the coffee detox, and I got the the chocolate bliss! Two hours of pure blissful indulgence. The massage practitioners are a husband and wife team and are consummate professionals! We will remember the aromatherapy used in the treatment probably forever!
On our last day at the Finca we took a guided tour with guide Manolo to San Jose. We went to the National Museum, the Fine Arts Palace, the Market and many other noteworthy places. Manolo was incredibly knowledgeable about San Jose and made the tour memorable!
All in all, La Finca Rosa Blanca is a wonderful place and if there is a heaven, I hope it will be like here! Pura Vida!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hola Iwasko; I want to thank you for writing about our coffee resort and for sharing your experiences with others who may be looking for a place like ours. Toto is such a charming and funny man who as you found out, loves to sing and dance. Also, I will make sure to copy this review and your nice observations to Wilson,Omar, Jorge and of course Leo, who is just a superb coffee expert and really makes the coffee tour an exciting adventuresome and delicious activity. His disciple and also a certified guide, Ulises is also wonderful and enthusiastic and if you come back soon, you will have to try a coffee tour with him. Manolo, of course, is our famous bird expert and naturalist guide- he has been with us for 16 years- and he loves to interpret the experiences with a super interesting, educational yet exciting tour. You enjoyed the capital city San José and next time we will take you tot he Casa de Cultura (The museum of culture) and then off to the Heredia Central Market, which is as authentic and interesting as it gets, where you can see stalls of everything from saddles to toys to every food you can imagine, to spices to little restaurants- all under one roof and taking up a city block.

Again thanks for taking the time to write in to Trip Advisor.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was my husband's and my first stop on a four-ecolodge tour of Costa Rica, our first trip anywhere tropical (we're from Alberta, Canada) and our first experience with ecolodges. Finca Rosa Blanca had its work cut out for it when we arrived. First of all Costa Rica was my bucket-list trip - I didn't know why but I needed to come here at least once in my life, so I had planned it for about a year, a long time for expectations to grow. Second, my husband and I are both chained to computers and other soul-sucking technology in our daily lives so we had to unplug.

We were warmly greeted when we arrived in a way that said, "You've made it here, relax and drink it all in." Our travel expert suggested we stay at least two nights here to begin our vacation and she was right. Sometimes it takes time to relearn how to allow yourself to take time, and it started for us when we first sat down in the beautiful dining area to have our first lunch, a casado style meal we would soon be seeking out everywhere we went (I love them!).

We strolled along the trails, played in the awesome pool and hot tub, watched birds and fireflies from our terrace and allowed ourselves to take in this new and wonderful country. Gradually, checking on email became unnecessary and the iPad saw less and less daylight. There are many different impressions I got from Finca Rosa Blanca. It is relaxed and cultural and very romantic! The solar-lit winding stroll to supper was something I looked forward to each night. It is beautiful in the sunshine and in pounding rain. The rooms and buildings have a home-made quirky feel to them with curves, windows and doors you don't quite expect. Tiles and stone floors are cool to the touch and not so perfect that they lose their soul. Finally the owner's artwork (and other's) could be seen in various places when you look around and for me they gave me sense of place and of a past that lies just under the surface, exactly the way you feel when you are a guest in someone's home. Leo, the plantation's coffee expert, led us on, what I can only call an odyssey, of not just organic coffee growing but of history, culture, politics and economics. I still can't figure out how he can speak so seamlessly about so much interconnected information! Our small group, especially two 40-something ladies me included, were enthralled (he is handsome), and I am still thinking about many of the things I learned from him.

We returned to FRB for our final night in Costa Rica about 10 days later. This time it was like returning home to our old friends. We stayed in another room, so different from the first one and just as charming. This time I knew where everything was, like home, and we both soaked in one last wonderful evening and morning. I will be thinking and daydreaming about this place and about Costa Rica for some time to come. I think this is the perfect place for someone unfamiliar to the country to start off from, and return to. My warm thanks to all the staff and the owner.

A final note: We stayed at both lower-cost and higher-cost ecolodges and it was fascinating to me to see how four very different five leaf ecolodges interpret the concept of sustainability. FRB is one of two higher-end places we chose and it was worth every penny of saving up (and it is, I think, the only one with a perfect eco score). Finally, ecolodges in general offered us an intimate interaction with the people, flora and fauna of this beautiful country and it felt empowering to leave it with minimal impact. Maybe a grandchild will come visit someday and experience it the way we did :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gale; Thanks so so much for writing such a sweet review of our little resort. It is always a thrill to see such nice comments, made with a sincere feeling of satisfaction, and also we appreciate the time you took to write up such a thorough review. We are very proud, as are all the hotels in the CST program (sustainability) to create high end luxury experiences while still committing 100% to conservation, education, client services and socio economic participation in our communities. The fact that you appreciate this- as do most of our guests- -really motivates us to do even more and to try to keep this balance between exceeding expectations and making our guests feel that they are staying at a hotel that cares about the planet. I hope next time you will be able to stay for many more days so you can try some more of our activities, tours and services we offer here in the Coffee Highlands..
Again, thanks for the nice comments.

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!